MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 26th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Karaoke books

I have been with Hoster now for just about a year. I have read the forums and found them quite interesting and helpfull. One topic that I have not seen asked or addressed is karaoke books. I do shows at several places, and one bar in particular is especially hard on my books. As my song list gets longer, and the wear and tear does it's job, I replace my books quite often. Has anyone come up with the solution? The three ring binders sure do get abused; plus the so-n-so who takes the page out and brings it up to you to ask " if you have it" or he wants to sing that one. Some computer users no longer use books, but your singers still like to look through books. Any suggestions?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM

Smile tommyjonmon

I have been fighting the book thing forever. As long as you deal with drunks and booze the books will eventually loose.

I am now getting the most miles out of my books that I ever have and here's what I do. I use a wilsonjones 1 and 1/2 inch 3 ring (flat on one side) locking binder that holds 400 sheets. I use avery clear premium heavyweight sheet protectors (3.3mils) that come in a 200 pak box from Costco... way cheaper than office supplies. I also add a little pouch for the pens and the karaoke slips. After I stuff the books I take a roll of black electrical tape and cut 3/4-1 inch strips. I then attach the tape to the metal rings where they interlock, then add a little superglue as I wrap the rest of the tape around the ring and usually add a little more glue. The trick is to keep your fingers moving constantly or the will definitely end up attached to your book. My fingers end up slick because of the drying superglue and yes it is a messy job, but when some drunk drops a heavy book on the floor, it doesn't come apart.

Oh yeah, for the final touch. I add four little clear rubber feet to each side of the binder and clear duct tape over the feet. This keeps the book up off the beer and drinks on the table and the tape keeps the drunks from peeling of the rubber feet. Finally I keep black duct with me to patch up the books, because eventually they start to fall apart.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it is expensive, but my books last a long time.

Oh yeah, with update songs you have to cut the tape off and redo it. To WDEWDAD7 from Great Falls, I'm from Billings. Keep on Karaokin'
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:00 AM

Some great ideas. I will impliment them tonight. I may need your phone number to find out how to get my fingers cut loose from the binder rings, though...................
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM

I hope I didn't open a can of worms. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I have tried several things inre: karaoke books. Tape, glue, plastic gas line hose for the 3 ring binders, etc. I was just surprised that no body jumped on the bandwagon and made/created...Karaoke books. It would not be too hard to satellite a couple computers for singers to use/look up songs. Just more to haul around. Once being a traveling musician, I discovered....go as compact as you can, but don't lose quality. I like to get the best show, best sound and be as compact as possible. I know there is a satellite program where singers can look up songs and send their request right to your main karaoke computer; but, I also like the contact with my guests. I have already lessened the amount of books I use. I am continually adding new discs. It's the printing of the books that gets pricey. Some have discontinued books all together. I still use books and slips..for now. Singers like to have something in front of them to look at and do while waiting their turn. I agree, the drunks and rowdies take their toll on our books, mics, etc. Part of the job, just try to keep things in check. " I Love My Job"! I really do. To the KJ in Billings, my mainstay is "The OP" in Great Falls. I am known as " The Karaoke Guy ". I know, not very original, but my following named me. Drop in sometime, I will try to drop in Billings sometime. Still trying to get to see mindonstrike in Spokane. I think this forum is great! Makes for good business. Question, is their a forum where KJ's can list their venue, so other members can visit when in the area? I know when I am out of town, I like to look for karaoke. I usually find the bad ones first, then the good ones later in the evening, when they are winding it up. Seems to work that way. " Keep on singin'.
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Ring binders are all the time opening up and one way I've found to remedy it is to use small shrink tubing on the rings to bind them together. I find just doing the outside ones works well. The shrink tubing can be had at most lumber companies, your local wal-mart or radio shack.
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM

hmmm books

I play in some real dives sometimes but I make my money. problem is a electric book would get tore up each night cause there are some really stupid drunk kid/no respect people mixed with some of my best customers. My books last about 6months each. biggest problem is people writting on the page and putting back in the plastic sleeve. I buy the 2 binder from dollar store. plastic page covers and tada. cheap and works for me. I have a decent sixe book no 20,000+ but im atleast half way. what I do for my covers is take my cover sheet put it in a sleeveupside down that way the opening in facing down inside the cover of the binder so the beer if spilled goes in the binder cover it dont get my cover sheet wet.

other thing I do is I bought a large shipment of tiny keychain lights. I use fising line to keep them tied to a zipper on my puches under the front cover. if its in a dark part of the room they can use the light.. I use fishing line since of course they steal them from time to time. Fishing line breaks when they want it to and is clear so its neater than string.

lots of people love em expecially the older folks!

Rich
Dr. Karaoke
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM

3 ring binders

Try this one.In 2 plus years of putting 8 books out there 4 nights a week (4 by artest and 4 by song) I have yet to have one open up on me and its really quick and easy to undo and redo if needbe. All you do is solder the 2 outside rings.I recomend using a gun rather than an iron cause it takes a good bit of heat and contact to melt the solder in good. Use only rosin core solder and keep a rag handy to wipe off the exess rosin from the ring after it cools a bit.Also what I do to keep from having to unsolder so often to add more tunes is this. When I load up my book I put in 6 or 7 more document protecters than I know I will use.So now my finished book has protecters after the last page with no pages in them.When new songs come along,you just slip em right in there!!! P.S I love the idea about the keychain light and the rubber feet.Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM

new idea on keychains

i found that you can buy bungie key chain strap to attach the light too..even better than fishing string...sometime they steal both but less than a 1$ invested per book
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM

WILSON JONES manufactures three ring binders that the "tabs" at the ends have three positions, closed, an unlock, and an open. When they are in the full closed position you cannot even get the rings to open by pulling on the rings themselves, as you can with most binders.

You might want to buy one and toss it around to test it for your needs. I h deliberately threw a full one on the floor and it did not open.

I bought them at Office Depot, but they're probably available most anywhere.
You can tell them because the tabs at the ends have two positions other than closed, one that seems to be an unlock, and one that opens the rings.

Hope this works for you guys....dunno.

George
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Thanks George

I did not see them at our office depot but i'll look again.Did you notice if they are much more expensive than the regular ones?
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Been a while. I don't remember the price.

I don't think they were all that much different from the others or I wouldn't have bought it. I picked one up by accident, and didn't realize it was different until I went to use it for my songbook.

I'm not a KJ, but as a member of a private Karaoke club, take my turn at hosting our frequent get togethers.

The Mfg's name is embossed on the inside of the front cover. There was no special signs or display, or anything of that nature, just a wall of binders.

George
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Frequent Member

you have to buy the 2 1/2" or larger to get the heavy duty rings add extra sleeves for updates then tack weld the rings closed.
only way i found to keep the drunks from opening them. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:14 PM

pelletmon

Thats the way I've been doing it Bob.Also I find no need to tack the middle ring.Just the outer 2 will hold it together.When the time comes that I run out of sleeves and I haft to open it back up to add more,when I retack,I use a little soldering paste.That will make the weld nice and smooth like it was the first time.otherwise it tends to come out ragged and bumpy for some reason. Also,when you heat the rings to break the weld and pop the rings back open,Hot solder will fly.I've been burned more than once this way,so be careful.And if the hot solder lands on one of you sleeves,it will melt a hole in it.I put a rag over my pages to keep this from happining.P.S You do mean solder and not really "weld" right?
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Frequent Member

No i weld them, just a small tack will do it then file it smooth.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM

opps.my bad. sometimes when folks say weld,they mean solder (around here anyway) You must add a lot of extra sleeves.It sounds like after the rings are welded and filed it would be kinda hard to undo to add more.But I gotta say,its really cool to see how other folks are doing it.I've always told people that I've met who are thinking of getting into the entertainment bizz and ask for advice that they need to be able to think like Mcguiver, and be able to build a P.A out of a paper clip.If you cant think fast on your feet, best to stay off the stage. I've found a lot of great ideas in this forum.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
VIP

When I add new stuff, I try to keep it as one continuous section listed by title in alphabetical order. I do not like to continually add separate pages as I go along, so the welding thing might not be a good idea for those like me. Any other ideas?
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM

3 ring binders are not the answer. Post binders last much longer.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM

how many books?

I'd like some feedback on how many books you guys put out there for your audience on any givin night. Im sure it verys depending on the size of the club as it does for me. Where I play tuesday thru fri. seating cap. is about 170 (approx) I set out 8 books. Four are listed by artist and four by song. I use black binders for artist and white ones for song.That seems to take care of the demand for the most part,but sometimes i get singers asking where the books are and I haft to tell them they are all out on tables and they will haft to share.I've gone to other bars where the KJ will set out only 2 or 3 books and everyone has to fight over them.How do you guys do it?
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Your're right, it does depend on where. The place I have been doing karaoke regularly for the last 6 years ( Tuesday nights ), is actually the hardest on my books. I have toted up to 20 books in to try to keep everyone happy. Duh! When I started at another place on two other nights, I had 4 title and 2 artists. It worked there, and since I am continually adding new songs, it was getting expensive every time I reprinted new books. I used to have by title and by artist in the same book. Got way too big. I now carry in 5 title and 4 artist. I keep another 10 in the van in case I need to use more. I also use different color books for title and artist, so I can see where they are. But, they are never happy. There is always one table that seems to think THEY need all the books; so, when new people come in......I send the to that table. i hate the people who hang around the table and keep asking...do you have this? do you have that?? Even though I have Hoster, I will send them to find a book, and bring me a filled out slip. I tell them I need to concentrate on the person singing, they need my undivided attention, to make adjustments, and make them sound a good as possible, AND," I will give YOU the same attention when your turn to sing comes up". Works most of the time. I will search for songs for some regulars and an occassional hard to find song.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM

yep!

I could'nt agree more about the people hangin around the stage,buggin the hell out of you about "when is it MY turn"or"I need to sing right NOW cause I'm gettin ready to LEAVE"(then you notice an hour later that they are still there,don"t you just love that one?) We also must constantly watch for other (mostly really drunk)folks gettin in the singers faces in the middle of a song wanting to share the mike and sing with them.Thats always a hard one for me cause you rarely know if the singer came to the club with that person and they're cool with it ,or if they want you to come up and save them.Thats always a tricky one for me.P.S.I like your idea about keeping extra books in the van just in case.One question though.Do you keep those updated as well? It sounds like a lot of work.Thanks Billy.