MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Basic Computer Audio Question

I have been using an external interface {soundcard} some call it. Going from my usb port, to the interface, then RCA/1/4" audio cables to my stereo channel on my mixer. Works great!

I went and purchased still another new mixer {sigh}. I purchased a little Allen & Heath Zen fx12. Would it be better to try and go from my usb port, dirct to the usb in on my A&H zen mixer usb port, instead of using the interface to stereo channel? worried about latacey and so on. How many of you hook up direct to your mixer's usb port?
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Basic Computer Audio Question

I moved this to the Singers and Hosts Wisdom forum as this is not a question about Hoster itself.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
I have been using an external interface {soundcard} some call it. Going from my usb port, to the interface, then RCA/1/4" audio cables to my stereo channel on my mixer. Works great!

I went and purchased still another new mixer {sigh}. I purchased a little Allen & Heath Zen fx12. Would it be better to try and go from my usb port, dirct to the usb in on my A&H zen mixer usb port, instead of using the interface to stereo channel? worried about latacey and so on. How many of you hook up direct to your mixer's usb port?
i have a Mackie profx8 and i got my mini laptop hooked -up to the usb of my board and i don't have any problems with it, except the volume, it's too loud, , i have the main fader just a quarter up and it's really loud,and also by doing this you can elliminate plugging a cable from your headphone to your board. i used to used an ext. soundcard ( soundblaster extigy ) when i got my first laptop ( inspiron 1000 ) and i had so much problem with it...but anyway plugging your laptop to the usb of the board works better than using an ext. soundcard.(in my opinion)...i don't have any knowledge about A&H board, and i heard they're really a good board..

Last edited by billyo; December 29th, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i don't have any problems with it, except the volume, it's too loud, , i have the main fader just a quarter up and it's really loud,and also by doing this you can elliminate plugging a cable from your headphone to your board. ..
billyo, I have never used a usb mixer configuration myself so may be talking a load of rubbish here but can't you turn the volume down from your computers output ?

Do they work of the digital sound output as apposed to the analog if coming from the audio jack ?
If so you should be able to adjust the computer sound cards digital volume from the control panel/sound settings out so lowering the signal that way.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:16 PM

i could do it that way, but I dont wanna have to go through all that just to turn the volume down, its easier just to turn the faders down/up, but anyway thanks for the suggestion.
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM

Right now i'm using an "Edirol" interface coming from my usb on the computer, then like i said to the stereo channel on my mixer, and it sounds just fantastic. So i take it from the responses that everyone uses an interface...ok...just was thinking it'd be easier then messing with an external sound card. The usb direct interface on the board is suppose to be great, and i thought i'd might just as well use it...but....ok thanks guys

Sorry dale for posting in the wrong place.Thanks for the redirect.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:58 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post

To answer your question, "Yes"., as the usb board is actually the ext. sound card. Plug right into it directly. However, I have noticed that these usb sound connections are really over-sensitive to outside interferences and experience sound drop-outs at random times; then i have to turn off then on the mixer again. can't really explain why, but it has happenned with two or three different computers, too.

Billy-O, have you noticed anything like this at all?

I use the profx8 too.

Old December 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Hummmm...Thank you bryant.i sure don't like the drop out thing going on. I have a big Peavey 24FX mixer in my home studio, and it actually has two usb interface. I've never tried to run karaoke from my laptop through it. But for recording to my studio computer into cakewalk, PG's band-in-a-box, cubase5 or any add on's like lexicon reverbs, or compression, virtual instruments, it works great no drop outs. A few days ago i wrote a great honky tonk version of "Auld Lang Syne" with Virtual Instruments software, then tapped it out in KHpro and made a karaoke CDG. It has an old fashioned piano in it, fiddle, steel guitar, drums, bass, and banjo. All done with band in a box, and virtual instrument software, except for pedalsteel guitar, and lead guitar which i played. It took a couple hours or so. I find it enjoying, and to see a finish CDG that no one else in the world has, is the best part. I think the folks will like the version alot better then the standard one.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
To answer your question, "Yes"., as the usb board is actually the ext. sound card. Plug right into it directly. However, I have noticed that these usb sound connections are really over-sensitive to outside interferences and experience sound drop-outs at random times; then i have to turn off then on the mixer again. can't really explain why, but it has happenned with two or three different computers, too.

Billy-O, have you noticed anything like this at all?

I use the profx8 too.
I don't have any audio drop outs, in any of my laptops, have you tried going into your audio setting and changing it to usb ....