MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Unhappy Problem reading MP3 zip files

This may be a problem with my computer Compaq w/Up to date XP, but I'd thought I try here and see if anyone had any ideas about this problem.

I have problems reading MP3 zip files. This was not the case with 4.004 but I believe that it started with 4.005. I don't use the software regularly so I just discovered this over the holiday. When trying to read the folder with the tracks, I get the all files having errors balloon and none brought into MS. I thought it may be related to Max compression but a test showed that this was not the case. The zip files are on an external drive.

Any ideas or something to look for?

Thanks!

Robert
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Experiencing similar problems and I have vista.
cheers
Rihari
NZ
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:32 PM

Similar but different

I notice that the folder takes a long time to load the files and some of the files don't get loaded. I have XP. Just noticed it today 12/31/07
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihari1 View Post
Experiencing similar problems and I have vista.
cheers
Rihari
NZ
I notice if the files are unzipped there is no problem. Doesn't matter the location of the files either.

Robert
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM

One more thing...

4.005 was an update to 4.001 if that makes any difference..

Robert
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:34 AM

Thank you yes that does work but still looking to solve this issue
Rihari1
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM

WMA-zips same problem

I songverted a bunch of wma-zip files. When I tried to use them in Microstudio I had the same slow loading problem and the same files were not read (an error file was created with these files names.) As mp3zip files these files were played just fine by another program. As mp3zip files these files were not loaded by Microstudio

Last edited by jahern; January 1st, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM

Just tried toimport 8 zipped files every thing is fine umtil you hit the import button, the box to say that it is importing does not appear, the status box then shows ERROR for all files no problem with room on the ext drive any quick fix ideas?

Cheers
Rihari1
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM

I have 2 open Tickets with Tech support on the same problem.
So far no reply.

I installed 4.005 on my desktop and laptop. XP and XP media.
I importing 12 zipped mp3-g folders. Each folder has 15 files. They were backed up from my original cd-g. The next day I continued to burn them back to disks only to find out they would not process and I was getting errors on every zipped file.

I went to my laptop to finish and I had the same problem!.
It did work when I installed the program. I tried other files and from other locations and had the same problem.

I tried other demo programs and have no problem with the files.
If I manually unzip the files the programs works but it is very time consuming.

The only thing that changed on Both my PC's was windows automatic updates. I saw a commnet posted that a Windows update in Vista caused a problem. I Can't see how both my pc would have the same problem.

Looking for help
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Unhappy RE:Problem reading MP3 zip files

I, too have a ticket in on this. I originally upgraded from 4.001 to 4.005 and aksed if it was ok to downgrade. I got a reply that it was OK. I have not yet had an opportunity to do so. I'll post the results once I do so.

Patiently awaiting a fix on this!

Robert
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I have just tested this with 16 .zip files and it worked fine on my Microstudio 4.005.

Can you guys please email me some of these .zip files that you are having problems with? I need these sent to support at mtu.com.

Once I get these files I will test them again and hopefully beable to recreate the problem.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM

I Attached an jpg of error code that I get if I try to import zip files in "Write Disk"
I imported over 100 files into the song list before the problem started.
Tried my friends files last nite for a test. They won't import to the song list. got 15 errors out of 15.

I don't understand how this can happen on my pc and then my laptop at the same time using a different source of files. works in Roxbox and Vdj

Did yu do the latest windows upgrade? Thats the only thing that changed on my end.
Al
kb2ur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microstudio error.jpg (57.5 KB, 9 views)
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM

I logged into my pCs as a new user profile.
The program worked fine on laptop and Pc.

Question now is why did my Pc and laptop stop working under my User Profile at the same time. My laptop was not even in use.

I cleared out all except NTUSER.dat file in my documents and settings profile.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM

RE: Problem reading MP3 zip files

Is there something in the registry that keeps track of the song list? Perhaps something has become corrupt and needs to be reset. I was loading over a hundred songs and experienced a crash and afterwards, I had trouble reading the zip files. I can read some directories with songs and not others.

Doesn't seems to be anything in common that I can find. I imported new songs as .bin and they were read correctly. When I used Mp3+g Tools to change the .bin to zip, the software could no longer read them. Is it Mp3+g toolz?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ur View Post
I logged into my pCs as a new user profile.
The program worked fine on laptop and Pc.

Question now is why did my Pc and laptop stop working under my User Profile at the same time. My laptop was not even in use.

I cleared out all except NTUSER.dat file in my documents and settings profile.

The answer is sometimes user profiles get corrupt and cease to function correctly. I used to work for the Air Force on a very large network of computers and have seen this many times and even experienced it on my work computer once. About the only thing you can do is create a new user and copy all your favorites and documents over to the new profile.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppurcel View Post
Is there something in the registry that keeps track of the song list? Perhaps something has become corrupt and needs to be reset. I was loading over a hundred songs and experienced a crash and afterwards, I had trouble reading the zip files. I can read some directories with songs and not others.
The only thing that keeps track of the files for Microstudio are two files created in the folder by Microstudio. One keeps a list of the Karaoke files in the folder and the other keeps track of Audio files. To rebuild these you use the Refresh button in Microstudio.

Quote:
Doesn't seems to be anything in common that I can find. I imported new songs as .bin and they were read correctly. When I used Mp3+g Tools to change the .bin to zip, the software could no longer read them. Is it Mp3+g toolz?
Not sure why the MP3+G Toolz conversion didn't work, but I know that those done with Songverter do work with no problems. Songverter also converts to many other formats as well.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:44 AM
VIP

Quote:

I use to use mp3toolz as well, it IS that program. I think there are different versions of the "zip" format that have something to do with it. I now use songverter exclusively, and even, once in a great while, you may find a file or two that needs to be unzipped with mp3toolz and then rezipped by songverter.

I have other "DJ" programs that will not use mp3toolz' zipped files, but will take them rezipped by Songverter.
In fact one of the DJ Programs I use has Songverter listed in their "sticky's" as their only work-around for zipped karaoke files.

Old February 18th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Administrator

ANSWER #1: ZIP is NOT a controlled format. It is public domain. Thus, there is no "Standards" on it. MP3G Toolz has done their own thing, Tricerasoft also, and use something called "MAX" compression. Most programs, Win Media Player included, can't play these files.

One of the features we programmed into MTU's Songerverter is to AUTOMATICALLY change a ZIP with MAX compression to a ZIP with Standard compression. After that processing, most .zip files will work.

ANSWER #2: The Unzip code we use in Microstudio 4 is one of the best available. However, the version release we built into 4.005 was still very intolerant of ANY FORM of errors in the ZIP HEADER. Thus, when you unzipped, you removed the zip header, and any error(s). The fact the songs played when unzipped tells me the zip had errors.

In Microstudio 4.006, soon to release, we are building with the latest version of the Unzip code. We have tested it with ZIP files with errors, and it is much more tolerant. We think a lot of the problem ZIP files will now work in Microstudio 4.006.

WARNING!
You folks have no idea how bad ZIP files can be. Many of you download ZIP files over the Internet. You have no clue what they contain, or what program was used to ZIP them. They could include Viruses, Trojan Horses, Keystroke Loggers, and any manner of malware zipped within them and your identity could be compromised with a single ZIP file.

We have built into Microstudio and Hoster, somewhere around 15 error traps in our ZIP processor to detect and correct common errors found in ZIP files from customers who send them to us. ZIP files are a true pain in the rear!

I just wanted you all to realize how complex it is to "play" and process ZIP files. Anything... anything else is superior to ZIPs. PERIOD!
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I agree with your WARNING on zip files.
I am just puzzled how the function stopped working on 2 seperate pc's of mine.

If I change user accounts on both pc's the program works fine. hopefully the new upgrade will corect this problem. If not, I will have to live with changing to another user account.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ur View Post
I agree with your WARNING on zip files.
I am just puzzled how the function stopped working on 2 seperate pc's of mine.

If I change user accounts on both pc's the program works fine. hopefully the new upgrade will corect this problem. If not, I will have to live with changing to another user account.
If changing to another user account works then there is something corrupted in the original account and not Microstudio. I have on several occasions (my own computer as well) had to create a new user's account for our users (contract work for the military) because their account became corrupted and certain programs would not work. Windows is not perfect and neither are the hard drives.