MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How many song books to you bring to a show?
Four or less 16 17.78%
Five 6 6.67%
Six 12 13.33%
Seven 5 5.56%
Eight 11 12.22%
Nine 4 4.44%
Ten or more 36 40.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
usually bring in 10 books 5 titles 5 artist, only have 7 left my last private party ( saturday ) someone walked away took my 3 books with 'em..
I think there's a poll for lost books, too. Join the club.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM

Smile how many books?

here in london, uk , we only take 4 artists books out. because most people think it is funny to take them home with them. why???????

shame they dont know that i have a supply indoors, and if they are seen, taking the books and get caught, hehe the books get back in one piece if you know what i mean

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Wink

It Usually depends on the size of the place and number of people that will be where you're playing, I bring nine most of the time, My books are listed by title in front and by artist in the back.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM

I carry eight books. Artist in the first half and titles in the second half. I will also carry eight to ten update books in small ring binders.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Exclamation None Notta El Blanko.

With the help of another KJ Host, and very proffessional I might add, helped me to load all 50,000 songs on to 2 portable WiFi laptop systems that I have been using for the last year. singers find it very user friendly and then they just send the request to me using WiFi that also helps me to keep a better rotation and the information is transformed to the TV screens and lets the singers know ahead of time when it is there turn. Displays approx. 7 singers ahead of current singer. At the end of the evening just close up the laptops, works great.
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM

I take two artist two title. they are expensive. People are not respectful of them. Most of them by the first hour are too drunk, stupid or both to figure out how to use them anyway
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired2up View Post
With the help of another KJ Host, and very proffessional I might add, helped me to load all 50,000 songs on to 2 portable WiFi laptop systems that I have been using for the last year. singers find it very user friendly and then they just send the request to me using WiFi that also helps me to keep a better rotation and the information is transformed to the TV screens and lets the singers know ahead of time when it is there turn. Displays approx. 7 singers ahead of current singer. At the end of the evening just close up the laptops, works great.
How do you have this set up? Do you use one laptop to run your show and one for the singers to make requets?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Talking

I take 8 artist and 8 by song title... My pay in Kansas is around $ 140-$175 for my reg. Friday night (depending on crowd).. my song list is 13,500 aprox. with about 3,000 duplicates... Just got on this site today and THINK I'M IN LOVE..... MOE
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Unhappy

3000 duplicates????

holy cow

alec
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec.c View Post
3000 duplicates????

holy cow

alec
Yup, we had calculated some time ago that on the average those that keep their duplicates run between 20 and 30 % total dup's.

Old February 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Yup, we had calculated some time ago that on the average those that keep their duplicates run between 20 and 30 % total dup's.
I'd have to look again, but I believe my overall count is around 14k, with around 11k non dup'd.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:04 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
I'd have to look again, but I believe my overall count is around 14k, with around 11k non dup'd.
That's about right 3 divide by 11 = .27 or 27%.

Or if you do it the other way, 3 divided by 14 = .214 or 21.4 %.

Either way it's between 20 and 30 percent dups for those who keep em, on the average.

I keep mine, but only in the master print book, as I call it, the audience book has only one of each song.

But it's cool because I get complimented on the difference between my shows and those that have 5 of each song scattered around all their pages and it's too hard to find. After that first comment , I decided to print ONLY one per song, and the compliments are still coming my way.

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
That's about right 3 divide by 11 = .27 or 27%.

Or if you do it the other way, 3 divided by 14 = .214 or 21.4 %.

Either way it's between 20 and 30 percent dups for those who keep em, on the average.

I keep mine, but only in the master print book, as I call it, the audience book has only one of each song.

But it's cool because I get complimented on the difference between my shows and those that have 5 of each song scattered around all their pages and it's too hard to find. After that first comment , I decided to print ONLY one per song, and the compliments are still coming my way.
Especially if there isn't any kind of denotation as far as manufacturer, then what's the point in listing several different versions. I've seen books like this as well that had a custom numbering system, it was like a crap shoot!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Especially if there isn't any kind of denotation as far as manufacturer, then what's the point in listing several different versions. I've seen books like this as well that had a custom numbering system, it was like a crap shoot!
Yeah, I see. Once in a while someone asks me if I have another version; then I check, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The ones that are very specific about their version are regulars that I know quite well and know which one to put up for them (usually).

Old March 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM

Just redone my books last week and now am putting out 5 title and 5 artist.

I have culled my books down, still carrying 14,000+ songs on the hard drive but with the smaller books 5400 listed. I am getting them to sing more and look less. Kinda nice having 31 double sided pages in one and 35 in the other. Went from 2.5 inch binders to 1 inch. One show in a larger bar, I have ten combo artist title books I pass out on busy nights and most often no more than 7. But I average 21 singers per rotation there with the bar having maybe 100 customers. Still singin and having fun.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM

8 both artist and title but with a twist, I set up my songbook in Word and then deleted all duplicate listings making the books about 90 pages lighter and cheaper. I just have the singers give me song titles then pick the best version I know or singers choice.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitd9922 View Post
8 both artist and title but with a twist, I set up my songbook in Word and then deleted all duplicate listings making the books about 90 pages lighter and cheaper. I just have the singers give me song titles then pick the best version I know or singers choice.
That's pretty much exactly what I do. My thinking, based on the poll results, is that most people carrying 10 or more books to a show have half their books in title and half by artists. I prefer not to go over 1-1/2" binders, but I will need 7 font down from 8 font on the next reprint in order to keep that 1-1/2".

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I keep carrying my 4" binder humoungous books even though they have a bunch of dupes and are a pain in the neck.

Reason? People decide on how good you are largely by how you look.

If I have 55,00 songs in a shiny huge binder.... people will say I have the biggest coolest list in town and will consider me a better operator than the guy who carried a 40% smaller book but with the same amount of songs.

I also carry twice the sound in that I need. I bring in big double 15 and horn cabinets sitting on 18 subwoofers.... half the time I don't even hook the subs up but people are always talking about the incredible bass

When i was a touring musician, if i went to a club with no new songs from last time I played, I bought a new outfit and they thought I had a new show. Same principal.

I ain't right, but it is what it is.
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi-Polar Bear View Post
I keep carrying my 4" binder humoungous books even though they have a bunch of dupes and are a pain in the neck.

Reason? People decide on how good you are largely by how you look.
I disagree with this. People will judge how good you are by 'how good you are'. I have literally seen very successful shows that purposely run no more than 1000 songs - carefully picked by the history reports of their software programs (praying Hoster adds this to theirs) so they can see what is popular & what is not. This particular show is packed every karaoke night & the book is literally 1" thick. The host is very attentive to the sound & can keep the crowd entertained. Now is this the norm, probably not. Would I attempt to cut my 11K book down to 1000, most likely not. But the size of a book has nothing to do with how good you are.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Most of the time I carry around 5. I prefer bright colors for them that way they are easier to find. Most of the time the clients are careless about the way they use and treat your catalogs and believe me, they are expensive to mantain and prepare. In this case less is more and since Hoster allows you to search if a client ask you about a specific song. I think that 5 songbooks will work for most of us.
Closed Thread