MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Interesting Perspective

All:

I am an entreprenuer who has started a couple of businesses in the past. I hit a local bar with karoake every Thursday and am considering starting this business. So I know just enough about business and Karaoke to make me dangerous

After reading a number of messages in a number of forums and threads I have had a number of insights.

---------------
1> Every KJ I have seen, failed to meet expectations in one area: throughput. Performers can never sing enough. I realize that you hate standing behind a table all night but when it takes a couple of minutes between songs, we notice. This was why I looked into this business.... I figured I could do it faster. And faster means happier customers and happier customers mean happier bars.

2> Don't drink. A boss at your full time job won't let you drink while you work, why would you do it for your own business? Time spent at the bar is time wasted.

3> Run your equipment. I have seen KJ's in the past who have regulars switch off manning the equipment.

4>You are not the entertainment. KJ's are there to keep things moving. Singing throughout the night is not why you are there. Performers want to be the center of attention, don't take that away from them

5> Don't skimp on songs. I try to do at least one new song a week and a bigger book may take longer to get thru but sooner or later I will find what I want. For what it costs in paper and ink, print up new songbooks every couple of months. I hate having to look in a bunch of places for a song. Is it under artist name? Song Title? New Country hits March? New Country Hits April? geez..

6> Earn your money. When the owner sees you doing any of the above he wonders why he brought you in. Make sure he/she sees you working hard for your money.

7> Remember that every night someone is in the audience checking out your business. You start getting sloppy and you are begging someone like me to compete. I may not stay in the business but any competition brings prices down and dilutes the market.

8> I know you have been doing this for years and you know everything there is to know about the business but when someone offers up a suggestion, actually consider it. Even better write it down and look at it the next day. Even though you know all there is to know about Karaoke, we are your customers and trying to accomodate them might be wise.

--------------------

Just a couple of insights from years of Karaoke'ing. In case he is reading this, the current KJ I see all the time is probably the best locally and most of the above does NOT apply to him