MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old September 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Light Show

Hi Everyone.

I'd like to get some ideas on a simple to setup, but nicely effective light show. Would anyone share some of their wisdom and ideas in these regards??

Thanks Dan
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

You can get by nicely with the following:
Chauvet Colorbank 8 (the halogen version) Replaces an entire set of par-cans and takes up 1/3 of the space. Cost = 89.00
American dj Mini starball for that mirror ball effect without needing a pinspot
cost 69.00
American DJ Vertigo cost 79.00
Any moonflower effect cost 39-69
Chauvet 50 watt strobe cost 30
Light stand cost 50 and up

this is just a guide, and is my basic set up. I do have additional lights I use too. I actually have two of the chauvet colorbanks. I like to place them on the ground on each side of the stage and link them together.
I also like to have one or two lights I can leave on all night which is why splurging on a good martin light is a good idea. I love my Martin EGO3.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Talking light show

Super Info, G Force! Thanks for responding!

Dan
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM

A colored lense over your strobe and pointed at a disco ball will give you some effects. Also the same ball with several different pinspots. I get by real well with a Razz Ma Tazz it's like an agressor with 4 cols of lenses and 300w bulb. A moonflower, and a strobe. Because it's sound activated the razz does work well also it has speed controls on the light itself. Combining the strobe and the razz works wonders also.
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Hey Swany. How you doing? Thanks for responding. Is working a light show difficult when your trying to do a Karaoke show? It seems like just getting the songs input gets kind of hectic sometimes. It would be nice to have a nice lightshow, but I'm concerned about trying to do both things, and not doing either very well.. .
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Because of the way I've built my shows running the lights is fairly easy. I've got an eight place switch controllers in my shows, simple to change from one to another. I run three way peavey cabs in my shows and one or both will get a light on top of them. (Keeps the drinks off too) Plus a light bar I set right next to my operating station one switch #8 always goes to a par can with a small bulb and red lense over my workstation low light but I have no problems reading everything I need to. I will say that if you make use of the space wisely you'll get a lot of lights for your buck. A moonflower can take the place of a disco ball. The razz ma tazz is one of my newest lights and does work very well. The agresser is about the same but bigger and bulkier. Depending where you are set up, either would do a good job if visable from the street to bring in more passers in the street. Just a few other lights and you can make a good light show with minimum equiptment. One other thing to the new people getting into the business, I will not buy another smoke machine, they are moot in a bar (plenty of smoke for light enhancement.) Most weddings I do the hall does not allow them, I have three in storage in my home and don't know what to do with them. This includes a ground fog machine. Keep it simple one or two very bright lights with sound activation, and a two slower lights for belly rubbing dancers. The strobes are the most underused equiptment I have but they do have their uses, I like them during the all girls dancing when I take a DJ break during my karaoke shows.