MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

How can I separately edit audio & video data?

I'd like to be able to separately copy the audio file and the video data file of an existing CDG, then edit either file and recombine them. ( I have both Microstudio and Hoster, but don't see a way to do this. )

Reason:
I occasionaly come accross Karaoke disks that have an error in the text or omit an audio component from the song that I'd like to add. In the most extreme case, I might want to add my own harmony track to a song that is created as a duet. Then I could sing a duet with myself.

Issue 1:
It's easy to get an audio-only file from a CDG disk. It seems that if I had it in a WAV+G format, Mircostudio could read the pair of files and save them as a BIN file. I have several options for editing audio files, but, I don't see how convert a BIN file from a CDG into a WAV+G file set.

Am I missing something?

Issue 2:
I have found a few software applications that generate the words for a CDG file, but only in a very limited manner. Typically, the words are provided by a text file and the timing is all done mannually, by a process that is very tedious and error prone. It is very difficult to avoid timing issues that cause problems on some players. Apparently, this is because the underlying instructions that are generated are created in an inefficient manner. Another limitation of with these programs is that they allow ( at most ) 2 image files and then only at the start or end of the song. I understand that modern CDG disks rarely, if ever, use graphic images anymore, but the old DK Karaoke disks do it, so it must be possible.

What I'd like, is to edit the text file that already exists. That way, I only have to correct an offending word or two and possibly make some minor timing adjustments. Again, it seems that a WAV+G file set might be a good starting point.

Is any software available that can edit the video data file from a WAV+G file set?
Is this possible by some other method?
What tools do I need?

Issue 3:
Are there legal implications to doing this?
If so, is that why I can't find the tools to do it?

Thanks,
NorseMN
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM

What I Know and Think

Here's what I know.

Bin Files, and the original CDG Microstudio Files can be split by different programs into a Graphics File, usually called cdg and an Audio file. Wave , mp-3, and WMA are all possible. I think that mp3-g Toolz even does Ogg.

You can take the Audio file and process it, format change, Key Change, Equalizer, Volume Maximize, etc. or even Mix something in and as long as the length of the file is not changed, there is no problem reuniting it with the graphics, either to create a bin or zip or just playing the song with a credible player.

Don't Know

I don't know of any program that will allow you to edit the graphics file and still unite it with the audio. When I say edit, I'm not even talking about changing the words. I'm talking about merging it with another file, etc. I don't think any program allows you to change the words of the cdg file.

Do Know

Programs like KHP allow you to sychronize any text you like to the music, so that offensive words, etc. can be changed. I find that synchronizing the new text to music is a good way to learn the song so for me it is useful.

(KHP still doesn't created independent singing line capability, an element of some duets-other program(s) do)
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks, but how do I split the file?

Thanks for the info, jahern.

You say that "...Files can be split by different programs...".
That's great, because it solves at least half my problem.
So, what programs can do this?
Where can I get them?

NoerseMN
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM

Programs That Split files

Well of course Songvertor by MTU will do that.

For more info check out this Karaoke Tutor Website
http://www.karaoke-tutor.com
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I know that some of the people in here have used CDGFix to edit the graphics part after separation, but I also know it can be a difficult process to learn how to do it. Because it is actually graphics and not text, then it requires altering the graphics commands instead of just retyping the text.
As Jahern said Songverter can convert most formats including Hoster KMA files to other formats, so that will solve that part.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseMN View Post
I'd like to be able to separately copy the audio file and the video data file of an existing CDG, then edit either file and recombine them. ( I have both Microstudio and Hoster, but don't see a way to do this. )

Reason:
I occasionaly come accross Karaoke disks that have an error in the text or omit an audio component from the song that I'd like to add. In the most extreme case, I might want to add my own harmony track to a song that is created as a duet. Then I could sing a duet with myself.
It can be done with a little effort. I do it often to correct rerally bad tracks on commercial discs.

You will need Karaoke Home Producer and an audio editing program such as Goldwave to do this.

Import the Karaoke track you wish to change to your harddrive as a WAV, NOT CDG or BIN. The track is now a WAV file and can now be edited with the audio editor program to remove the extra time taken up by the Karaoke title and credits pages, plus any changes or additions to suit your needs. This removed time will be generated with KHP later.

Now go on the internet and find the lyrics and save them to the hard drive as a text file,(savea a lot of typing) and make any changes.

Now combine the edited WAV file and the edited Lyrics file into Karaoke Home Producer and create your new Karaoke file to be burned to a disc with Microstudio.

If you want the full original Karaoke disc with the new revised track, import the other tracks as Karaoke tracks, combine them with the altered track you made, and burn a new disc.

A bit of work, but not all that bad..Depends on how much you really want the new track, and whether the need would exist frequently enough to bother getting an audio editing program. Also depends on how creative you enjoy being. Got the feeling this would be a cup of tea for you, or I woldn't have bothered to respond

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM

OOOPS,

I guess I assumed (bad word) you'd know to use Microstudio to do the importing tracks to the hard drive, burning a new disc, and overlooked mentionong it

Erectile dysfunction treatment