MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM

140,000 songs????

I know this has been brought up before, but I just have to share this. The other night I went to a fellow KJ's show. He said he had over 140,000 plus songs on his computer with a Sax & Dotty program. He says he has so many songs, that his books only reflect a portion of his songs. Undoubtedly, there would HAVE to be " duplication ". And, how large would his hard drive have to be? I am dumbfounded by some of my fellow KJ's being more proud of the amount of songs than the quality of their show. No offense to anyone out there. It is getting harder and harder to buy discs to add to my collection as it is, without duplication. I have about 15,000 songs myself, with a 200 GB drive; plus my Winamp with 10, 000 DJ type songs. I have free space; but I don't see room for 140,000. Like someone had said previously, you can only play so many songs a night. It seems to me, that TOO large of a selection for your singers to choose from, can hamper you just a little. Perhaps this is more of an ego issue for my friend, than it is quality?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM

Just a footnote. Out of curiosity, after I wrote the previous post, I went to Musicbox Deluxe. They have 228,463 songs listed. Now with the duplication there, I can't see someone having 140,000 plus songs.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

I've seen in the past Midi discs with thousands of midi karaoke tracks and players with tens of thousands of midi songs on them (most are in an asian format) Add that plus all the w/ vocal and duplicates and it's possible.. but not probable. With Dup and vocal tracks i have around 40,000 tracks available, plus 18,000 regular songs. I never imported most of the dups and vocal tracks and don't count them when i add up my total # of songs.
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Here are some facts to go on...

Of the top 4 Producers we know in the USA, their "unique music" list is (may be a few hundred more that we are not aware of):

1. 6,000
2. 5,000
3. 3,600
4. 2,250

TOTAL: 16,850

So, if you take all the other producers in the USA... cumulative... it will probably total less than these 4; but let's say 16,850 again.

USA TOTAL: 33,700.

If you add in all the other songs around the world that are in CD+G format, I doubt (I don't know for sure) it would equal the top 4, so lets add another 16,000.

UNIQUE SONGS - WORLD TOTAL: 49,700

Now, the Producers claim double the number of MUSIC they really have... one WITH VOCALS, and one without; a 2:1 duplication. So, if you double this for w/ + w/o vocals:

INCLUDING VOCALS - WORLD TOTAL: 99,400

Hard drive space, based on our KMA format at 96Kb compression, an average song is 4.5MB. Thus, 140,000 x 4.5M = 630 GigaBytes.

If he has a 200GB drive, (200GB/4.5MB), then he has at most 44,444 KMA size files at 96Kb compression. NOTE: MP3 compression to get the same quality 96Kb WMA/KMA compression delivers would be 160Kb, which would average ~7MB per song including the .cdg file (28,571 on a 200GB or 35,000 on a 250GB HDD).

However, bootleg MP3G or ZIP files are low quality, so they would be around 4.75MB each. Thus, he has around 42,000 songs on a 200GB HDD, or 52,000 on a 250GB drive.

Given he "said" his song books didn't include all the songs he had, it seems he is covering up a gross exageration... over 90,000 he probably doesn't have.

One more point... 140,000 songs if purchased at the going rate of about $15 per 15 songs would be a $140,000 investment. Did he pay $140,000?

He probably bought a 250GB HDD with 35,000 songs plus a bootleg copy of S&D off eBay, so he doesn't have a single "disc" that he didn't "import". He's probably 100% illegal.

Why don't you report him to the local County Sherriff as using bootlegged songs and software?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM

140.000 songs

Hello All,
Just an afterthought on the question of the number of songs carried.
The Spanish speaking world seems to carry a substantial number.
I would have thought that in Asia there will be 1000's of discs in every language possible.
Knowing how they work in the Far East they are all probably illegal.
It would be far more beneficial to carry a much smaller number of songs as I contend even with admin's conservative estimate of 16,850 in the US, most KJ's would struggle to play 50 a night.
Assuming they never ever played the same songs that would take almost a year to play the lot.
I bet most Kj's could get away with a songlist of 200, without too many complaints from customers
It might be interesting to find out just how few you could get away with and still run a successful show
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
VIP

Does anyone save nightly rotation lists like I do? I started doing it just for statistical purposes. At year's end I will take a look at exactly how many different songs are sung. I play in three different venues, An older VFW crowd, a hip-hop bar, and a blues club, so I may hit the max on variety I imagine. I'm guessing it'll be around 500 to 800 actually different songs at the end of the year.If you have save nightly lists, let me(us) know what you've learned?
Thanx,
Bryant
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM

It's a law of averages. We all know that only so many songs can be sung in a night. And I run my show pretty fast getting as many singers up as possible. We know it's the " availabilty " factor. Do you have all the popular songs, the older songs? I establised my fbase foundation, and I add new songs to that. When people ask if I can get something, I search the net to see if it is available, and how much. Is it worth getting that song, and do I have the other songs on the discs already. When I used discs (pre-computer) I kept my rotation list, for myself, and to support any questions a bar owner/manager may have. It was good because I could see trends in business. One previous post said we could probably get by with 200 songs. yeah, we could; and some do. But, if you are serious and do several venues, parties, etc; you need to have a large selection. If you don't, the guy down the street does.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

140,000 songs

Hello
I was the guy who suggested 200 songs,
It was not meant to be a recommendation for running a show.
Just a comment about how few songs ever really get sung, and how WE ALL carry far too great a songlist, that is never warranted.
To be fair how many songs have we all got that have never been sung by anyone, 50% or higher?
We all know how quickly this month's specials, and even No.1's disappear into obscurity in next to no time, never to re-surface.
When I attend other KJ's venues I usually have 4 or 5 discs with me, maybe a 100 songs, because I don't like to sing the same old hackneyed ones, and I try to never sing anything that anyone else might sing, over 10 years I have heard about half a dozen songs sung, by others, which I had always considered to be my own little speciality.
Anyway if singers are so keen to sing songs you haven't got, they can always buy their own, they soon realise how expensive it is.
All meant to be lightheared, which I hope Karaoke is.
Garry
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry A. Leslie
Hello All,
...[snip]...
I would have thought that in Asia there will be 1000's of discs in every language possible.
Garry, Asians ONLY uses VCD and Satillite feed. We have sold extremely few of our CDG software products to Asians. They don't do ANY CDG songs that I am aware of.

South Americans primarily use VCDs.

Korea uses MIDI music, not CDG discs.

USA, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Austraila and some in Europe use CDG. So... I don't think I'm too far off my estimate. Thank you for the info on Spain. Portugal also uses CDG as we have a producer there.

The original thread here is about 140,000 songs by a USA KJ. I was trying to prove that it is highly unlikely that the "competitor" has as many songs as he claims.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
VIP

Nice words garry
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM

140.000 songs

Hello Admin,
I rest my case!!!
We all heard about Microsoft selling one copy of Windows to the Chinese government and how all China had it within weeks.
Probably why you've sold so little software in the Far East
Anyway as rong as they reave our ryrics arone, we are OK.
Garry
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM

I'm up to 9100 without repeats and I'm told quite often that I have a much larger song list than most of the local KJs in the area. Far as people singing a percentage of my songlist I would estimate at around 20% of it gets used. I do however get a lot of compliments for my older songs when doing clubs such as Moose, VFW, Eagles and American Legion Posts. This I'm proud of, and will continue to carry my oldies. Last Saturday I got a request for Leavin' On A Jet Plane, by Peter, Paul & Mary and Have You Ever Seen The Rain, by CCR. I had both, they just couldn't find them in the late evening condition.