MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM

Blank Media

I would like to know which brand of blank cd's everyone is having the best results using with Microstudio? I personally have tried them all, including the media that mtu suggest and sells. I don't notice any, or little difference in any of the different brands. I am not having any media problems. I was just wondering. I generally purchase whats on sale. I am currently using Philips blank CD's, $5.49 for 50 of them. They work as good as my Maxell, and Verbatim. I think media preparation is the key. Whats everyone using? George
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

George, Music quality discs is the ones I use, because they have more permanency. The data versions have been known to fade out (if that is the right term) after time. I have had good luck with Maxell and Sony.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
George, Music quality discs is the ones I use, because they have more permanency. The data versions have been known to fade out (if that is the right term) after time. I have had good luck with Maxell and Sony.

i have been using Maxell for a while now, (music cd ).which is kinda hard to come by, i have tried verbatim ( colored disc ) and i found out that when i used a black ( blank disc ) to burn ( copy ) a cdg and tried to re-import it my cd/dvd drive took a while to read the disc, and sometimes it wont even read it..
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM

"music quality discs" ???
Dale are you refering to the "Music" or sometimes called "Audio" discs? Put out by memorex, maxell, sony and others?
Dale, i have used these "type" of discs for 15 years. I am not sure if you are aware what these discs actually are. The term "music quality" kinda threw me off. The word "music" on these discs does not refer to their quality, rather it refers to their format, or intended use.

Years ago, Philips created the home cd recorder. These were units that looked like a dual drawer cd player except they could record cd's from cassettes, cd's, and other audio sources. These machines were produced by philips, later, JVC, Sony, Harmon Kardon and a couple of other companies. Of course to make yet another buck off the consumer, they made their own disc format to work with just these machines. Much like the companies did for DVD. The home recorder "music" or sometimes also called "audio" disc will work also on a computer, but not the other way around.

I never found these disc superior to the "data" computer discs we all use today. These "Music" or "Audio" format disc are rather expensive if memory serves me right. I am surprised these things are still available. The "music" or "audio" home recorders aren't around much anymore.

I still have one, and have owned several throughout the years, although i seldom use it anymore. Glad to hear they are working out so well for you. I think i still have a stack of these somewhere around my studio, i will dig them out, and give them a try. Thanks for this information. George

Here are a photo of my old Philips recorder, and my Harmon Kardon recorder.

Last edited by Musicman51; July 2nd, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

The way I understand it from what I have found is that the Data grade disc (plain) do not have as good of a coating on them and will fail within 4 -5 years (I have had this happen too) where the "Music" discs are more permanent with a thicker coating that does not breakdown as quickly.
Anyway I used the Memorex, Maxell, and Sony all without any problems. But then my KMA files are my back and not on discs. I used to make copies to use in shows before we went with Hoster, but do not bother now since my originals stay pristine.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

i have a TDK dual tray 4x digital audio cd recorder DA-3826 i bought about 6 yrs. ago and i used this for recording, and it's true this recorder wont work on data cd, it had to be a music cd...and i also used to used this playing cdg's a while back , i had to plugged in a cdg decoder in order for it to read cdg's
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM

You are so right billyo. You came out of the TDK "Digital" output, into a "Decoder", most likely a VocoPro i bet. Whenever i still use discs, and there are times i have to. I have an old Denon CD player with a digital output that i run to a decoder. Only problem is i can't use my video or dvd karaoke disc. Whenever i do yard parties, pool parties, we have a cruise boat here that rents out for wedding receptions etc. I always use discs. Maybe i better keep one of my old CD recorders.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
You are so right billyo. You came out of the TDK "Digital" output, into a "Decoder", most likely a VocoPro i bet. Whenever i still use discs, and there are times i have to. I have an old Denon CD player with a digital output that i run to a decoder. Only problem is i can't use my video or dvd karaoke disc. Whenever i do yard parties, pool parties, we have a cruise boat here that rents out for wedding receptions etc. I always use discs. Maybe i better keep one of my old CD recorders.
yup it was a vocopro, i since sold the decoder when i stared using hoster, i kept my tdk though ..i bought my 3 yr. old daughter a portable a dvd player, and that's what i use to play her own dvd/vcd karaoke ( Barney songs )
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM

CD Recorders and Media

I use Tao Yuden silver inkjet printable, water resistant and print with a Epson Stylus RX595 Printer. The media is a little expensive, but doesn't create problems like not playing in some players. This Epson Printer does a great job as a printer, scanner and CD printer, and, is not expensive, very easy to use. I like Epson because the ink is very inexpensive when compared with any other.
I feel that if one is going to use media, use what creates the least problems.
Muzicman144
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I use Tao Yuden silver inkjet printable, water resistant and print with a Epson Stylus RX595 Printer. The media is a little expensive, but doesn't create problems like not playing in some players. This Epson Printer does a great job as a printer, scanner and CD printer, and, is not expensive, very easy to use. I like Epson because the ink is very inexpensive when compared with any other.
I feel that if one is going to use media, use what creates the least problems.
Muzicman144
i have 2 of those ( epson ) it didnt last that long, i got it from cdrom2togo..the adapter to print a cd keeps sliding to the left, and it the printed cd is so smudged up...
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM

CD Recorders and Media

i have 2 of those ( epson ) it didnt last that long, i got it from cdrom2togo..the adapter to print a cd keeps sliding to the left, and it the printed cd is so smudged up

Don't know which printer you are using. My Epson cannot slide left or right as it is in a grooved slot with no play left or right. Have never had a smudged cd to date. It is as professional as i have seen anywhere. I even checked mine again (Epson Stylus Photo 595) just to see if there was any play or loose fit anywhere, and could find none. After two years, approximately 300 CD labels printed, I am completely satisfied with it, and would purchase another. Sorry you are having trouble. Why did you end up with two?
muzicman144
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
i have 2 of those ( epson ) it didnt last that long, i got it from cdrom2togo..the adapter to print a cd keeps sliding to the left, and it the printed cd is so smudged up

Don't know which printer you are using. My Epson cannot slide left or right as it is in a grooved slot with no play left or right. Have never had a smudged cd to date. It is as professional as i have seen anywhere. I even checked mine again (Epson Stylus Photo 595) just to see if there was any play or loose fit anywhere, and could find none. After two years, approximately 300 CD labels printed, I am completely satisfied with it, and would purchase another. Sorry you are having trouble. Why did you end up with two?
muzicman144

well the first one i kinda messed around with the outline so when i print a disc the center hole is not where it supposed to be, and i tried to call cdrom2go for support and i didnt get any, so i ended up buying another one which i thought was better, it worked for about a year and them the adapter started sliding to the left, and i had to kinda help guiding it so it wont slide to the left, i just kinda got tired of it, so i stored it in the garage collecting dust..and also since i started using my laptops to do shows, i dont need to print those cd's anymore...i just copy ( my music ) in an ext. hhd..
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

I've been using an Epson R300 for years now, Cd tray fits in a slot so cannot slide left or right centers the disk dead accurate, prints perfect. I use HP- CD-R White faced printable disk, the printable surface goes right up to the hub so you get maximum printable surface, never had a problem with them.

Roy
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM

CD-Recorders and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I've been using an Epson R300 for years now, Cd tray fits in a slot so cannot slide left or right centers the disk dead accurate, prints perfect. I use HP- CD-R White faced printable disk, the printable surface goes right up to the hub so you get maximum printable surface, never had a problem with them.

Roy
Roy, thanks for the Epson response. I prefer the silver, hub printable media, as i feel it makes a more professional looking label. We use these to send out promo packages to venues on the east coast of the USA.
Like your Epson, the R595 cannot slip as it is in a groove. Best part of the Epson printers is the price of ink, but they produce quality printing for all uses.
muzicman144