MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old January 31st, 2003, 07:30 PM

Laptop w/Sony CRX810E cd-rw

I have a Sony Laptop w/ windows XP pentium 4. It has a Sony internal CRX810E cdrw/dvd. Checked and it states it read cdg's. When using microstudio it states it can not read and is an illigale command. Do I need new drivers or a new cdrw. Pleasse help!!!
Old February 4th, 2003, 11:05 AM

This is what happens with some of the Sony drives, when it comes up with Illegal command request this means that the drive doesn't support CD+G.

We have found numerous drives that will show Yes for Karoake under our Detect drives, but then when the program actually tells it to read the CD+G data off of the disc, it comes back with Illegal Command Request, from the drive. There is no way to make this drive work, the only drives that work are the plextor brands of drives.

For notebooks, you can cut down the Plextor S-88T or any of the other Slimline models to make them fit into any Notebook to work for CD+G.
Old November 17th, 2003, 01:29 PM

More info on Cutting Down Plextor

Hi,
Can you give me any more info on 'Cutting Down" the plextor slim line drives to fit inside my laptop as I am really going for a Karaoke Laptop System that doesn't require additional AC power for an external CD Drive. I want to be able to set my laptop down on the stool, and go! Just say no to extra wires!!
Thanks
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:31 PM

This drive is very hard to find now, and the new S-2410TU will not work for Karaoke.

I would doubt you would beable to find this drive anymore.

But if you can, you will have to open the drive, take it out of the case and then using something to cut the plastic, to make it fit into your Laptop.

It will void the warranty through Plextor, but it does work, if you get a good drive.

Every laptop will be different, so I am not sure what all you will have to cut on yours to make it fit, but you may be in for an hour or more of work to make it fit.
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:49 PM

What About External Version

So, I unfortuneatly found out that they do not make th internal S-88T anymore and after several days of looking, I can not find one. So do you know if the external version reads the CDG's? The model number is S-88TU which is the 8/8/24A external USB2 Drive.
An exact copy of the internal, just external. Their description specs claim that it reads CD+G.... Any thoughts?
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:52 PM

This was the drive that we used, the S-88TU. Sorry not to inform you of this before, but this is the drive that we had used. It should work for you no problem, as long as it doesn't break the graphics up on the disc.
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:44 PM

list of compatible drives?

Generic Greetings to the MTU Support-like Person:

Do yous have a comprehensive list of drives compatible with your disc duplication software? Also, what about processor speed, operating system and available RAM? I recently saw a sony drive on sale (CRU 200 series) and wondered if it would be compatible.

Pre-thanks in advance
José
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Another question for the support dude:

I would like to know if the following computers/drives (which were purchased within the last year) are compatible with your CD+G duplication software:

My brother gave me the following information about the DVD/CDRW internal drive on his Dell desktop:

Liteon DVD-ROM LTD 163 CDHG / HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-84008 B104

Also, I have a friend who owns an HP Pavilion 750N (she didn't tell me which kind of internal CD-RW drive came on her computer)

Much pre-thanks again
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:49 PM

CDG List

Most of MTU's software will work with the Plextor brand.

If you have another cdr-rw or dvd-rw that says it reads cdg you will need to choose another software to make it work. It could be excellent but it could also be terrible (lots of broken letters).

It's a question of Aspi driver or Mode that limits Microstudio & possibly Hoster to detect only a limited choice of brand.
They may have taken a good decision because Plextor is in fact the certified brand to have for cdg but on the other are limiting them self to one brand only.

Just to say you can go wrong with Plextor and that's on what ever software you wish to use.

Regards
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Clarification:

Plextor is not "in fact the certified brand" for cdg. Plextor makes no such certification.

MTU and MTU alone makes that certification because they bench test the drives they send out, and cull the rejects. Thus if you want a cdg certified burner, there's only one place to get it...MTU.

George
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Wink Certified

Your correct, Plextor will only be certified if purchase from MTU.

I wanted to say that it's the most reliable cdg player on market.

Thanks
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by José Hunter
Another question for the support dude:

I would like to know if the following computers/drives (which were purchased within the last year) are compatible with your CD+G duplication software:

My brother gave me the following information about the DVD/CDRW internal drive on his Dell desktop:

Liteon DVD-ROM LTD 163 CDHG / HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-84008 B104

Also, I have a friend who owns an HP Pavilion 750N (she didn't tell me which kind of internal CD-RW drive came on her computer)

Much pre-thanks again
Liteon has never supported the CD+G format for individual tracks or playing CDG discs, so I would not expect their DVD-ROM drive to either. You can test it with our Microstudio demo, downloadable from our home page.

HP does not use Plextor drives, so this computer would need to have a new CDR drive.

We used to have a list of all the CDR drives that partially supported the CDG format. I say partially because we typically rejected between 4 to 10 drives from a lot of 10 we would test at a time. However, all these drives except Plextor have been discontinued. We removed the list because it was misleading too many people. If you read the bottom of this page you will see the tests we run on our drives, and what you need to look for when testing a drive with Microstudio.