MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: what is a fair amount?
100.00 - 150.00 28 9.18%
150.00 - 200.00 123 40.33%
200.00 - 250.00 91 29.84%
250.00 - up 63 20.66%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Frequent Member

Playing Devil's Advocate

For those who skipped over the subject line of this post; let me say again... I'm simply playing devil's advocate when posting this point of view.

Musikman (sorry if I misspelled your name, but I think you know who I'm referring to) made such a valid point, and I agree completely with what he so clearly stated in his post. There are so many varying levels of KJ's and the equipment they provide that it is almost a moot point to discuss what a reasonable rate of pay should be. Across the US and abroad demographics will affect maximum gig rates. Market saturation from city to city seem to be the most common factor in lower rates being paid to even the most experianced, talented and equipment endowed KJ.

I have been in the entertainment business in one form or another for over 20 years. That might suggest I'm a really old guy, but I'm only 41, LOL. As for karaoke, I know a lot of users here have much more time in grade than I do, but that not the point, nor is how long someone has been a KJ a real factor in how much they are worth.

I feel this thread still has value. I haven't visited this thread in a long time mainly because it has little value to me personally, but...

... New KJ's; both gifted entertainers who are well funded and skilled in live sound mixing and PA configuration and the lesser skilled poorly funded KJ's share common interests and goals. Most all of us got into doing this for similar reasons. Passion for music I believe leads the top 3 reasons for wanting to become a KJ. Let's face it; some people "suck" at performing and make even less effective KJ's. But as a long time advocate of encouraging everyone to try hard to achieve personal inbetterment; I say "Sing", and "sing from your heart".. The more you feel the encouragement from others the more you will learn to enjoy what you have always been passionate about.

OK, I'm gonna brag for a bit... I'm one of the lucky ones... Lucky in many ways. I run limited shows compared to years past due to dealing with a bout with cancer last year and perhaps that has changed or enlightened my perspective a bit. Surviving the past 18months is what makes me luckier than anything else, but KJ-wise I have been voted the #1 or #2 KJ in Nashville TN for the past 6 years. Not just my company, but me personally and I take pride in that. Nashville is filled with talented singers and talented KJ's, so I've been lucky.

If this thread survives, I believe it will do so to help the struggling new comers. It's a little intimidating getting started and one of the biggest question a new KJ will have to determine is "What am I worth?"

My advise to new KJ's is this:
As with any job you have ever had, or will have; if you make you "boss" look good and make them money, you will be worth more. That doesn't mean you will make more, but you will be "worth" more. Don't be afraid to ask for more money when you "know" you are the reason the business is thriving. Work closely with all owners and managers to improve business practices. The number one reason a bar owner/manager hires any entertainer is to increase sales. You must justify your existance and unlike a job selling shoes or working in an office, your successes and failures will be judged on a weekly basis.

Be consistant and help your employer to understand how your presence in thier business will require several weeks of consistancy to prove itself. Always greet customers and always be friendly; even with people you don't necessarily like.

You are in "Show Business". You will be in "Character" at times. That's your job. There will be pros and cons to it, but if you stay the course the pros will out wiegh the cons in the long run.

Pay structure if realitive. If you charge too much your life span may be shorter than you think unless you really are "that good". It's all based on how much money do you make for the venue you are playing.

Wow.... Did anyone read all of this long diatribe? All I really meant to say was... Keep this thread open for new comers. They have more questions than you think. As an alternative, a new thread for new KJ's to include topics covered in this thread could be helpful and perhaps more useful.

Happy Holidays to all!

Jeff "JW" Wear
Coyote Joe's Karaoke
Nashville, Tennessee

HP DV7
8GB RAM
2TB HDD
Intel Core I7 2670QM
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Graphics Adapter with Wi-Di