MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Music Maestro copying into hoster a problem?

Tell me if anyone has had problems getting Music Maestro copied into computer or storage device for Hoster.
Also, after 7800 songs storage device or computer is running slower to record to computer or storage device.
I have been hosting and setting up large DJ shows for 13 yrs., but finally putting the hoster to use. Know many issues with karaoke, and been told I am very good at what I do! Just have to get ideas on the conversion.

Last edited by Dean-Anthony; March 18th, 2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: No problem with hoster, just question if there is a remedy.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-Anthony View Post
Tell me if anyone has had problems getting Music Maestro copied into computer or storage device for Hoster.
Also, after 7800 songs storage device or computer is running slower to record to computer or storage device.
I have been hosting and setting up large DJ shows for 13 yrs., but finally putting the hoster to use. Know many issues with karaoke, and been told I am very good at what I do! Just have to get ideas on the conversion.
Have not heard of any problems with Music Maestro, except that they used cheaper CDs. If these are used then it may be that Hoster is having to work harder to decode them which would make it slow down.
Where are you storing all the imported files? If on your C: drive then you may be filling it up which gives the operating system less room to work with, which will slow your computer down too.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Frequent Member

Well over 30,000 songs.
never had a problem with MM disc.
drive may be full, and sometimes rebooting will get you back to speed.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM

This brings a question to mind. What WOULD be a safe limit of "space used" on your hard drive for music; before you went with an external drive to hold all the music?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Frequent Member

I would want at least 15gig
have you tried defraging your drive. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
All windows Updates
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedmison View Post
This brings a question to mind. What WOULD be a safe limit of "space used" on your hard drive for music; before you went with an external drive to hold all the music?

Thanks,

Kelly
The standard Microsoft answer is to leave a minimum of 25% of the drive free for operating space. I normally try to keep that a conservative 50%. The best way to set up for laptops especially would be to use an external drive to store your data (song files) on and leave the internal for programs and operating system. For desktops I use a second internal drive that has nothing song files.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I have never had an issue with MM. Also, my computer for work has three HD's, on 80 gig for OS & Programs, 1- 250 Gig for Karaoke and 1- 500 gig for DJ Music
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedmison View Post

Thanks,

Kelly
I have an Insperon by Dell and they told me that the cooling technique for this lap top is when Ram is hot is shares with memory to cool and return to Ram. Meaning you want at least 10 gig free space for this.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have an Insperon by Dell and they told me that the cooling technique for this lap top is when Ram is hot is shares with memory to cool and return to Ram. Meaning you want at least 10 gig free space for this.
Then that would explain your slow-down. On your hard drive there is a file with allocated space called a system pagefile. When you change windows or screens this is where the data is stored to be able to do that. What Dell is doing is using part of this space to substitute for your RAM (memory) when it is getting too hot. Access to RAM is much faster than accessing the hard drive, so when your data has been shoved off to the hard drive, your system slows down waiting for the information.

There is a way to help keep the RAM cooler. There are third party base platforms (goes under laptop) that have additional cooling fans which should help some.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Slowdown on copying to storage unit

So what you are saying is that because I use the storage unit for all my songs and copy all my songs in the storage unit, it is running slow waiting on storage unit information.
If I had a large enough hard drive on my computer (more that 90 gig), I would be able to copy faster.
When storage unit (500gig) was new, this did the copying very fast!
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Talking Copying to storage is slow process

After last night, I have recieved my code to add hoster to my new computer (Vista) which I still use the storage unit, but by now know to keep the Hoster in the computer. Then sync'd in the database with storage unit, and was finding all songs I have copied so far into the hoster.
So When I have time, I will start recording my Music Maestro and other discs, hopefully to find all is running great. Whitefox Entertainment
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So what you are saying is that because I use the storage unit for all my songs and copy all my songs in the storage unit, it is running slow waiting on storage unit information.
If I had a large enough hard drive on my computer (more that 90 gig), I would be able to copy faster.
When storage unit (500gig) was new, this did the copying very fast!
No that isn't what I am saying. I am saying that it slows down when the memory (RAM) gets hot (as Dell said) it shifts what normally would be in memory to a temporary location on your C: drive (internal). The computer can read data from the RAM 10 times faster than it can from a hard drive. That is the reason for the slowdown. A larger C: drive would not help. More memory might help, but I think the cooling fans would help more.

This has nothing to do with the external drive/storage unit. Not that it wouldn't hurt to defragment that storage unit sometime soon. That would speed up retrieval of song information when you play them.
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM

Unhappy Slow down

ok that is new infor on the defrag of storage, and I will try the base fan for laptop. Do you have one of the base fans for laptop yourself?
Thanks Dean
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ok that is new infor on the defrag of storage, and I will try the base fan for laptop. Do you have one of the base fans for laptop yourself?
Thanks Dean
I don't use a laptop...don't trust them. I build my own systems because I can then get exactly what I want including extra, quiet fans.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
I don't use a laptop...don't trust them. I build my own systems because I can then get exactly what I want including extra, quiet fans.
Same here! Plus desktops are much more upgradeable.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Frequent Member

Same here To.
HP D530 sff and compaq EVO 510 sff small and very upgradeable.
I have Laptops For Backup i carry to shows, JUST IN CASE
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
All windows Updates
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Dean
Dean,
Check out the Vantec LPC-305. I think this one could helpful, isn't expensive, has a variable fan control (help with noise) and is AC powered where a lot of them are USB powered which sucks up battery.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Fan not a problem any longer

Just received a new lap for the show, has Vista, which takes a little while to get used to at first. Now that I am on third week, I am realizing Vista is better than XP for the video and the sound quality.
I love laptops, and now that I defraged the system and checked a little further keeping up with the database and songbase, all is working much better. Watch me on helloworld doing the newest of karaoke live on the internet and soon TV.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM
VIP

I have not had a problem with Music Maestro and find their sound tracks to be pretty good. I think for awhile there was an issue importing the last track but I believe that has been fixed. I thinks Music Maestro had more Elvis Presley tracks than anyone. By the way, I have heard that Music Maestro is no longer in business. Has anyone else heard this?
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
VIP

MM has been out of business for a little over a year or so. They were allegedly producing tracks without obtaining the proper licensing. Not a big loss to me, I found many of their tracks to be very midi sounding. Some songs were done quite well I do admit to SOME of their country discs were ok & anything that sounded like it was midi on the radio was done ok, otherwise..... .

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB