MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM

QSC Speaker Problem...

I have a set of QCS K-12 speakers. They do not fit my speaker poles very well and will drift around on the pole.

They do not have locks like most speakers.

Does anyone here know how to solve this problem?
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Re: QSC Speaker Problem...

Are your speaker poles a non standard size ?
Apart from getting someone to engineer an adapter to fit your pole with a tapered top to fit tight in your speaker I can only think of a bodge job with pvc electricians tape.
If you measure how far the pole enters the speaker and mark a line there, then wrap a few turns of the pvc tape round the pole just level with the line, not all the way up the poll till you acquire a snug fit.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Are your speaker poles a non standard size ?
Apart from getting someone to engineer an adapter to fit your pole with a tapered top to fit tight in your speaker I can only think of a bodge job with pvc electricians tape.
If you measure how far the pole enters the speaker and mark a line there, then wrap a few turns of the pvc tape round the pole just level with the line, not all the way up the poll till you acquire a snug fit.
Roy,

My speaker poles are standard poles. This is the only speakers that have done this and from what I have read, it is a QSC thing!

It's hard to believe that speakers that cost this much ($1,700/pair USD) don't have any kind of locking mechanism...

I have found some adapters, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I was hoping someone here may have a cheaper solution. I had already considered what you suggested...

Thanks for your time!
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
VIP

What do you mean 'drift around on the pole'? Do they spin on their own - with the beat of the music, they tend to move?
I've never heard of that problem with those before. I'd also suggest what was mentioned, tape the top of the poles, maybe with a double sided tape or something similar.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
What do you mean 'drift around on the pole'? Do they spin on their own - with the beat of the music, they tend to move?
I've never heard of that problem with those before. I'd also suggest what was mentioned, tape the top of the poles, maybe with a double sided tape or something similar.
Huh, I have the opposite problem with one of my powered JBL eon15 . One of them sometimes just seems a bit too tight on the pole and it takes two people to twist and turn the speaker , while one holds down the pole in order to remove the speaker.

Old July 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Lonman,

That's exactly what they do. They do not fit snug on the pole and do not have a locking thumb screw like all the other speakers I own. The mounting holes are not standard size on the QSC speakers.

I have already considered taping, but wanted to avoid that "sticky" situation.

As I stated earlier, I have found some adapters to correct this problem, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I think it is pathetic that QSC makes these awesome sounding speakers with this problem. A locking mehanism couldn't cost much more to add...

Having to use 50 cent worth of tape tape to hold a speaker costing this much, is ridiculous
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
Lonman,

That's exactly what they do. They do not fit snug on the pole and do not have a locking thumb screw like all the other speakers I own. The mounting holes are not standard size on the QSC speakers.

I have already considered taping, but wanted to avoid that "sticky" situation.

As I stated earlier, I have found some adapters to correct this problem, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I think it is pathetic that QSC makes these awesome sounding speakers with this problem. A locking mehanism couldn't cost much more to add...

Having to use 50 cent worth of tape tape to hold a speaker costing this much, is ridiculous
There are two diameters for speaker stand poles. It sounds like you have the standard. I don't remember the size right off hand but they make adapters that go over the pole to fill the void in the larger socket that some manufactures use. You should be able to get the adapters at any large music store such as Americanmusicalsupply.com. If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can dig some up.

Walt
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
There are two diameters for speaker stand poles. It sounds like you have the standard. I don't remember the size right off hand but they make adapters that go over the pole to fill the void in the larger socket that some manufactures use. You should be able to get the adapters at any large music store such as Americanmusicalsupply.com. If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can dig some up. Walt
Walt,

As I stated earlier, I've found some adapters, but they will cost more (~$80 Each) than buying new stands.

But, I'm not sure buying new stands will solve my problem. I don't suspect the speaker will fit snug enough keep it from drifting and still be loose enough to be removed from the stand!

The bottom line, the speakers need a locking screw which is not possible...
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
VIP

Quote:
Walt,

As I stated earlier, I've found some adapters, but they will cost more (~$80 Each) than buying new stands.

But, I'm not sure buying new stands will solve my problem. I don't suspect the speaker will fit snug enough keep it from drifting and still be loose enough to be removed from the stand!

The bottom line, the speakers need a locking screw which is not possible...
I have adapters that I only have had to use once or twice with friends speakers. I can't imagine $80.00 for a pair of adapters. Let me look into it and get the measurements to give you a reference and I will get back to you.

Walt
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
have adapters that I only have had to use once or twice with friends speakers. I can't imagine $80.00 for a pair of adapters. Let me look into it and get the measurements to give you a reference and I will get back to you.

Walt
Walt,

That would be greatly appreciated...
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
VIP

This is the adapter I was speaking about. It converts the standard 1 3/8 speaker stand to 1 1/2". The cost is $4.95 each. They can be purchased at www.americanmusicalsupply.com

Hope this helps.

Walt
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM

Walt,

Thanks for the information. I just ordered two of these and will let you know how they work for me...

Again, Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
VIP

Quote:
Walt,

Thanks for the information. I just ordered two of these and will let you know how they work for me...

Again, Thanks!
You are welcome.

Walt
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Walt,

My adapters came in today. They "do not" work...

They fit on the poles fine, but do not fit the speakers. They are too large!

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

These speakers seriously need locking screws...

Thanks anyway...
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
VIP

Quote:
Walt,

My adapters came in today. They "do not" work...

They fit on the poles fine, but do not fit the speakers. They are too large!

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

These speakers seriously need locking screws...

Thanks anyway...
Sorry to hear that. I gave you the measurements for the standard stands and the adapter (1 3/8" to 1 1/2". What is the size of your speaker input?
Apparently they are larger then 1 1/2". If so, I have never come across that type of application.

Walt
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I gave you the measurements for the standard stands and the adapter (1 3/8" to 1 1/2". What is the size of your speaker input?
Apparently they are larger then 1 1/2". If so, I have never come across that type of application.

Walt,

According to the QSC manual, the hole is 35mm (35 millimeters is equal to 1.38 inches).

That's a fraction over 1 3/8 inches and is enough to allow them to drift around on the pole...

I guess I just going to have to use tape on the poles, which I hate to do...
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
VIP

Quote:
Walt,

According to the QSC manual, the hole is 35mm (35 millimeters is equal to 1.38 inches).

That's a fraction over 1 3/8 inches and is enough to allow them to drift around on the pole...

You could also use heat shrink. They make it big enough to use for your needs. It would hold up a little better than tape.

Walt
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM
VIP

Quote:
Walt,

Work on a foreign car, and you need a metric wrench set... buy speakers that are in millimeters, and maybe your stands need to be foreign also! Just sayin'...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Work on a foreign car, and you need a metric wrench set... buy speakers that are in millimeters, and maybe your stands need to be foreign also! Just sayin'...
RIKKI TIKKI,

How about you tell me how to buy them otherwise!!!
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:18 AM
VIP

Matched Set...

I was being a little facitious, and I apologize for making that comment without explanation...

I too had to adapt 4 Pioneer speakers, and two separate pairs of stands when I first started 15 years ago... one set of stands fit better than the other set... but I didn't have the problem of speaker movement that you are experiencing... maybe my setup wasn't as powerfull as what you have now... I now use a Bose PAS System with superb results, so my Pioneers with stands have been in the storage locker for the last 6 or 7 yrs!

Hope you find a solution, without going to the expense of matching to expensive adaptors!

Rick

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A