MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Re: Disc Mfg And Series - Rate Them!

I also realized after listening to KJ tools more in depth I have to knock them down a knotch or 3....I would have been told that sound choice might be better than DK also..I am still listen to my cd's for that..some songs yea some songs no..but I dont wanna buy SC cause I can't get the last song off of em
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Gotrich,
if you read the microstudio, you can find out how to get the last song off of the multisession disks.
Gary
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:10 AM

URGHHHHH!!!!!!!! Oh I hate multisession!!!! I have only 3 disk that are this way and only have hoster. I don't want to buy the other program because I don't cpoy my cd's, and I only have 3 songs. I wont buy top tunes anymore cause I can't get the last song and I have found no way to get them....ARG!!!!!

This is sad because I want to buy the foundations and bricks from soundchoice when I get the money.

Also I think Legends disk might be the best .. DK is good but what is the reason they have that weird horn or almost like a muted signer sound that I hear?
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM

I own SC Foundation I and all 5 bricks. You shouldn't have any problems with these (I didn't). I don't know if you are also planning on SC Foundation II, but if you buy SCFD I & the Bricks you will have an awful lot of repeat songs if you buy SCFD II.
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:22 AM

Purchasing Microstudio would be a great way to end your frustration with Multi-Session discs. To me it would be worth the 40 bucks.

More and more manufacturers are using this as a way to deter pirates that have units that mass produce illegal copies. It definately gives them headaches but all it does is slow them down a bit.

I have found that most of the Multi-Session discs are SC ,Chartbusters, Top Tunes. Unfortunately they are all good quality products.

Microstudio will come in handy for you down the road if you are planning to stay the course with Hoster.

Flipper
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper
Purchasing Microstudio would be a great way to end your frustration with Multi-Session discs. To me it would be worth the 40 bucks.

I have found that most of the Multi-Session discs are SC ,Chartbusters, Top Tunes. Unfortunately they are all good quality products. Flipper
Flipper, I have a multi-session CDG by Sound Choice number SC-8752. Can Microstudio read this CDG in and store the 15 songs back to a blank CD in the normal .cda format?
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Steve I do not have this disc number so I do not know if it is a multi-session disc or a mediacloq. Does it say mediacloq below the disc number on the lower right hand side?

If so I have not been able to copy these discs. I have had plenty of suggestions on other programs available out there, and even had detailed steps to follow. Neither of my 2 MTU plextor drives will copy mediacloq.

If it is a true multisession disc then you can do a search on this forum and find a wealth of information on how to do this. I have had no problems with multisession discs following instructions posted in the forum. Unless SC has changed their multisession methods recently. The instructions should work for you.

Sorry I could answer your question with regards to this exact disc.

I would be happy to share with you those programs and instructions if you will PM me. Perhaps they will work for you. It really depends on the type of burner you have. The download is free.

Flipper
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Chartbuster is # 1
Top Tunes # 2
Soundchoice use to be great but has fallen off.
Sweet Georgia Brown is terrible.
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:14 AM

Re: DK Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_g
Song Factory bought them out. I have one of their discs that were made after the mellinum set and am not impressed with it. but that doesn't mean that the set offered isn't the original Millenium set. It is slitly different than the original DK 1-99 series though. But not that much different.
I did a database comparison between the original DK 1-99 and the millenium a while back, and there are a little over 300 songs in the original set that are not in the millenium set
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns
As am Elvis impersonator myself, I find most of us prefer the chartbuster for accuracy in music. The lyrics are sometimes changed, but for the most part we don't need them anways.

I do it MY WAY.
For Elvis tracks, if you want true to the original sound, there is no alternative. You must go with either King Tracks or Golden Voice. Unfortuantely King Tracks discs are somewhere around 70-80 dollars per disc, and Golden Voice are much higher, but you put them side by side with Chartbusters or Music Maestro and the difference is like night and day. I run sound for an Elvis Impersonator, and we sat down and played them...I could not believe the difference. If you have a chance, check them out. Some of the King Tracks discs are cd+g, but most are just back tracks. Golden Voice are back tracks only...no lyrics.
Old December 21st, 2004, 03:33 AM

what is the difference between a back track and a cdg?
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
what is the difference between a back track and a cdg?
Back tracks are just backing music, no graphics/lyrics.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM

Some one was talking about Chartbusters......Remember about the problem of importing the last track into Hoster? How can we call Chartbuster good if I can't use the last track?

Chris,
AWare Ent.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM

Remember JVC CDG's......Ha Ha Ha!!!! They!!!!! were the worst!!!!!!
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:19 PM

Re: All capable of Good Sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahern
Quote from Mlepine:

I don't think we can say one brand is good or bad, they're all capable of doing good or bad arrangements.

I don't want to disagree. However, I have to add my anti-testimonial.

Music Maestro consistently has a fake sound on all the discs that I have. Every now and then I have a song on MM that I don't have somewhere else so I keep the discs, but the brand sends shivers up my spine!!
Sorry Jahern but it's my turn to disagree with you!

Just bought 3 MM disk today, one of them is 6410 and I find it to be excellent! I don't think the arrangement is the issue on there new stuff but the quality of the recording. I extracted the music using wavelab and normalised it & the sound is much better. The same happen to me using Backstage, some were recorded at -6db so of course it doesn't sound right! The amount of time I get good feedback on my recording using what people call cheap brand, you wouldn't believe, let's not get confused with bad arrangements & bad recording
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

MM used to be good for POP music because they used synths so much. However, MM would use a synth for guitar and other natural instruments in rock music and it sounded fake. I used to think MM was a MIDI house before they started doing karaoke but not sure. In any case, I have all the original MM CDG's and I would guess that 70% of the songs are unfortunately below average. I hear they have improved but to little, too late for me.
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM

Good Brands

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about good brands. I am boycotting SC because of all the trouble I have had importing that brand of disks even though in the majority of cases the sound quality is excellent.
I have started buying Karaoke Bay disks at the Local Wal-mart and found the sound quality and ease of singing from them to really good. And $9.88 per disk is right in my budjet.
I also like DK and found them on sale at Karaoke.com for less than $8.00 per disk none of my regular singers have complained at all about quality.
Hits monthly I really like this brand I have some I sing from at every show. Whether Pop, Rock, or Country they sound good and my singers will request that version. Not to be confused with Pop or Country hits Today.
If you are into Motown Then Singing Machines Original Artist series is wonderful. They use the original Sound tracks and who wouldn't want to sing with Marvin Gaye or The Miracles. They even use original artists as the backup singers.
The brands I stay away from the most is Music Maestro, ultimate Karaoke, and Sybersound Dance versions. The Sybersound Billboard versions are okay.
I generally sing the Chartbuster versions the most I have quite a number of them.

John
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM

I agree with you about Karaoke Bay, in fact, I don't believe they make any of their arrangement, some are an exact copy of a Pocket Song, Top Tunes... but with better mastering!

Another great choice is All Star Karaoke found at Wal-Mart in the USA, they sound and look like a Top Tune but for a lot less!

SC, they usually make excellent recording but sometimes so off key and way too electronic or not enough acoustic instrument but always EXCELLENT on the graphic!
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM

Brands

Thanks for the heads up on All star disks haven't bought any of those yet I had a bad experience with the Ultimate Karaoke brand disks from Walmart thought they might be the same deal. I also like the Zoom brand I have a Eagles disk that is great. I sure am not willing to pay $400.00 for the Sound Choice Eagles Disk. Doesn't matter how good the quality is. I also think it is all what you are used to I have a Doors Disk that is made by Standing Ovation really great songs but really hard to sing from because they don't give you any ques as to when to sing like Chartbuster, Sound Choice, Karaoke Bay etc do.If you don't really know the song you will find yourself getting off. I had to practice for hours til I memorized the breaks and beggining points.
My criterion for what makes a good disk is fairly simple. It has to have a clear recording at a good volume level, It has to be easy to sing from good synch and definately cues for when the breaks are and when to start singing again.
My biggest headache other than singer rotation is that not all disks are recorded at the same level and I have to adjust the volume of the music to not either drown out the singer or singer drowning out the music. The brands I mentioned I liked in this post and my last post in this thread all are recorded with good sound quality and level and are fairly easy to sing from.

Last edited by Karaoke John; July 21st, 2005 at 02:16 PM. Reason: adding a phrase