MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM

New CD Burner Down

About 2 1/2 months ago I purchased a CD burner from you guys there. This past weekend a CD exploded while it was in the player and the player went down. Never really had a thing like this happen before so how can I go about either getting the player replaced or refunded? I'm sure if you look under my account you will see the player. I notice that you no longer have this player for sale...you have moved to a new model. What can I do?
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Re: New CD Burner Down

I think you need to use the support email ticket for this problem.
http://www.mtu.com/kb/
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Ok...submitted the ticket. Thanks!

Lance
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:31 AM

Hello again, guys. It's going on three days now since I submitted the ticket on my burner and what to do about it. I'm kind of need of that burner because I'm down without it so if you could kind of guide me in what to do. Do I just need to buy another burner and perhaps we can work out a deal to make that my replacement and just sent the other one back to you? I just need to get back up and running soon. I'm a full time karaoke host and this is affecting things. Thanks!

Lance
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Did you get your auto response back with a ticket # this should come back almost immediately.
If not check your junk mail or that you entered your correct email address.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM

Yes, I did get my autoresponse. It just said that usually you get a response in 24 hours except weekends and holidays and it's going on three days now and I need to either get a new burner or something because this downtime is causing me some serious delays. I mean...if the suggestion is to get another burner and we will work it out with the other player that's cool. It just looks to me like the newer player isn't as good as the one that I have that I bought a couple of months ago. The one I have will read and burn at faster speeds that the one you guys are showing there now. Is it as good of a player as this "LITE ON" player that I have? I just want to get back up and running. I still have about 4000 songs to upload. Thanks!

Lance
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Lance, I'm just another user like yourself, I am not employed by MTU, I can only suggest what to do.
Can only suggest, Have you tried phoning Voice: 1-919-870-0344 or the live chat :
10am-12am EST - Thursday
10am-12am EST - Friday

This is written on the support page:
DVD Drive Repair

If a DVD drive purchased from MTU fails, fill out the Web Contact Form and select SUPPORT. If it is determined that the product has failed it is covered under our or the manufacturers' Warranty Policy. We will give you an RMA number to return the product to us. Write the RMA number clearly visible on the outside of the shipping carton. Any product returned to MTU without an RMA number will be accepted without any refund.

The full page can be found here:http://www.mtu.com/support/info.htm#ReturnsPolicy
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM

Well, I have left voicemails before and never hear back at all so I just kind of gave up on that. The chat never comes up on my computer anymore and I'm not sure why. I thought I found myself looking for the return policy but since you found it I guess I must have overlooked it. I will take a look at that. But, in the meantime I HAVE to get back up and running so I guess I need to just buy another burner to get me back on track and hopefully will get either a refund on the other or get it repaired. I just bought it about 2 months ago. Hopefully, Im not going to have to just eat this without getting it repaired or something. Up until it went out I liked the way the burner copied.

Lance
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM

Well, I gotta say. This is becomming a very disappointing experience. The MTU products are good when they run but if they ever go down I guess you're just kind of SOL which is where that leaves me right now. I received information stating that they could not honor fixing the drive after 30 days and I had to contact the manufacturer. So, they gave me the phone number and email address. Well, no one has answered my email address yet. So, I get on my cell phone earlier today and call the manufacturer....Liteon. Well, there is a long message about how you have to put credit card information in before you can even talk to a tech because once a tech answers they will charge you $1.40 a minute for the call. WHAT???!!! That's crazy. The burner is still under warranty. Or at least it should be. So, I go thru all the steps and put in my information like it says...even though I feel I shouldnt. Well, then it tells me that a $45 authorization will be put on the card. This is not a charge it says...this is just to verify that your card is good. So, I do all that. Then it tells me it will take a minute to verify my card and will return. Well, music plays for about 10 minutes and then ends...no one comes back...no instructions on what to do next..nothing. So, guess what? I hold on the phone for an hour and waste those minutes on my cell phone. I finally hang up when the line stays dead for an hour...I checked and it hadn't hung up..it was still showing the call was connected...just no one there. So, I come home and call them back on my home phone. I go thru all the same crap again with my credit card. It goes away again to verify again playing the music...it ends in 10 minutes and again no one comes to the phone. It's just silence. AGAIN, I hold for almost an hour before I hang up. Then..get this...I check my credit card...a $90 hold has been place (for those keeping up that's $45 twice). So, my card gets charged and no one ever comes to the line. A pretty lucrative scam. No wonder MTU doesn't sell their burners anymore. I have no idea what to do, now. But, I'm not happy I can tell you that. I sure do miss the days when people actually answered phones and cared about your problems and making you happy so you come back and continue to buy their products. Back then you could get your questioned answered in a 5 minute phone call and get on with the rest of your life. NOW...it takes months to get one question answered because no one will talk to you anymore and every thing is done by answering emails back and forth once a day or every couple of days. It's become ridiculous.

Lance

Last edited by Mustangt93; September 22nd, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangt93 View Post
Well, I gotta say. This is becomming a very disappointing experience. The MTU products are good when they run but if they ever go down I guess you're just kind of SOL which is where that leaves me right now. I received information stating that they could not honor fixing the drive after 30 days and I had to contact the manufacturer. So, they gave me the phone number and email address. Well, no one has answered my email address yet. So, I get on my cell phone earlier today and call the manufacturer....Liteon. Well, there is a long message about how you have to put credit card information in before you can even talk to a tech because once a tech answers they will charge you $1.40 a minute for the call. WHAT???!!! That's crazy. The burner is still under warranty. Or at least it should be. So, I go thru all the steps and put in my information like it says...even though I feel I shouldnt. Well, then it tells me that a $45 authorization will be put on the card. This is not a charge it says...this is just to verify that your card is good. So, I do all that. Then it tells me it will take a minute to verify my card and will return. Well, music plays for about 10 minutes and then ends...no one comes back...no instructions on what to do next..nothing. So, guess what? I hold on the phone for an hour and waste those minutes on my cell phone. I finally hang up when the line stays dead for an hour...I checked and it hadn't hung up..it was still showing the call was connected...just no one there. So, I come home and call them back on my home phone. I go thru all the same crap again with my credit card. It goes away again to verify again playing the music...it ends in 10 minutes and again no one comes to the phone. It's just silence. AGAIN, I hold for almost an hour before I hang up. Then..get this...I check my credit card...a $90 hold has been place (for those keeping up that's $45 twice). So, my card gets charged and no one ever comes to the line. A pretty lucrative scam. No wonder MTU doesn't sell their burners anymore. I have no idea what to do, now. But, I'm not happy I can tell you that. I sure do miss the days when people actually answered phones and cared about your problems and making you happy so you come back and continue to buy their products. Back then you could get your questioned answered in a 5 minute phone call and get on with the rest of your life. NOW...it takes months to get one question answered because no one will talk to you anymore and every thing is done by answering emails back and forth once a day or every couple of days. It's become ridiculous.

Lance
Lance I am sorry you are having such problems with this. I have been in the same boat before myself. Hopefully Liteon will get back to you about it soon.
Found that they have on-line chat for Lite-on US operations. You might try this tomorrow. They are open from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific time. here is the link to that.
http://us.liteonit.com/us/service-su...n-line-support
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM

Thanks. I will give that a try. Being that I've already been charged for two phone tech sessions that I never got. Thanks again!

Lance
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM

I can't help but wonder why we are so certain it was the fault of the burner.

Has the pc been checked to see if the circulating fan was blocked, or not working at all, thus causing excessive heat to cause the cd to melt down and ruin the burner, or the burner to get excessively hot? Not at all beyond the realm of possibility.

I had a fan go out, and because of the inherant noise the drives and burners make, you don't know it until it takes it's toll. Been there.

Not saying it wasn't the fault of the burner, but kinda hate to see MTU caught in the middle of something that may not have had anything to do with the product they marketed, and in which case there would be no warranty to argue over.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:53 AM

Well, it's an external burner. So, whatever happened was a direct result of the burner itself. It sits there all alone. In any event I don't intend to blame MTU for it. They only cover for the 30 days. That's their policy. I get that. Im just upset because I've having difficulty getting in touch with the manufacturer and credit cards are getting charged for services that I didn't get. That's my beef right now. I'm a pretty fair guy. Treat me right and I'll go to bat for you. But, I get just as frustrated when I'm getting the run around and people should own up to what's theirs. Again, I'm referring to the manufacturer. Not MTU. Although, it would be nice to be able to actually speak to someone to find out if MTU has had any problems with the manufacturer or something? They did quit selling the burner for some reason. Maybe there is a hx of this happening with the burners. It would just be nice to speak to someone and find out.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM

Gotcha

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Gotcha
George there was no need to report this thread. If you would have looked I have already been working on it and trying to help him and there is nothing Admin can do about this.

Mustang usually the reason MTU quits selling a particular drive is because they become unavailable, so they have to find another one that works with CDG. Their reason for the 30 day return limit is because that is what the manufacturers allow for MTU to be able to return the item to them. All of the manufacturers have this kind of return policy. So for the first 30 days you can deal with the seller and after that you must go to the manufacturer for warranty work.
As far as the $90 hold Lite-on has on your account, call your bank and dispute it. If they will let you then the hold will come off.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM

Dale, you misread what I sent. Y'all keep harping on the point that the manufacturer has to take care of this because of the warrranty.

I was merely pointing out to you that there is a history of cd's breaking up and if Liteon is aware of this, they may not consider it their responsibility, and you all could be setting up mustang 93 for a disappointment..

You're the one who chose to go public with this issue, not me. I was trying to quietly make you aware of the stance that Liteon could easily take, since there have been other cases where a cd has fragmented and took out the burner..

Last edited by George; September 23rd, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Dale, you misread what I sent. Y'all keep harping on the point that the manufacturer has to take care of this because of the warrranty.

I was merely pointing out to you that there is a history of cd's breaking up and if Liteon is aware of this, they may not consider it their responsibility, and you all could be setting up mustang 93 for a disappointment..

You're the one who chose to go public with this issue, not me. I was trying to quietly make you aware of the stance that Liteon could easily take, since there have been other cases where a cd has fragmented and took out the burner..
Yes Lite-on may take that stance but he won't know until he can contact them.
If this was the point you were making then all you had to do was tell him here and not just send the information to me.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM

For any others who might be interested, here's what I found and was referring to. Was news to me.

http://askbobrankin.com/exploding_cdroms.html