MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 4th, 2001, 11:54 AM

Unhappy

I notice an imperfection in my new cdg files. I get a wobbly sound similar to but significantly more pronounced than what I get with my Karaoke mixer. (Of course with that machine I am limited to producing wav files) Background vocals that I hear seem to be ok and as I listen most instruments seem to be fine. Violin sounds and low sustained sounds seem to wobble more than others.
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Do you notice this while playing in Keyrite, or when you take the output file and play it in Microstudio, or write it to a CDG disc and play it in a Karaoke player?

There is a problem with the play code in Keyrite itself, which is pronounced on slower computers, or possibly with interrupting tasks in the background.
Old March 5th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Another question we would like your input on. What key change button did you use when you hear the wobble sound? Was it -2, -3, -4, -5 or 2, 3, 4, 5? Without this, we are shooting in the dark to try to re-create your problem. Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2001, 09:38 PM

Before I purchased the program, I checked on my hardware requirements. I didn't think that ram was that crucial. I have since upgraded my ram to over 128 and the result seems to be at least as good as what my mixer can do. (Sorry for the scare.) There is still a little bit of wobbling and echo effect even at 256 mb but certainly something I can live with. Should I expect absolute perfection?
Old March 6th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Absolute Perfection... that's a tall order!

We are very concerned about the wobbling sound in KeyRite. The core algorithm used is - to my humble knowledge - the best available in the world. However, when idealism is fitted into reality, sometimes it is no longer ideal.

KeyRite is still young in the marketplace. We have some users very pleased, and others like yourself - probably with better trained ears - are not so happy.

I have now halted the development of Vogone II to go back and rework KeyRite. I have been in business for 30 years and have never once had complaints like we are now receiving. I either have to ignore my clients (God forbid!) or try to meet your expectations. We will try!

Can I ask you for some specifics to help us re-create your wobbling?

1. What processor type and speed are you running?

2. Are there any other programs at all running when you run KeyRite? For example, if there is a screen saver running, MAYBE (that's a big maybe ) it's causing a problem. It shouldn't but we are discovering some very incredible things on the PC today that we would never expect.

3. Do you notice the wobbling with a key change set to the -1 or 1 button? Is it as pronounced as with, say, a -3 or 3 button selection?

4. Can you email us 30-60 seconds of the song you are experiencing the wobbling in? That can be very important for us to re-create the wobbling artifact.

Thanks for your input. We're working on it now.

Absolute Perfection? Any digital signal processing will add some distortion in some audio, no matter how well it is tweaked for a "wide range" of songs. KeyRite is a VERY sophisticated tool that has been tweaked for some audio. We are now considering adding some additional controls to give you - the user - some ability to "tweak" the controls for a particular song. We are starting to think there is no way to cover all songs and instruments with preset tables.

If you can answer the 4 questions above, it will help us.

THANKS! We DESIRE your feedback to make our products better.
Old March 8th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Administrator

jahern answer transfered from a separate Thread

My processor speed is 300mhz. If this is crucial, I have to admit that I was encouraged before purchasing the software that this was ok, as well as my ram level at the time (even though I have since significantly upgraded)

I do the (ctl alt delete "end task") thing for all programs before I start any session of anything and I don't have a screen saver going.

I notice things even at -2. A Spanish song "A Puro Dolor" and Doors "Love Me Two Times" are songs that I have processed at -2. I certainly intend to use them as they are. I intend to use everything that I have processed after my RAM upgrade.

How can I do the E-mail thing? Chop up a wave of the processed file? Do I convert it to mp3 first? My E-mail service only allows 1mb size files. (Sorry about that) I am certainly willing to help in any way I can.
Old March 10th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Here's the scoop!

jahern helped us discover a bug in the CDG processing of KeyRite. Everything was fine in the WAV processing.

We should have a version of the new KeyRite code ready for beta testing late tonight.

Here is another discovery. If the vocals in a song have a chorusing effect added, it will not key change very well. The reason is chorusing adds a number of echos, each with a very slight delay. When you key change it, the echos interact in a flanging effect causing amplification of some frequencies and attenuation of others. Thus, a song with chorusing will not key change well.
Old March 10th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Administrator

30 second test wave file and its -3 key changed result

Here is a 30 second wave file and its -3 processed result using the new KeyRite code: http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/keyrite-wav-test.zip . It is 9MB in size. Please download it and see if anyone can hear any wobbling sound.
Old March 31st, 2001, 07:58 AM
Administrator

KeyRite Version 1.105 Released

http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/showthr...p?threadid=402 This should give you better results.