MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:13 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post

Gee Mark, you're right!

Jim
So for $4000 for 2 sticks & 2 subs plus the tone generator, then add another $2000 for the additional 4 subs, that runs $6000 just to get the sound he obviously wanted? Sorry, not worth it to me. I can get a killer sound that will fill a room without having to pierce everyones ears for half that.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
So for $4000 for 2 sticks & 2 subs plus the tone generator, then add another $2000 for the additional 4 subs, that runs $6000 just to get the sound he obviously wanted? Sorry, not worth it to me. I can get a killer sound that will fill a room without having to pierce everyones ears for half that.
But will it fit in a mini cooper and be manageable by your grandmother? I think this is more the point. When you get old, your priorities change.

25 years ago I had to use a 16 ft trailer to haul my band's PA gear around. Now, I wouldn't do that again for any amount of $$.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Bose l1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
But will it fit in a mini cooper and be manageable by your grandmother? I think this is more the point. When you get old, your priorities change.

25 years ago I had to use a 16 ft trailer to haul my band's PA gear around. Now, I wouldn't do that again for any amount of $$.
Mark, you got it right. But Lonmans urge to be correct by using incorrect figures is very misleading. L2 w/2 subs, w/tone engine= $3200.00. This gives all the thumpin' bass you need and volume with room to spare up to 1000 seat club to give you a killer sound. If you choose more bass, not necessary, it is $999 w/extra amp. Take Lonman's $6000 eatimate, cut it in half, you have the Bose L2 w/s subs and mixer and get that killer sound with the benefits that Mark stated. I don't know what he uses and it doesn't matter, but as i stated, i have mixer that cost more than his high end estimate, and an amp ($2000) that outweighs the entire Bose setup.
Bose is the real deal
muzicman
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
VIP

NO, the portability would be the benefit to the system, but the L1 system did not work for me - maybe I should've tried at least another sub, but I did not care for the sound over my current PA that I have in there now (what not supposed to have an opinion if it doesn't meet your likng?) . Again, I have not tried the model 2 & the figures I quoted (for an L1 system) are straight from musiciansfriend as far as cost (not incorrect) for a system equivalant to the one pictured above.
But even going through Bose, the price for a system equivalent to the one pictured above would run $7000 plus for the model 2.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; March 27th, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Bose L1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
NO, the portability would be the benefit to the system, but the L1 system did not work for me - maybe I should've tried at least another sub, but I did not care for the sound over my current PA that I have in there now. Again, I have not tried the L2 & the figures I quoted are straight from musiciansfriend as far as cost (not incorrect - again this was the only place I looked last night but the only one I found from where I normally shop that even sells them) for a system equivalant to the one pictured above.
My pricing was current from the Bose website, don't know how Musicians Friend could sell it for more than it cost from the factory with interest free financing. Only in America
Being from the old school of sound, i really hesitated on the Bose System. Was never satisfied with the L1 even with two subs. the L2 satisfied any and all doubts that was instilled in me from using only Pro Sound Systems capable of any venue, inside or outside.
If one is currently satisfied with his or her setup, likes the current sound, they would be foolish to spend even a $1000.00.
This just my opinion on what i currently use and what i have used my whole career in music.
muzicman
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
My pricing was current from the Bose website, don't know how Musicians Friend could sell it for more than it cost from the factory with interest free financing. Only in America
Being from the old school of sound, i really hesitated on the Bose System. Was never satisfied with the L1 even with two subs. the L2 satisfied any and all doubts that was instilled in me from using only Pro Sound Systems capable of any venue, inside or outside.
Don't know about the pricing, but you can go there (since we aren't really supposed to provide links) type Bose in the search. A system for 2 sticks & 2 subs with tone generator is one package, then 2 addition sub packages. Again these are the model one series.
Quote:
f one is currently satisfied with his or her setup, likes the current sound, they would be foolish to spend even a $1000.00.
This just my opinion on what i currently use and what i have used my whole career in music.
muzicman
Like I said I haven't tried nor even heard the model 2 series so maybe I should go re-evaluate.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
VIP

Quote:
Mark, you got it right. But Lonmans urge to be correct by using incorrect figures is very misleading. L2 w/2 subs, w/tone engine= $3200.00. This gives all the thumpin' bass you need and volume with room to spare up to 1000 seat club to give you a killer sound. If you choose more bass, not necessary, it is $999 w/extra amp. Take Lonman's $6000 eatimate, cut it in half, you have the Bose L2 w/s subs and mixer and get that killer sound with the benefits that Mark stated. I don't know what he uses and it doesn't matter, but as i stated, i have mixer that cost more than his high end estimate, and an amp ($2000) that outweighs the entire Bose setup.
Bose is the real deal
muzicman
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to cause such a stir! Just wanted to show what one guy uses for his set up! Lon is correct on his assessment of the total cost of this guys Bose components, and you are correct in your statement that you can get great sound without going to this extent! The consensus from Bose users, is that the Tone Match ( T1 ) effects / mixer has increased the capabilities of the Bose L1 Model I & II, and can be an add on to make the L1 Model I Classic (Older Unit, Which I use) to sound even better! I was only wishing to show the versatility of the system, and to some that have never tried the Bose PAS system, or for that matter, have never seen it, what it looks like! Everybody has to determine what their pocketbooks and their backs can withstand! Making an informed decision on this product is what this thread was about! Right?

I still love my Bose system, and can highly recommend it to everyone!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Bose L1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to cause such a stir! Just wanted to show what one guy uses for his set up! Lon is correct on his assessment of the total cost of this guys Bose components, and you are correct in your statement that you can get great sound without going to this extent! The consensus from Bose users, is that the Tone Match ( T1 ) effects / mixer has increased the capabilities of the Bose L1 Model I & II, and can be an add on to make the L1 Model I Classic (Older Unit, Which I use) to sound even better! I was only wishing to show the versatility of the system, and to some that have never tried the Bose PAS system, or for that matter, have never seen it, what it looks like! Everybody has to determine what their pocketbooks and their backs can withstand! Making an informed decision on this product is what this thread was about! Right?

I still love my Bose system, and can highly recommend it to everyone!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
No stir, no problem here. I simply wanted to get the facts as straight as i could to present the System as it really is and be fair about it to someone who asked for an opinion. Only by being informed correctly can we help others who wish to make a choice. Name me one other company that will let you use a complete system for 45 days and let you return it no questions asked. You imput was right on the money and i don't work for Bose.
muzicman
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM

In my off time, I ran across two acts using the L1/L2 type sytems. One was an outside acoustic act and the other was a girl singing to background tracks in a small club. I have to say I was quite impressed with what I heard. The acoustic act I saw using it outside had some feedback issues but this can be fixed with a 32 band EQ.

If I ever get to old to or tired of lifting my 2 Yamaha S115IV speakers on their stands, I will probobly get the L2 system with two bass bins.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Bose L1

Quote:
In my off time, I ran across two acts using the L1/L2 type sytems. One was an outside acoustic act and the other was a girl singing to background tracks in a small club. I have to say I was quite impressed with what I heard. The acoustic act I saw using it outside had some feedback issues but this can be fixed with a 32 band EQ.

If I ever get to old to or tired of lifting my 2 Yamaha S115IV speakers on their stands, I will probobly get the L2 system with two bass bins.

Jim
Jim, Once in a blue moon i'll have a feedback problem using high volume. YOu are correct about the eq. I have an adequate at best eq built into my computer's sound card that takes care of that. The tone engine has everything built in that is needed to fix it also, its just knowing how to use it. Most people who have an idea about sound will not have that problem. What i like best is the USB connection to carry the sound from the computer, no more 1/8-1/4 mini plugs to worry about. One ethernet cord to supply power to the tone engine and sound to the speaker system.
muzicman
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
What i like best is the USB connection to carry the sound from the computer, no more 1/8-1/4 mini plugs to worry about. One ethernet cord to supply power to the tone engine and sound to the speaker system.
muzicman
Pretty cool!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Harry if you aren't confused by now it is a miracle. To boil this all down, if you like the sound and have the money to spend on it go for it. It is your ear and wallet that has to make the ultimate decision. Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Bose

Thank y'all for all the good information ( and the laughs) really it's been very informative.
I havn't been a regular on here, but I believe I will be from now on, lots of good information here!
Thanks Again to everyone who replied.
Harry
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM
VIP

Quote:

Jim
Either their mic's were way to hot or they were poorly positioned because its very difficult to get fedback with these
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Harry,

These testers are getting bored because Hoster 4.08 is running without any new complaints to troubleshoot! Please consider what idle minds ( good ones at that -- in most cases! Ha!) must do to entertain themselves! LOL

I went over to the Bose forum and plucked out this photo!

This guy has an awesome setup for DJ'ing, and he didn't even have the T1 (mixer / effects) included yet!

This is a little overboard... but if you need pro sound bass, this would have the windows rattling a bit!

Even with the Classic L1 system, with 2 bass modules that I run presently, I can clean out the cobwebs from the rafters!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
At first glance it appears the lights are mounted to the L1 but with a closer look you see the tripods behind. So not all that impressive.

I know some folks have made brackets to attach to the back or top of the L1 for lighting. I saw one one time that someone created for hanging their guitar.

Last time I noticed, Bose's official position is that they don't recomend these, but they also mention that they have to say that for liability reasons.

These are on my list of things to make and use at some point but for right now I just use a couple of LCD par 35's sitting on the PS1 to illuminate the poles.
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:07 AM

Re: Bose L1 System

The question here was about using it for Karaoke so all the feedback about using it for bands or playing music is irrelevant correct?
Old March 19th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid View Post
Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ\\\\\\\'s using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
I have a set of L1 Compacts and they are awesome. I have used them in a room of 150 people and they worked fine. I love the fact that they have 180 degree projection.

I have had a lot of compliments on the sound.

As far as price, I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for! Bose knows sound!
Old March 20th, 2022, 05:42 PM

I’m looking in to the Bose L1 16 any thoughts on that I’m getting to old to lug around heavy equipment also need suggestions on wireless microphones which I have never used because I didn’t want my customers walking all over the place, you thoughts on that?
Old March 20th, 2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
I’m looking in to the Bose L1 16 any thoughts on that I’m getting to old to lug around heavy equipment also need suggestions on wireless microphones which I have never used because I didn’t want my customers walking all over the place, you thoughts on that?
For Karaoke, I use VocoPro UDH-Dual wireless microphones (~$159.00) (900MHz). Although I have had them dropped, I never had one broken. These do a fine job for the price.

For festivals (The MC, Dignitaries, etc.), I use Sennheiser XSW 1-835 Dual microphones (~$649.00) (548-572 MHz). They have a scan feature I like for making sure I have no interference.

For speakers I also have two QSC 8.2 (2,000 watt) (27 lbs. each) and two QSC CP8 (1.000 watt) (21 lbs. each) and two Bose S1-Pro speakers (~15 lbs. each). Awesome sound from them all!

I am 77 with a bad back. Weight means everything to me also!