MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:56 PM

Karaoke Singers-imitators Vs Innovators

Haven't seen much discussion regarding a phenomenon that seems dominant on the Karaoke scene; that being the intense desire a great number of singers appear to have to clone themselves in someone elses style. Obviously the basic lure that attracts all us singers to Karaoke is the ability to sing to a well arranged piece of music as conveniently as can be done with Karaoke.

Also obvious is the fact that the singer is locked in to the musical arrangment.Considering this restriction, I find it extremely challanging to take a song by Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline and yes even Blondie and put my own stamp on it. Yes, Patsy Cline or Blondie. Where is it written that a male cannot do a great job with Crazy, or Heart Of Glass? Most of Patsy Clines material was originally done by male country singers. Her arrangements are smoooother.

I am passionate about singing as are most of the members of a private Karaoke club I belong to. None of them try to ***** any of the original artist, but have a blast fitting themselves and their individual interpretations into a song.

The greatest compliment a listener could pay me would be to say
"Gee, George, although you sounded great on"Can't Help Falling In Love", and your timing, breath control, and overall presentation was good, but not even close to Elvis." I'd be very pleased.

Like to hear what you guys and gals in the trenches think in this area, and what you've observed regarding audience reaction to the two different approaches. Audience reaction might be biased though if they are comprised mainly with those who don't appreciate creative originality.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; June 1st, 2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Frequent Member

I guess I'm what is known as an imitator as I have had people come up to me after every song I sing and have them tell me that I sounded like the original artist. But I like to change up every now and then and do a song a female normally does. I've done totally eclipse of the heart, Stranded, Alone. But then again I also do Journey, Foreigner, Boston, Kansas and other Male HIgh vocal range artists so I guess I have the voice to pull off ceratin Female songs. I've even done Hero by Mariah Carey in it's original key.
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

As you know I am a dedicated karaoke patron and I see everything from the really talented to the merely enthusiastic. I try to enjoy them all, and those I don't would never know that I don't. I feel there is nothing wrong in imitating a style for those who do not have the confidence to try out one for themselves. As it happens I do not imitate, but that is not out of any snobishness on my part. I simply do not have the talent to imitate. I have, however, been known to copy phrasing when I feel that it is just right. And not just of the professional whose song I am singing. If a fellow patron sings a song I like, and I admire that person's phrasing over my own I am not ashamed to admit that I have incorporated that in my own future rendition of that song. I call it honing my performance. I know that karaoke is an amateur setting, but I enjoy my own performance so much more if I feel I have not fallen below the standard of my professional days. Indeed, if the truth were told, I probably sing better today than I ever did when I was being paid for it. Less pressure, I suppose, and I sing what I like and not what the members want - not always the same thing.

Back to your poser "imitation v innovation" I think there is ample room for both.

Best wishes
Old May 8th, 2002, 11:04 AM

Well Lauraine, we all know the old cliche, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!"

I try with each song to mark it with my own individual style, but if I copy the phasing, or the style of another artist, it's only because I surprise myself, that I am able to do it, period! I sometimes say, "Gee, I sound like the Bee Gees on Words..." So, I just follow the way Robin, Maurice and Barry did it. I do the same thing with "She's Not There," by the Zombies, but I guess it about ends there. Colin Blunstone I'm not! Or was that Blundstone? Now, when I do Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up," I sometimes "WISH" I sounded as good as him on that song, but that one is purely me and my style. In the end, it all sounds pretty good anyway. (Pat on the back...)

So, I guess if I can add something to the song from the original artist, I do and I will, but usually it comes out sounding like MusicBear. For whatever that is worth!

BTW, good to see a post from you Laurain, I've been away from this board for a bit, but glad to be back!

MusicBear
MusicBear's International Web Site!
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:07 PM

Thank you Ray. You're so very kind. I assure you the feeling is mutual, and I am positive that I am not the only one who's missed you.

Best wishes
Old June 5th, 2002, 04:10 PM

Innovation keeps 'em coming back

I for one, like hearing a song that is done "correctly", but am more impressed when someone puts a spin on it. If you have repeat customers, especially, then a weekly show can become mundane, and repetitious.

When I get a singer or singers that put their own twist on some song, then not only does it pique MY interest, but those others who are "used to" the "regulars".

Keep those originals coming.. that's what keeps it alive! Keep it fun people!

Scoob
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:08 PM

Room for variety

A good imitation is a wonderful thing to behold and I am always impressed by those who do it well. I enjoy doing so myself and if I sound reasonably like Dean Martin, Elvis or Tiny Tim, I get a kick out of it. But when I do insane versions of songs, try some opera, foreign songs (hard to get - and had to add the lyrics), or just go completely over the top, people always make a special effort to tell me that they want to see more.

I believe that people want to see a good mix or something unexpected. I still get comments from people about the night three of us in a row sang "It looks Like I'll Never Fall In Love Again" or the time almost everybody got on stage with me to sing "Woo-Woo" while I sang "Sympathy For The Devil".

The point is, in my opinion, to have fun.

Last edited by aloysius; May 31st, 2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:56 AM

Oh yes, I do so agree.

Recently the Inspiration Fairy paid me a visit and I created a paraody which I have called The Squanderer. Guess what tune I used!! I awoke one morning with it virtually complete in my head and within half an hour the lyrics were ready to CDG. I performed the song that night and I am pleased to say it was very well received. Since then I have created other parodies; I've done one on Are You Lonesome Tonight?, done one called The Fed-Up Dentist Song to the tune of Feelings, and my latest one called Ghost Guiders in the Rye. I hope you do not think me immodest but they really are quite good, I have even registered my copyright.

I do so enjoy others' performances, especially original ones, and I say to anyone who wishes to try originality, go ahead, you never know what you can achieve if you don't try.

best wishes
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:00 AM

KPro should be even better for parodies. Interesting possibilities in the graphics for those venues that display the lyrics to the audience. I did a couple in KHPro and have several file folders of parody and medley projects. Too bad we can't see each other's performances.
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:53 AM

We may not be able to witness each other's performance but there is no reason why we can't send each other a recorded version to enjoy. I know I have only four parodies (and three original lyrics to existing Spanish songs I found) and it sounds like you have a lot more than that, but I am willing to let you listen to mine and I am interested in hearing yours. Up to you, if you're game. Send a private message on this if you want to, as this forum is not really the place for private chit-chat. Same goes for anyone else who wants to hear what I've done or is willing to let me hear what they have done.

best wishes
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM

Be careful good friends. You would be using copywritten music to "file swap" would you not?

Since you have your own original lyrics (as I also have), would suggest you simply email the lyrics to each other and advise what tune to use.

George
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:27 PM

A twist on the perspective

I often sing my songs in at least the style of the genre if not the style of the artist. Sometimes, however, I know that I can only pull the song off credibly if I radically change something. I developed a sort of "Screaming Lunatic" style when I decided to do "Livin' La Vida Loca" I got several good comments from people who appreciated the different style.

Imagine my dissapointment when a Karaoke host would prep the audience with "We couldn't get Ricky Martin here tonight so Joe will stand in for him"

I wasn't there imitating Ricky Martin and I resented the implication. Sometimes, like doing a Marc Anthony Salsa song, I have to change the key to the extreme, 3 to 4 half-steps. I hate when the host talks about stepping in for Marc Anthony. It is not going to sound at all similar.

But the host has his or her needs and I have mine.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:29 PM

Thanks, George, for the reminder, it never hurts. However, Iwas not tinking of exchanging CDGs but vocal renditions. However I will bear your warning in mind.

Thanks again

best wishes
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:45 PM
Frequent Member

Re: A twist on the perspective

Quote:
Originally posted by jahern
I often sing my songs in at least the style of the genre if not the style of the artist. Sometimes, however, I know that I can only pull the song off credibly if I radically change something. I developed a sort of "Screaming Lunatic" style when I decided to do "Livin' La Vida Loca" I got several good comments from people who appreciated the different style.

Imagine my dissapointment when a Karaoke host would prep the audience with "We couldn't get Ricky Martin here tonight so Joe will stand in for him"

I wasn't there imitating Ricky Martin and I resented the implication. Sometimes, like doing a Marc Anthony Salsa song, I have to change the key to the extreme, 3 to 4 half-steps. I hate when the host talks about stepping in for Marc Anthony. It is not going to sound at all similar.

But the host has his or her needs and I have mine.
As a host I never anounce the singer as immitating a singer but doing their own version of the song. that way the entire crowd does get surprised if the singer actually sounds like that artist. But I have been introduced as Garth Brooks or Steve Perry before.
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:54 PM

Lauraine,

I don't think there's any distinction between the two where the U.S. copywrite laws are concerned. Mainly interested in keeping the watchdogs from perceiving MTU's site as a source for file swapping. We would all lose something great if their doors were padlocked.

Take care,

George
Old June 1st, 2003, 10:06 PM

Talking Imitating vs Innovating

This is a great thread!
I love to sing, but I try to change the phrasing and in some cases a bit of the melody.. whatever suits me at the time. If it sounds good to me I am happy

I have recorde a few songs and some are fairly good. Others I will have to revisit. One of the things I enjoy the best is to record the melody and then record another track with harmony or a symple chorus. Sometimes I get lucky and it actually sounds good.

I have a good friend that does Louis Armstrong to a level that now when I hear Loui I think of my friend! However he has more talent that I do (no to mention the raspy voice). Regardless, we both enjoy the singing and that is what counts!

Happy singing!

BANDL
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:25 PM

*****?

I am one of those people who are told they sound like someone, but my original intent was not to do that, but it was to sing the song the way it was when I came to like it. I see many different types of singers at karaoke shows and although some of them try my patience on a night where there is an especially long rotation, I keep telling myself that that is what karaoke is about, letting everyone do their thing musically. Some are singers, some are entertainers, some are both, some are neither. As often as I go to karaoke, it would probably get boring for me if we all approached this the same way.
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Hello all.
Like to add to the debate going on about imitators and own voice.
Don't you think that the arrangements, which are often as near identical to the original, tend to draw the less experienced singers into an ambush.
Remember some singers don't have any originallity of their own and only know the song from when it was popular by the original singer.
I,m also quite amazed by the number of singers who only really know the chorus and flounder about with the rest of the song. The worst are the ones who think they know a song but who can't even read the words, when they get lost
I like, George, often sing female songs, for the sheer unexpected results you get by not being able to be drawn into being a sound alike
Anyway being English its sometimes hard to make a bluegrass number in the style of an American county singer, so you just do it in you own voice
Over here we have a number of organist accompanists and I sing a lot of jazz and big band numbers with them, so I hope my phrasing carries over into the karaoke field.
As a host I never, ever, refer to anyone getting up as singing in the style of or someone they're not, or ever refer to the quality of their singing althought I have been referred to as Ricky Martin's granddad. Shows my age.
Incidentally, try taking along discs when singing at someone else's karaoke where they won't either know the song or the original singer, that always throws them.
I.ve been reading the various discussions for over two years now
they usually vey informative and I've certainly learn a lot I didn't know before
Keep up the good work
Garry