MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM

How do I add songs to Singers Database?

I can't figure out how to add singers/songs to this database. I did my first show last night and did very well. Some of the singers asked me if I save the request slips and I know why.

Is there a simple way to do this? I cant find it in the manual...

Thanks,
Z
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitd9922 View Post
I cannot figure out how to add songs to the singers database. Just putting up a + sign does'nt help us newbies much. Any more info or where to find this in the manual? Thanks
After you have selected the song and entered the singers name click on the S+ instead of the Add Track and it will be added to the playlist and also added to the Singers Database. You can do the same thing through the Search.
It is better explained in the section on the Search than under the main screen.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator

I split this out of the "Hoster Testimonial" to "Hoster Help" forum where it will get better answers.

You had an excellent question and this also will make it more visible to other "newbies" with the same concern.

I prefer to keep Testimonials clean and by themselves.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
After you have selected the song and entered the singers name click on the S+ instead of the Add Track and it will be added to the playlist and also added to the Singers Database. You can do the same thing through the Search.
It is better explained in the section on the Search than under the main screen.
I too haven't had any success figuring out the singer's data base. I have seen post in the past about using the S+ button but it doesn't work for me. Here is an example how I add singers request. Please advise if I am doing this wrong in terms of the singers data base. When a singer turns in a song request, I find the song from the search screen, enter the singers name on the same screen, set the key change if necessary then add it to the playlist. The song with the singer's name is in the play list but how do I call up the singer with the same song and the same key change that was first requested when I do future shows? I thought I would be able to recall a singer's previous request by the singers name which would include any key changes in future shows. Am I wrong or isn't this the way the singers data base is suppose to work. If someone could give a detailed description on how to do this it would help me and the person that started this tread, as well as others.

Thanks
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

When you locate the song in Search, add the singer's name and the key change then don't hit Add Track or Add & Close. Instead click on the S+. This will add the song to the Singers Database and will add it to the Playlist all at the same time.
Same thing from the top of the playlist. Find the song by either BookID or Brand, enter singer's name and key change. Then click the S+. Again this will add the song to the playlist and will also add it to the Singers Database.
To call up the information to add that song again later, click on the Singers button, enter the singer's name and it will list all the songs you have added for that individual. Select the one you want and click Add Track.

Last edited by ddouglass; August 12th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
VIP

Quote:
When you locate the song in Search, add the singer's name and the key change then don't hit Add Track or Add & Close. Instead click on the S+. This will add the song to the Singers Database and will add it to the Playlist all at the same time.
Same thing from the top of the playlist. Find the song by either BookID or Brand, enter singer's name and key change. Then click the S+. Again this will add the song to the playlist and will also add it to the Singers Database.
To call up the information to add that song again later, click on the Singers button, enter the singer's name and it will list all the songs you have added for that individual. Select the one you want and click Add Track.
Thank you very much, that is fantastic.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Both of you there is an explanation of this function under the Hoster Screen section of the manual. Scroll down to the part titled "Singers Button Details.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Both of you there is an explanation of this function under the Hoster Screen section of the manual. Scroll down to the part titled "Singers Button Details.
Dale, shame on you telling a MAN to read the manual! Don't you know "we"don't do that?

So... why have I spent over half my past 41 years writing manuals? Dunno... maybe I'm tupid!

Been at it today since 12:06AM on Hoster 4.10....
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Dale, shame on you telling a MAN to read the manual! Don't you know "we"don't do that?

So... why have I spent over half my past 41 years writing manuals? Dunno... maybe I'm tupid!

Real KJ's don't need no stinking manuals... We just point and click, 'til we find out how it works, or we crash the program, whichever comes first... Then we can come to the forum and either pat our own backs, or get sympathy in the face of disaster... Where do I find that 'tupid manual?

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM

i have never used the singers search before and, i followed Dales instructions and got it done in 2 min..i tried to open up the manual, but when i clicked on it, i got this msg. about direct x and said click on this...i don't click on anything ..so i said to myself i'll figure this out..but anyway i just wanted to try it, since i don't realy used the singers search anyway..
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Billy,
Say yes to the DirectX for the manual. DirectX is a utility on your computer that is needed for interactive operation within the manual in this case.
You can stop it asking by adding MTU.com to your "Trusted Sites" in the Internet Options under security.
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
VIP

Quote:

I am offended by your post! I have spent a great deal of money over the years for MTU products. I thought this forum was to relieve you of your responsibility to help your customers. Instead you insult us! Please feel free to ban me if you think my question was out of line. If my business isn't apppreciated, then I don't need to continue from here! I am disappointed in this post and your lack of understanding. Maybe, in view of your comment of creating manuals for your products for 41 years you have missed the fact that you may be of a greater intelligence then many of us. Maybe we don't deserve you products! I am apparently not worthy of you! Please realize that it has been over a year since you released hoster 4.00 and your customers have suffered through the fact that you have produced an inferior product that you have passed the blame on Microsoft Vista. Well, we are a year and counting and we still don't have the features that you stated would be available. I will no longer spend my money on your products and be expected to kiss your butt in doing so! Good day to you and I thank you again Mr. Douglas for you explanation on the Singers data base that this Admin person was not able to explain in the manual to this lowly incompetent person!

Walt

Walt
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
I am offended by your post! I have spent a great deal of money over the years for MTU products. I thought this forum was to relieve you of your responsibility to help your customers. Instead you insult us! Please feel free to ban me if you think my question was out of line. If my business isn't apppreciated, then I don't need to continue from here! I am disappointed in this post and your lack of understanding. Maybe, in view of your comment of creating manuals for your products for 41 years you have missed the fact that you may be of a greater intelligence then many of us. Maybe we don't deserve you products! I am apparently not worthy of you! Please realize that it has been over a year since you released hoster 4.00 and your customers have suffered through the fact that you have produced an inferior product that you have passed the blame on Microsoft Vista. Well, we are a year and counting and we still don't have the features that you stated would be available. I will no longer spend my money on your products and be expected to kiss your butt in doing so! Good day to you and I thank you again Mr. Douglas for you explanation on the Singers data base that this Admin person was not able to explain in the manual to this lowly incompetent person!

Walt

Walt
WaltR,
I wish to apologize for my levity, in the previous post... carless to be facetious and make light of someones problem or failure to locate in the manual, what you are having difficulties finding... I also have had problems that I know could be overcome by finding the solution in the manual, but just couldn't locate it after a thorough search...

The main point I would like to make, and DDouglas (Dale) has had to reiterate it many times, is that, with the new features comes an immense amount of development that goes on behind the scenes, and no one piece of complicated software such as Hoster, is going to work on every computer configuration that is available nowadays! So the beta testing is going to be tedious, and yet a few problems will only be uncovered by the programs usage by the masses, and those "bugs" fixed as promptly as possible with an upgrade...

Admin / MTU wants to put out the best product on the market, and IF you know Admin... Customer Service, by looking out for, and listening to the KJ (End User) and the features that we ask them to develop to make our job (shows) easier is JOB #1.

I hope the offense you took at Admin's futile attempt at HUMOR ( He get's one in, every once in a while) will, after a little time to cool down, I'm sure you'll realize that his remark, was just that, faceteous!

Have a great day!

Rick

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
WaltR,
I wish to apologize for my levity, in the previous post... carless to be facetious and make light of someones problem or failure to locate in the manual, what you are having difficulties finding... I also have had problems that I know could be overcome by finding the solution in the manual, but just couldn't locate it after a thorough search...

The main point I would like to make, and DDouglas (Dale) has had to reiterate it many times, is that, with the new features comes an immense amount of development that goes on behind the scenes, and no one piece of complicated software such as Hoster, is going to work on every computer configuration that is available nowadays! So the beta testing is going to be tedious, and yet a few problems will only be uncovered by the programs usage by the masses, and those "bugs" fixed as promptly as possible with an upgrade...

Admin / MTU wants to put out the best product on the market, and IF you know Admin... Customer Service, by looking out for, and listening to the KJ (End User) and the features that we ask them to develop to make our job (shows) easier is JOB #1.

I hope the offense you took at Admin's futile attempt at HUMOR ( He get's one in, every once in a while) will, after a little time to cool down, I'm sure you'll realize that his remark, was just that, faceteous!

Have a great day!

Rick
Rick,
I appreciate your apology but quite frankly I don't see the humor in Admin's post. I really don't believe it is your responsibility to apologize for Admin. Never the less, I thank you as I thanked Douglas for his simple and straight forward explanation to my inability to figure out a problem. It has been said many times in this forum as well as others that no question is stupid, only those that are not asked. One may expect a member of a forum to lose patience with what may be deemed a stupid question, but I would not expect that from Admin. This forum is to help each other or at least that is what I had thought. You and many others have done this in the past. I believe that Admin has saved themselves much grief by having these forums to buffer them from direct, time consuming contact from customers concerning their products. I am sorry but I remain offended by the Admn post and if an apology is warranted, it should come from the Admin person that made the post. I know they a busy and I know when things aren't going right they have to get a little thined skined but I for one will think twice before I try to get another question anwsered. We all have our limits and I have reached mine. Thank you for your attempt to smooth things over. You are very loyal to MTU. Hopefully they appreciate you as I do.

Walt
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Walt
Walt,
Please take this in the manner it was intended. Admin was joking with me. His comment was directed at me and not at you or any other users. It is a well no "fact" (myth?) that men do not ask for directions or read the instructions before trying to assemble or work with something. And he and I have talked about this many times. That is why he was picking on me. It was in no way meant to insult you are anyone else.

Just to set the record straight the problem in the early versions 4.00 wasn't Vista so much as it was was Microsoft's failure to inform software developers who pay a large amount for Microsoft support. Microsoft failed to inform them on the changes they made in Vista and how to work with those changes. MTU did a great job with some help from us all in figuring out what needed to be done in Vista to make their programs work. The whole time all this was going on those using XP were having very few problems.

So if you were offended I will apologize for myself and MTU for now. I am sure that Admin will also apologize in the morning when he sees your post. As he said he had been up since midnight working on getting the manual ready for 4.10 and doing some re-writing to make things easier to find. This thread is proof that some improvements needed to be made to the existing manual.

Last edited by ddouglass; August 13th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Walt,
Please take this in the manner it was intended. Admin was joking with me. His comment was directed at me and not at you or any other users. It is a well no "fact" (myth?) that men do not ask for directions or read the instructions before trying to assemble or work with something. And he and I have talked about this many times. That is why he was picking on me. It was in no way meant to insult you are anyone else.

Just to set the record straight the problem in the early versions 4.00 wasn't Vista so much as it was was Microsoft's failure to inform software developers who pay a large amount for Microsoft support. Microsoft failed to inform them on the changes they made in Vista and how to work with those changes. MTU did a great job with some help from us all in figuring out what needed to be done in Vista to make their programs work. The whole time all this was going on those using XP were having very few problems.

So if you were offended I will apologize for myself and MTU for now. I am sure that Admin will also apologize in the morning when he sees your post. As he said he had been up since midnight working on getting the manual ready for 4.10 and doing some re-writing to make things easier to find. This thread is proof that some improvements needed to be made to the existing manual.
Thank you Dale for your soothing influence here. Your 40+ years in the Air Force (God bless you!) on Tech Support has given you much grace and wisdom, as I clearly need more of.

Quote:

WaltR, what can I say? There was nothing in my post pointed at you. If you feel I owe you (not Dale) and apology, then I offer it now. I truly appreciate ever customer and participant in the MTU.Community.

I had been up since 12:06AM and posted 8 hours and 5 minutes later. I was doing CREATIVE writing, which is very taxing. I was so tired I was punchy. I let my hair down and joked for one post. I'm sorry you didn't pick up on it.

As a MAN, I very well know my reticence to read manuals, even though I write them myself. I got tired of writers I hired not learnling how the product worked and thus writing fiction. The manual may be hard to read, but it is accurate.

As Dale posted, he and I have had MANY discussions how to better organize the manual. I have been doing just that.

My comment about "maybe I'm tupid" was at me written to Dale, not you or any other honored customer. I have been burning 20 hours/day for over a week on the 4.10 manual, and my brain is about at its limit.

I am not as sharp as I used to be, and at that moment, I truly was feeling stupid... unable to grasp the new concepts and write clearly about them.

I'm restructuring the manual from being "reference" focus to being "feature" focus. It's stressful as I'm an engineer by talent and skill. I've got to come out of my comfort zone to restructure the manual.

The new changes we are finishing in 4.10 are incredible; audio fading in/out, a new Background Audio Player under automated control by Hoster to fade in audio whenever Hoster stops (or before your show begins), and one of the longest requested features... removing silence at the start/end of Karaoke songs.

But we didn't just remove silence, we draw the TItle page and any others very quickly so you can see in a fraction of a second (i.e. no wait time). It is SO GOOD, that some of our Beta Testers croaked on us!

They said there isn't ENOUGH time before the music starts. No, that was our goal; the song now starts exactly where the music starts. One can say we did TOO GOOD a job. So, we have added a new feature in the Remove Silence dialog box where you can add an exact amount of silence BACK IN (0-9 seconds) before the audio starts, and independently, after it finishes.

But then some songs didn't have that much silence in front of the audio to start, so they were erroring out. So, we change the code so if the start of the song to the start of audio (the silence we remove) is LESS THAN the fixed silence you want, we can give you back the silence we removed, but no more. This will go out for testing today, Lord willing.

This release is being pollished as never before. While I'm writing now, I run Hoster in background. It is so pleasing to hear the audio fading, with no silence (I set my Add Silence values to "0") between them.

Do we need crossfade? That means adding an OVERLAP where two songs are playing together. Well, given that the DEMAND was to add silenece back in, I don't think Hoster users will want OVERLAP, but if I'm wrong, as I have been many times, then we'll add an Overlap field so you can dial in what you want. We're just toolmakers... you folks are the users and we do our best with our talents and skllls to give you the very best possible to meet your DESIRES... not just needs and wants.

I hope you have a great day,and again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM
VIP

Red face

Quote:
Thank you Dale for your soothing influence here. Your 40+ years in the Air Force (God bless you!) on Tech Support has given you much grace and wisdom, as I clearly need more of.

WaltR, what can I say? There was nothing in my post pointed at you. If you feel I owe you (not Dale) and apology, then I offer it now. I truly appreciate ever customer and participant in the MTU.Community.

I had been up since 12:06AM and posted 8 hours and 5 minutes later. I was doing CREATIVE writing, which is very taxing. I was so tired I was punchy. I let my hair down and joked for one post. I'm sorry you didn't pick up on it.

As a MAN, I very well know my reticence to read manuals, even though I write them myself. I got tired of writers I hired not learnling how the product worked and thus writing fiction. The manual may be hard to read, but it is accurate.

As Dale posted, he and I have had MANY discussions how to better organize the manual. I have been doing just that.

My comment about "maybe I'm tupid" was at me written to Dale, not you or any other honored customer. I have been burning 20 hours/day for over a week on the 4.10 manual, and my brain is about at its limit.

I am not as sharp as I used to be, and at that moment, I truly was feeling stupid... unable to grasp the new concepts and write clearly about them.

I'm restructuring the manual from being "reference" focus to being "feature" focus. It's stressful as I'm an engineer by talent and skill. I've got to come out of my comfort zone to restructure the manual.

The new changes we are finishing in 4.10 are incredible; audio fading in/out, a new Background Audio Player under automated control by Hoster to fade in audio whenever Hoster stops (or before your show begins), and one of the longest requested features... removing silence at the start/end of Karaoke songs.

But we didn't just remove silence, we draw the TItle page and any others very quickly so you can see in a fraction of a second (i.e. no wait time). It is SO GOOD, that some of our Beta Testers croaked on us!

They said there isn't ENOUGH time before the music starts. No, that was our goal; the song now starts exactly where the music starts. One can say we did TOO GOOD a job. So, we have added a new feature in the Remove Silence dialog box where you can add an exact amount of silence BACK IN (0-9 seconds) before the audio starts, and independently, after it finishes.

But then some songs didn't have that much silence in front of the audio to start, so they were erroring out. So, we change the code so if the start of the song to the start of audio (the silence we remove) is LESS THAN the fixed silence you want, we can give you back the silence we removed, but no more. This will go out for testing today, Lord willing.

This release is being pollished as never before. While I'm writing now, I run Hoster in background. It is so pleasing to hear the audio fading, with no silence (I set my Add Silence values to "0") between them.

Do we need crossfade? That means adding an OVERLAP where two songs are playing together. Well, given that the DEMAND was to add silenece back in, I don't think Hoster users will want OVERLAP, but if I'm wrong, as I have been many times, then we'll add an Overlap field so you can dial in what you want. We're just toolmakers... you folks are the users and we do our best with our talents and skllls to give you the very best possible to meet your DESIRES... not just needs and wants.

I hope you have a great day,and again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
I appreciate your response to my concern. Maybe I should apologize because I thought your post was directed to me and the others that were asking a question that I for one did not sort out in the manual. I understand being overly tired, in fact that was my state last night. So again, thank you and I offer my apology for over reacting and not understanding your post. I need to chill out a little I guess.

Walt
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I appreciate your response to my concern. Maybe I should apologize because I thought your post was directed to me and the others that were asking a question that I for one did not sort out in the manual. I understand being overly tired, in fact that was my state last night. So again, thank you and I offer my apology for over reacting and not understanding your post. I need to chill out a little I guess.

Walt
I'm glad you forgive me and understand.

Now, I hope you enjoy the Singers Database. It's a wonderful tool to help you make your "regulars" feel special. It can even save the Key Change for individual songs for each singer! That'll impress them when they return for the next show... which is our goal to help you, our customer.
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
admin, you dont have to apoligize to anyone here !
You are right Bevis, But WaltR and Admin are REAL MEN and know when they MAY have said something that offended someone and own up to that. Everyone was just trying to help.

I have found (for my own benefit) that printing the Manual is easier for me to find things in it. (And Yes, I am a man and DID read the manual start to finish) Thanks Admin.

I also carry the page about importing singers disc with me as some have thought I was 'stealing' their songs from their disc, this way I can show them that the song is in a temp file that deletes after being played and protects them and their music.
Motherboard with 6 channel Audio
2GB RAM
250GB AV hard drive
256MB Video Card with S-video and dual display
DVD-ROM Drive
430watt power supply
Rack mountable case

Last edited by JNS02; August 25th, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Wording