MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Ah yeah. Well if that is the mixer you are set upon, then just use both main outs, one is a 1/4" TRS balanced set & the other is an XLR. Run the XLR to the subs & the 1/4" to the high amp.
Still best recommendation would be to get an external crossover, you run XLR to the crossover, XLR low(sub) to sub amp & XLR(high/full range) to high amp. You will notice an immense improvement.
thanx, Lon. What's all this "simpler" hook-up by using fewer cords between the amps that Mono talks about. Any comment on that?

Old December 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
thanx, Lon. What's all this "simpler" hook-up by using fewer cords between the amps that Mono talks about. Any comment on that?
Not sure, using a Y connection to meld the two outputs of any mixer can do damage to the mixer, but that's what it looks as though he's recommending. Basically taking the two stereo outputs & summing them to 1 mono output. But again, this CAN do damage to the mixer.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Bryant, get yourself a BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER W/ A SUB WOOFER FILTER this has a diagram on how to set up your system ,not a lot of cables, no need for x-overs and eq's,no complicated adjustments, my system is hooked up the way the diagram is showing ( very, very simple )
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Hey guys,
Greetings from somewhere in Southeast Asia. I'm not even sure where anymore. It's kinda like that movie Groundhogs Day lately.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this. I been kinda busy.

As far as what I was talking about. There are several amplifiers on the market that will allow you to use one of your inputs as a line level output in mono. It is possible to use a y connector to sum the outputs from the mixer into a single line (recommend XLR) into one input of the amp and use the other input to daisy chain a line level (not amplified) signal to the input of a different amp. If you look at the multiamp setups of stadiums and large array speaker systems they run them sort of that way. With the amps you've described I don't know if its possible. Your RMA800 definitely wont do it and I don't know about the Mackie. Check the owner's manual. If it does then it will explain in graphic detail how to do it. I love Mackies manuals.

As far as safety I've been running systems like this for years and have never had a single hiccup.

I do whole heartedly agree with Lonman, though. A crossover is definitely the best way to go. Make sure to study all your speaker and amp manuals (especially their usable frequencies) before going to full power or you could blow something. Wrong frequencies into a tweeter or a bass bin can get expensive.

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
Hey guys,
Greetings from somewhere in Southeast Asia. I'm not even sure where anymore. It's kinda like that movie Groundhogs Day lately.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this. I been kinda busy.

As far as what I was talking about. There are several amplifiers on the market that will allow you to use one of your inputs as a line level output in mono. It is possible to use a y connector to sum the outputs from the mixer into a single line (recommend XLR) into one input of the amp and use the other input to daisy chain a line level (not amplified) signal to the input of a different amp. If you look at the multiamp setups of stadiums and large array speaker systems they run them sort of that way. With the amps you've described I don't know if its possible. Your RMA800 definitely wont do it and I don't know about the Mackie. Check the owner's manual. If it does then it will explain in graphic detail how to do it. I love Mackies manuals.

As far as safety I've been running systems like this for years and have never had a single hiccup.

I do whole heartedly agree with Lonman, though. A crossover is definitely the best way to go. Make sure to study all your speaker and amp manuals (especially their usable frequencies) before going to full power or you could blow something. Wrong frequencies into a tweeter or a bass bin can get expensive.

thats one thing about having an active ( powered ) speakers, you can just daisy chained it without having to go from one amp. to another (not to mention having to carry those heavy amps ) , and if you wanna use subs, all you had to do was plug in your speakers to the sub and sub to the board, and mackie boards has its own input for any kind of sound processors/monitor ( s)

Last edited by billyo; January 19th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Had a few moments to look at the manual for the Mackie M1400i you have.

Here's what you do........run stereo into the 1400 just like you already are from the 2 main outputs on your mixer. The 1400 has a THRU connection (basically two outputs that aren't amplified and are identical to what's going into the 1400). Get two XLR cables and run them from the THRU connections on the 1400 to the RMA 800 inputs. And then run out of each amp to your speakers as you already have been doing.

Or you can get a crossover.

Good luck with it. Gimme a yell if you need help.

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
Had a few moments to look at the manual for the Mackie M1400i you have.

Here's what you do........run stereo into the 1400 just like you already are from the 2 main outputs on your mixer. The 1400 has a THRU connection (basically two outputs that aren't amplified and are identical to what's going into the 1400). Get two XLR cables and run them from the THRU connections on the 1400 to the RMA 800 inputs. And then run out of each amp to your speakers as you already have been doing.

Or you can get a crossover.

Good luck with it. Gimme a yell if you need help.
Pretty cool trick; are you saying that this accomplishes exactly the same thing as I am doing now. It doesn't seem to save a lot of wiring, but just replaces a mixer to RMA800 wire set for a 1400i to RMA800 wire set. What is the real advantage here then?