MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM

Wink Internet, downloading, and karaoke

Has anyone heard of being able to download karaoke songs to the pc? I has a few customers tell me that a KJ was doing this. I try to be as legal as possible and I was not aware you could do this. Yes being legal gets me less money and time than the guy who rips him music off the net(regualr DJ music) Just curious if this was possible.

If anyone is intersted to know I have only been doing this for about 6 months and am up to 5 shows a week and I might have to buy another set of equiptment to keep up with demand!

Last edited by admin; February 10th, 2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM

Re: Internet, downloading, and karaoke

I've heard of people doing it, but know of no legal means of it.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM

Have you heard of CAVS. You can pay 1.99 per song and down load any song you want

Last edited by admin; February 10th, 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM

CAVS.com is the site for the Cleveland Caveliers ....

And why pay 1.99 for a song, if an entire CD+G disk with 15-18 songs can be bought for $18-$20, why pay $29 - $35 for the same amount of songs...
Old January 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYale
And why pay 1.99 for a song, if an entire CD+G disk with 15-18 songs can be bought for $18-$20, why pay $29 - $35 for the same amount of songs...
Depends on what they will be used for. To amass a large song inventory, like a KJ needs, what you say is absolutely correct.

However we have many private users who are more focused on obtaining songs they want. In that case spending even $5.00 per track ( that's what Priddis was charging for custom CDG's) can be much cheaper.

The average commercial CDG may have 2 songs you really want, and 13 you could care less about. That's quite intentional on the part of the manufacturer for obvious reasons.

At that rate you'd have to buy at least 7 discs to get 14 songs you really want. That works out to $126 to $140, using your numbers.

At $5.00 per pop through a company like Priddis, 14 tracks comes to $70, and and all 14 tracks are songs you want, no dead filler, and you have an original CDG.

I haven't checked Priddis in awile, they may have come down somewhat, dunno.

I haven't looked into Internet download tracks, most aren't legal anyway.

It's my understanding that Cavs tracks will only play on Cavs machines. That's the way it was a few months ago, and if it's changed, I'll stand corrected on that point..

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; January 4th, 2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM

Another Software I was using.......sells MP3+G's

[snip]

Hoster is much better in my opinion
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM

I download music from the net, I use wal-mart I think its 95 cents per song
I pay with a credit card is this legal ???
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM

The following thread contains the answer you are looking for.

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=4793
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:08 AM
VIP

If you get your music (karaoke or otherwise) from a p2p or an irc chat channel it's definately illegal/immoral. CAVS is legal although it requires special software to convert to cdg (and last time I looked they had a rather poor selection). I understand Top Hits Monthly is selling their songs in mp3g format and downloaded to you, I don't care for THM or I would have looked into it.

Sam
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike
If you get your music (karaoke or otherwise) from a p2p or an irc chat channel it's definately illegal/immoral. CAVS is legal although it requires special software to convert to cdg (and last time I looked they had a rather poor selection). I understand Top Hits Monthly is selling their songs in mp3g format and downloaded to you, I don't care for THM or I would have looked into it.

Sam
Actually, from industry sources we talk with, CAVS is NOT legal.

The songs the sell/sold from Steller records were not licensed. Stellar sued CAVS, but CAVS is in Korea and continued selling them for a long time (if not still doing it).

CAVS' Chartbuster Essential 450 songs on the SCDG disc work out to $0.10 profit a piece if all the royalties are paid... with Chartbuster, CAVS and a Distributor all getting a cut... of $0.10? Does Not Compute!
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Admin;

I think I'm confused. I don't own a CAVS so I'm going to ask this question. Are you saying that the songs that come loaded on this player from Chartbuster, THM and I don't remember the other label are illegal? Or are you saying to buy/download individual songs from CAVS is illegal?
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

There are only 3 companies we are aware of that pay the Mechanical Duplication License and the Synchronization License for Karaoke songs the produce and sell. Only one - Karaoke Bay - has been tested in Court and found to have legally produced EVERY SONG they have, and they pay all the royalties.

A very credible source that follows all law suits in this industry informed us that at least 7 of the major Karaoke Producers have refused to pay them for more than 10 years.

We have been told that the major producer now has $19 MILLION in suits against them.

The second largest is just under them.

Make your own decisions...
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:18 AM

RE downloading

I am so glad I read this thread/post. I continually have singers requesting songs that I dont have and have to buy disks that have gobbly gook on them (songs very few people will sing) in order to get one song. I was going to look into downloading some songs but not now. I am what you would call the Hobbiest KJ I don't do it for a living. I share my Karaoke Pleasure at the A & D treatment center that I work for. Yes you can sing Karaoke Sober. I also do it twice a month after AA meetings. But it would just be my luck that I would be the guy that Big Brother music industry would come after and take all his equipment. Al Bundy and I share the same kind of Luck sometimes . So I guess I will continue to buy the really bargain disks from Karaoke.Com and Wally World aka Wal-mart.
Oh by the way I have about 25 Karaoke Bay disks and really like them. Good quality sound, accurate Lyrics and clear graphics not a bad brand to sing off of.
"Life is short Sing Loud."
John
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Question

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't there something in the posting rules about recommending someone elses products?

ADMIN: Yep. The errant post is deleted.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM
VIP

Quote:
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't there something in the posting rules about recommending someone elses products?
You are not confused at all.
It's also just plain bad manners.

Sam
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:35 AM

i believe that is true.. and it's still not legal to use their songs (Because they didn't pay for thier liecencing)
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike
It's also just plain bad manners.Sam
Yeah, about like strolling into a Rodeo Drive boutique wearing a "Shop Walmart" sign.

George
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
karaokeangel

well if there are, I completely apologize. I was only making a suggestion, and thank you for your concern.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Downloading?

I first just want to say that I for one really like MTU's Software. I am sorry that KaraokeAngel took things so personally. If she is happy with her other brand of Software then why switch to any other? I also really like the forum! Being the newbie to computer karaoke that I am I have gotten some really valuable information.

I dont know a dang thing about downloading music off the net and am scared to even try. It would be my luck to have a virus invade and wipe out everything I have worked on. Lots of hours spent importing disks. As far as other software I looked before I made a decision to go with MTU, the updates and support and incorporating our Ideas into the software made MTU the best choice.

I really think that Hoster is fairly straight forward and easy to use. We can complicate it but the more things added the more to go wrong. The only thing that will make it absoulutely unbeatable in my book will be when I can import DVD titles so I don't have to use another player for that . Well sorry there is another thing too. but I'll put it into the request features section.
Have a great day
John
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:37 AM
BloodyLegend

Quote:
A very credible source that follows all law suits in this industry informed us that at least 7 of the major Karaoke Producers have refused to pay them for more than 10 years.

We have been told that the major producer now has $19 MILLION in suits against them.

The second largest is just under them.
Does this mean that anyone using discs produced by these companies could find themselves liable for prosecution? After all, even though the discs were bought in good faith, the fees/royalties haven't been paid.

If this is the case, in the best interests of KJ's everywhere, these producers should be named.

It also raises the question of whether or not these producers have the right to refuse permission to anyone that wishes to rip these discs to hard drives.