MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 22nd, 2002, 05:50 AM

Unhappy Installation problem

I am/was a user of Microstudio 2303 but have now
updated from W 98 to W 2000. In this process I have installed several programs and drivers and my PC seems to work fine now with HP burner programs, games with active X 8.1 e.t.c. I could not get the 2303 to work so I baught the 2315 upgrade.

I have nowdownloaded Microstudio 2315. When trying to install, the install shield starts but after some seconds ian error message shows: "1608: Unable to create install driver instance"

I downloaded once more but with the same result.

Please advise how to proceed!

Best Regards - Lars Mila
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:57 AM

Could be a driver problem. Try going to the support post this forum regarding ASPI drivers and how to install them. Follow the instructions in sequence. Hope this corrects the problem.

take care,

George
Old November 22nd, 2002, 02:19 PM

ERRDOC: Runtime Error -1608
Document ID: Q107052
This article applies to the following:
Product(s): InstallShield Developer 7.x
Last Revised On: 10/07/2002
Symptoms
When an InstallShield Developer setup is launched, the following error occurs:
"Error -1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause

Little information is known at this time about the specific cause of this initialization error since it rarely occurs and is typically encountered on an intermittent or machine-specific basis. Some known causes for this error are as follows:

Windows 98 machines do not have Microsoft DCOM98 installed properly

DCOM permissions are not set to an adequate level

The InstallScript engine was not installed properly

The operating system has become corrupted

Other applications or utilities are running in the background and causing a conflict

Insufficient privileges in Windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution

The following options have been known to resolve this error message in the majority of cases:

Reinstall the InstallScript engine by running the "msicu.exe" file located in the following location:http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q238413 This file will try to cleanup all any problems with the Windows Installer.

Reset the DCOM permissions by following the steps below:

Launch the utility DCOMConfig by typing "dcomcnfg" in the Windows Run dialog.

Select the Default Security tab.

Click the Edit Default button in the Default Access Permissions section.

Make sure you choose Allow Access permissions.

Click OK in the utility, and re-run the InstallShield Developer setup.

Empty all temporary folders. The specific temporary folders for a machine can be determined by accessing the DOS prompt and typing "set". Note the values listed for "TEMP" and "TMP", and delete all files in those locations.

Make sure no other applications, including utilities such as virus scanners, are running in the background. Close all running applications and utilities, and launch the InstallShield Developer setup again.

If this occurs on a Windows 98 machine, install Microsoft DCOM98 from the link below, and re-run the InstallShield Developer setup:
http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/download.asp

Make sure you have full administrative rights for that particular system.

Reinstall the Operating System, as this behavior has been known to occur when an environment has been corrupted.
Old November 25th, 2002, 04:04 AM

Thanks george and Bryan for your quick replies. I am still in need for help.

Regarding the tip from George:

I downloaded the file. When running it the install shield wissard seems to work fine an I get the choice to modify, repair or remove.

When chosing modify, it seems to work but no questions for e-mail or passwords. No improvement on 2315 installation.

When chosing repair the wissard starts but stops when the ASPI Drivers.msi can't be found in a specific directory. The directory does not exist and the file is not to be found abnywhwere else as it seems. No questions for e-mail or password.

Regarding the advices from Bryan:

The msicu.exe seems to be for W-98. There is a file msicuu.exe for W-2000 but only for msi.dll version 1.x. In my 2000 version (before and now after all awailable updates at W-update) I have version 2.0 of the msi.dll. So (seemingly) no effect of this trials.

I did then put every access permissions to "all".

Temp and TMP files: How to get a Dos promth in W-2000? I did run the disc cleanup program to delete the TEMP and TMP files. OK?

Virus scanner closed and as I can see nothing else running in the background.

No improvements so far so I reinstalled W-2000 and updated it with every update W-update suggested.

Still no improvement.

As a try, I installed 2103 and updated it to 2303. The istall shield wissard seemed to work and the program seems to be installed and it starts but do not find the CD write or read drives. (As I have understood, 2303 is noit meant to run under W-2000?)

(I have some problem to run a game program. Suddenly it starts to dump physical memory to disc. Maybe I need more memory to this program now with W-2000)

I continue now to try to find out if there are more updates to do from HP/Compaq to get my machine in better shape, but with exeption from the game program, the PC seems to work fine with other applications ass MS Office, Pinnacle video editing software e.t.c.

I have W-2000 proffessional, Compac Descpro 500 EP (500 MHz), 128MB, HP CD Writer plus 8200 (has worked fine with 2103 and 2303).

Thanks in advance for further advices how to install 2315 and get it running.

Best regards - Lars
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:02 AM

ASPI: 4.71.2 is installed. The ASPI chk says everything works.

Is this OK?
Old November 25th, 2002, 09:36 AM

Lars,
When you say that you re-installed Windows 2000, did you do a format and wipe the drive clean or did you just reinstall over top of what was there? If you didn't format the drive, it will make no difference for the installshield to work or not.

The other reason that the ASPI drivers aren't installing is that you must be connected to the internet for the install to work. Please try that and then see what happens. Also I would be curious to see if they will also install, as they are using the same installshield as Microstudio 2.315.
Old November 25th, 2002, 02:28 PM

Hi again.

The reinstallation was just a re-run of the W-2000 installation and not a total wipeout of C.. This second time I chosed to change the file system from FAT 32 to the recomendation from the W-2000 program (don't hav it in front of me).

When running the aspidrivers16.exe I am (and was also before)on internet and the behaviour is like described before with the installation wissard shield who seems to work and gives the alternatives to modify, repair or remove. No question for e-mail or serial number. The modify seems to work, the repair don't find the directory as described. (My feeling is that nothing really is done in the modify process but it's just a guess.)

The wissard seems (optically - the "proceed" bar (sorry, not my native language)) to halt in the position where it says it is "configuring windows installer" about 2 cm from the left but goes then directly over to the next phase "preparing to install".

When trying to install Microstudio 2315, this position in the "configuring windows installer" is where it gives back the 1608 error.

(Regarding the (I beleive separate) game problem I beleive it can be a simple need of more memory. Despite specifications, W-2000 can need more for this same application than in W-98 I am told.)

Hope this gives some more to work from.

Best regards - Lars Mila
Old November 25th, 2002, 03:17 PM

Lars,
This means that the ASPI drivers did corrctly install the first time. If it shows you the Modify, Repair or Remove buttons. The only one that does anything is the Remove, it will remove and then allow you to reinstall it. The others don't do anything.

Have you downloaded all the updates to Windows 2000 from the start menu? If not then please try that, by clicking the Start Menu, Windows Update. Then make sure to download all the service packs at least. The lastest one is SP 3.

Then let me know what happens or if this has been done.
Old November 26th, 2002, 03:22 AM

Hi Bryan!

Yes, I have already done all the awailable W-2000 updates in Windows update. SP 3 was one of them. I went there again this morning and now one (new I suppose) was suggested. It was an Internet Information Service Roll-up Package - Q327696 (an updating of IIS 5.0 valid for SP 2).

I updated and checked once more after updates but no more W-2000 update was suggested. Then I restarted my PC.

The installation of MS 2315 behaves as before.

Regarding ASPI:

When running the Adaptec aspichk.exe it gives this information:

Component Version
ASPI32 SYS 4.71.2
WOWPOST.EXE 4.6(1021)
WINASPI.DLL 4.6(1021)
WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

"ASPI is properly installed and fully operational"

Does this confirm Your latest information about my Aspidrivers16 installation?

Looking forward for the sun to rise over the horizon in North Carolina and get your feedback and new advices later.

Regards - Lars
Old November 26th, 2002, 04:54 PM

Lars,
No this is the Adaptec version of the ASPI drivers. Some how my post in the Tech support forums about the latest ASPI drivers have been overwritten. Please download the file located at: http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/showthr...p?threadid=493

Once you download this file, try to run the installation, which uses the same Installshield as Microstudio 2.315 to see if it will work.

If not then your only option is to reformat the computer and start from scratch loading Windows 2000.

Let me know what happens.
Old November 27th, 2002, 02:49 AM

OK.

I did follow the link and downloaded aspidrivers16.exe again. Now when trying to run it it stops during "Configuring Windows Installer" and gives the errror "1628 Failed to complete installation" (The error for the 2315 installation was 1608).

I will now extend memory, change graphic card (want to do it anyway), maybe try to install an older adaptec driver version or remove the adaptec ASPI drivers and then once more try to run aspidrivers16.exe.

When this does not work I will bite the bullet and re-format as you say.

Regards - Lars
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM

Hi again!

After re-formating and new installayion af W-2000 the installation af 2315 went well. I have just tested to play CDG's and it works fine.

When reading the manual, I see no instructions to do any modifications in config.sys or to disable screensaver e.t.c. as it was in 2103 and 2303.

Does it mean I don't have to do something else?

Thank's for the help

/Lars
Old November 29th, 2002, 06:18 PM

Lars,
This was only needed to be done under Windows ME or 98se. So you should be fine now.