MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 1st, 2002, 08:42 PM

Any usefull tips?

I only downloaded Vogone 2 yesterday, having never used any MTU products before.
I've read the manual twice as suggested elswhere on this forum.
I cannot seem to reduce any vocal to anything like an acceptable level.
Cher's "Just like Jessie James" has been the main guinnea pig, but all I seem to manage, is a very hollow/empty sounding track, with no drums, and a quite promenent "Squeaky" main vocal.
Am I doing it wrong? Have I just chosen an unsuitable track? Am I expecting too much? Does wisdom come with familiarity and experience? If anyone has any tips to help me along, I'd be grateful.
Old February 2nd, 2002, 02:24 AM
Frequent Member

Go through the threads that interest you in this forum. There are alot of good tidbits if you really search for them.
Old February 4th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Try other songs

The fact that you hear the drums removed indicates they are panned at the same location as the vocal, and that you are removing them. Try 5 different songs from 5 different CDs if you can. If not, at least 5 different songs.

You should not expect to hear a perfect recording without any vocals. The reverberation echoes will always remain. They cannot be removed by any product. It is a rare song that will not have some musical loss at the same time. Trying different songs will give you a better perspective.

You are listening to this in a quiet room. Vocal reducers are only going to reduce - not remove - the main vocal track so you can mask them by singing over them. That is what Vogone does.

If you click the Low aduster play button and move its slider to the left and right, you should hear some of the drums low frequency come and go in tradeoff against the low frequency of the singer.

Do the same with the High play button and move the adjuster to the left and right and hear the tradeoff against the vocal.

These two adjustments are better made when you click the Play Vogone 2 button, assuming you have followed the manual and made all the overall adjustments. Then, you can hear all the processors computing live at the same time. As you move the Low or High adjusters now, you will hear the total effect on the music. Yes, some of the vocal will become louder, but so will some of the music. If the tradeoff is not pleasing, move the adjuster back and lose more of the music frequencies and the vocal.

One very important point that many users overlook. To do a good job on removing vocals, you must have good quality audio to listen to. This means a decent D/A audio output card, and especially some decent quality speakers (say at least $60 or more for the pair). If you can't hear the sounds, you can't remove them correctly.