MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > KPro Studio and KHPro Software - Create your Own Karaoke Songs > KPro Studio and KHPro Help

KPro Studio and KHPro Help Post KPro Studio and KHPro questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM

storing text to music speed

Is there a way to lock the word text speed to match the music so you do not have to do it everytime
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I have no clue what you are asking. I did move it from "MTU Experiences" to "KHP4.X Help" Forum where it appears to belong.

Please write more details about your question.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM

They may be talking about being able to do songs one section at a time instead of the whole song in one pass. Or maybe being able to do the chorus once and then copy and paste to the next chorus.

One helpful hint is to have a master template file. Just make sure you rename the file when you import lyrics and music. That way all the songs come the same without having to set up all the lyrics sizes, intro screen, etc. everytime you do a song.

When working with KHPro you have to do the whole song in one pass. Sometimes this is a bummer because you get to the end and make mistakes you have to redo the whole thing. What I have started to do is to listen to the music all the way through with the lyrics printed in front of me and practice the song once before I do it. That way I know if I've goofed on any of the lyrics and am doubly sure of the timing. It may take me an extra 5 minutes per song to start with, but it's better than having to do the song 4 times. I can now do a song, start to finish, if I have the lyrics, in about 10 to 15 minutes. Some longer, some shorter. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. The more you do it the better you become.

Jim
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM

One pass only?-Don't think so

Admittedly, I haven't done it this way, but I think that the most recent versions of KHPRO allow for re-doing sections of the song without having to do the whole thing again.

The reason that I haven't done it this way is that trying to get a perfect "sync" is helpful to me in learning the song. (Plus, I admit, it takes more sophistication in understanding the instructions) But it certainly would come in handy, not only in doing a song originally, but if the underlying music file could be manipulated (adding more rests, etc,) then only the manipulated sections would need to be redone. Hmm... I might actually try and master this aspect.
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahern
Admittedly, I haven't done it this way, but I think that the most recent versions of KHPRO allow for re-doing sections of the song without having to do the whole thing again.
NO, that may be in the future

Once you have swept the entire song, you can go back through it and make adjustments to the sync in the adjust lyrics screen, but not sweep or re-sweep a portion of a song. If you stop at any point in the sweep process, you must start over.

And yes, the more proficient you get at it, doing it in one or two passes is commonplace....I know. You must be quite familiar with the timing between instrumentation and lyrics, just as does a Karaoke singer.

It even helps to sing along as you do it, tapping the spacebar to your own voice reinforces the timing you see on the screen, and becomes second nature. You simply tap as you sing.

Jimbo is right on regarding a master template, and he is also correct concerning a 10-5 minute start to finish on most songs working in KHP.

George.

Last edited by George; August 18th, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Hey ya'll,
When trying to compose in KHP a song that you don't sing or even know, it's kinda hard to get timing so here's what I have done to help with this.

Extract wav of cdg from CD
Extract wav of original artist singing
Use a wav editing program to stretch or shrink length of song to be exactly the same on both. I use SoundForge. (this must be done from the begining of sound to end beat, not the end of fade) I add the same amount of silence to beginning and same amount of time from end beat to end of wav.
Song also should be same amount of measures front to end. If not that can be modifoed also with some creativity.

Then load edited original artist wav to sync lyrics. Now you have a vocal to follow. When done replace wav with cdg extracted wav and eveything will be at least close. You can then make minor adjustments as needed.

It works.

I really don't have a problem with songs I know. After creating a few and getting the hang of it, it really only takes one or two takes to complete.

Wally
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I hear what you're saying Wally. I do the same thing with MIDI's. Using Edirol Sound Canvass, one can remove or change instruments, add echo, reverb and enhance the tracks so they sound great, then convert to .WAV....

I create two files, one with and one without a lead instrument, save both to .WAV.

Using Goldwave audio editing program, I usually copy a section out of the full instrument file and put it into the same spot in Karaoke file to create instrumental breaks.

I then import the full instrument file into KHP, sweep to the music, and then replace the .WAV with the removed instrument to create a Karaoke file....easy as pie even on songs one has never heard before, as you well know..

George

Last edited by George; August 18th, 2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Smile

COOL!!! ISN'T IT. I LOVE IT.

Someday I might advance to the level you are at. But with a little creativity and these wonderful tools one can do a lot.

Wally
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I hope the originator of this thread takes heart from the posts and sees there are some great days ahead.

George
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Just learning

George Quote:

Once you have swept the entire song, you can go back through it and make adjustments to the sync in the adjust lyrics screen.

I'm not sure how this is different from what I said.

Jahern Quote:

KHPRO allow(s) for re-doing sections of the song without having to do the whole thing again.

Last edited by jahern; August 19th, 2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: context grammar adjustment, title
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I see what you're saying Jahern. I think what we were reading and what you were meaning were two different things. We were reading re-tapping the lyrics in spots where you were saying to use the adjust tool instead.

But still, if I make more than one or two mistakes it's easier for me to just redo the song. I think a lot of us just get comfortable doing it the way we like to do it. I can adjust individual words or words, but haven't done that in quite a while because I make sure I know the song before I try to graphic it. I quess when you record the songs yourself you pretty much know the song by heart and could do it in your sleep.

I can see how George and Wally do it. I do lay down a lead vocal track though.

Jim
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahern
George Quote:

Once you have swept the entire song, you can go back through it and make adjustments to the sync in the adjust lyrics screen.

I'm not sure how this is different from what I said.

Jahern Quote:

KHPRO allow(s) for re-doing sections of the song without having to do the whole thing again.
Frankly Jahern in the broad sense, there really isn't any difference.

I did however take your "re-doing" to imply re-sweeping, which we know can't be done.

Take care,

George