MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM

KJ's Place in the rotation

In general, I like to sing at the top of the order for several reasons.

First, it lets everyone know the show is starting, and signals that its time to start getting slips in if you haven't already.

Two, I can make announcements for the bar and in general I do this when I'm done ("I'm the Karaoke Koyote, here at phillips every tuesday night from 8:30 to 12:30 for all your karaoke and musical needs, make sure to take care of Lori behind the bar...etc."). Everyone knows thats the spot that I take a break for that.

Three, Here's the chance to mix it up a bit. Your singers might have put in 5 sappy songs in a row and the bar is ready to commit suicide... so you can put in something up beat for yourself.

Four, entertainment. I'll put on a fedora and sing "luck be a lady" by frank sinatra, or some big glasses and sing "Saturday" by elton john. I grab on of my regulars for a duet... "Cover of the rolling stone" by Dr. hook is a good one. I'll put on sunglasses and get on of the ladies to sing "love shack" with me. I do a trio with Two of my female regualars where we do "Boondocks".... Always a crowd pleaser.

And for a big laugh I take of my shoes and kneel on them (so it looks like I'm short), and get a lady singer to do "I got you babe" by Sonny and Cher... always gets a great response.

Or, as a way to get some "shy" karaoke virgins up to sing, I'll do one with them on my rotation, and if they want to do a solo afterwards... boom... they'll be at the bottom, so it won't look like the "Newbie" is hogging the show.

Of course, if the rotation is overly long, or its at the end of the night and I'm trying to get as many people in before closing I'll skip my spot.

Is this what everyone else is doing, or no?

The Karaoke Koyote