MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 17th, 2003, 09:53 PM

Writing problem!

Help needed. I have a Plextor Writer (52-24-52). Operating Windows 98 second edition. Have 256 Ram and 20 Gig hardrive. Direct X 8 installed.

My problem is I have the odd graphic drop out or black dot on screen. I'm writing from my hardrive. Have used Karaoke Pro to create a disc. I have tried to write at all different speeds using different types of quality silver media. I've followed all the rules!

I notice that when I ask for for 1x writing and 1x record or in fact any speed (auto or otherwise) using the MTU driver my CD is finished in less than 10 minutes (even though it says it should be longer ). It makes no difference as to what speed I ask for - I just get the same speed that the program decides to give me!

I have a virus free computer, lots of disc space and followed everything in the manual. In fact I could recite the manual without looking at it! My hard drive is dust free and the discs I am using are cleaner than clean. I'm working in hospital conditions!

Can anyone think what it could be? It's got to be something really silly because other people write eating their lunch off their discs and the recording is fine!
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Question

Kerrie,

First you should upgrade you DirectX, providing your graphics card support it, to the latest version which is 9.0b, from the Microsoft Website

Then, why would you want to read and write at 1x when you have a very good Plextor (52-24-52) which is capable to write a whole “very high quality” CDG in less than 6 minutes?

However, if you insist, where is how you can choose your speed?

1. Open MicroStudio
2. Click on Drives
3. Choose Speed Selection
4. For Writing Drive uncheck the box if selected.
5. Choose your desired writing speed (1x?)
6. Click Ok

Try it now. It’ll write at 1x and it’ll also take a very long time.
Now rewrite the same disk at 52x and check the quality on both. You probably couldn’t tell the difference.

Now, isn’t better to write at the higher speed?

Enjoy.

Jon
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:53 PM

Writing problem

Hi Jon,
Thank you for your reply but it is the writing speed I'm having problems with. I would write at low or fast speed if the disc would be O.K. The problem is (at any speed) is the break up of the odd graphic on screen. Maybe a little white dot or maybe a black dot and sometimes a missed highlight. It's only a handful of times throughout the disc. It doesn't matter what speed I write at because Micro Studio decides to write it fast anyway. If I choose 1 speed - it writes in under 6 minutes. If I choose 52 speed - it writes in under 6 minutes. I am trying to produce a CDG without errors. Any suggestions? I have upgraded to Direct X9 as per your suggestion. Regards, Kerrie :-)

PS. I'm wondering why Micro Studio will not allow me to write at 1 speed. I just want to try a disc at this speed to see if it is any different?
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:09 AM

I got curious and tried to burn at 1X and could not. I began to suspect that it was not Microstudio's fault, but the burner might be incapable of writing at that speed, so I went to Plextor's site , and asked them.

With my Plexwriter 48/24/48A as the subject, here's the question I asked, making no reference to cdg or any other format.

"Can you tell me if the above Plexwriter will burn at 1X ?"

Here's the answer I got.

"No, it won’t. Quality at such a slow speed would be terrible! Fast recorders are optimized to burn at faster speeds.

Plextor America Support Team - Jack"

George
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:09 AM

One learn something new every day. Thanks George.

Jon
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Graphic break Up & Dots! Help?

That's good to know because now I know it's not the writing speed that is causing the problem. I get a brillient copy except for a few graphic break-up and sometimes white dots or red dots (my lyric sweep is red). So now I don't know what is wrong?

I've got the right Direct X and my computer meets all specs. I have no problem with Karaoke Pro - I just can't complete a CDG in Micro Studio.

My computer tells me I should update my ASPI layer on start up but I have the correct one. It's says I have WNASPI 32dll Version 1 installed and this version may result in unpredicable behaviours. Could this be the problem? Could the old one be lurking in the background?

Does Zone Alarm effect Micro Studio or any other program that might be on my computer?

What causes break up of computer graphics on screen and little dots. Why doesn't it copy like the songs which show in Karaoke Pro as perfect?

HELP! HELP! HELP!
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:03 PM

What brand of media are you using ? What you describe is characteristic of media related problems. The media MTU markets is the best available for cdg. Then I go a step further and clean each disc before burning, and never have glitches.

George
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:25 PM

CD Media

Hi,
I'm using silver CD media as reccomended. Have also tried Gold discs and top brand names like Kodak (even the most expensive on the shelf but to no avail). The discs look clean when I put them in the player but I'll try cleaning them and see if that helps. I work in hospital like conditions (everything is really clean). The discs copy really well except for a couple of spots (dots) and the odd graphic dropout so I know that I'm nearly there!

What media discs do you use?

I'll try cleaning one and burn a copy now and see what happens. Thanks for your help - really appreciate it.
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:15 PM

Kerrie,

I use the media marketed by MTU. It's the best around, and even has an extra coating for a more scratch resistant surface. You can read the specs here.

http://www.mtu.com/basics/cd-media.htm

Take care,

George
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:50 PM

Sorted! Writing Problems

Thanks for that! I have just tried 10 different discs and found one that does it perfect. I think I was looking for a problem with my computer that I didn't have! It was the media as you suggested.
There obviously is a difference with the media you use. I found the Sony CD-R (sony optical - ultimate recording performance) and writing at 48 speed as suggested on the disc did it for me!
I expect though as by reading the forum that so many people have different burners and make up of computers that it's an individual thing. I think MTU should just get everyone to buy their computers, software and media discs and the forum would be a lot smaller! Ohh! Well! I take my hat off to those guys because it must be a nightmare for them. One thing though their products are awesome if you just work through things. I reckon most of their problems are us - customers with little knowledge!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. Kerrie :-)
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:59 PM

You're welcome...enjoy

Thanks for the feedback.

George