MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Re Upgrading Microstudio to 4.000

I have 2 questions.

1) The computer I have connected to the internet has Microstudio version 3.004 on it. If I upgrade from 3.004 to 4.000 will I lose the 800 or so song files I have loaded into 3.004 ? If so, can I somehow save the song files (now in 3.004) and transfer them to version 4.000 rather than re-inputting them all again from CDG discs ? I ask this because it appears that downloading 4.000 will automatically uninstall 3.004 before installing 4.000.

2) My second computer,not connected to the internet, has version 2.611 on it. I plan to use my second download of 4.000 to install 4.000 on this computer probably via memory stick or cd. I've read on these forums of several problems re conflicts with 2.611 when trying to install another version. Would I be wise to delete 2.611 manually, then download 4.000 as a new program to this computer ? Next I would ask the same question I asked in #1 above. Can I somehow save the song files I have in 2.611 to transfer to the new 4.000 instead of having to reinput them from CDG discs ?

Thank you for any input you can give me.
NYTEHORSE7 Jerry
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM

As far as the second question, yes uninstall 2.611 manually, then install 4000.
If any other MTU products get knocked out just reinstall them (assuming you saved the registration codes as MTU beat theirr brains out trying to get members to do.

For the first question, no song files are stored in Microstudio. They are in whatever folder you saved them in on your hard drive.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your reply George.

The following will make my lack of computer "savvy" obvious, but here is what I found in checking for a location of the songs in my "online" computer which now has version 3.004 installed on it. They appear to be in a folder titled "songs" with location and other info as follows:
25.7 GB 784 FILES, 1 FOLDER
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICRO TECHNOLOGY UNLIMITED\MICROSTUDIO

To my mind, because it appears they are in a "Microstudio" file, I fear they may be deleted when I download 4.000 and it "uninstalls" 3.004, then installs 4.000. The "songs" folder must be the default location that Microstudio put them in when I uploaded from CDG as I did not, to my recollection, choose a file to store them in.

I guess all of the aforementioned just adds more questions. First, with this additional information, do you still feel that an "uninstall" will leave these files in the "songs file so I can use them in 4.000 ? Second, if the uninstall / reinstall does leave them alone, how do I get them into the 4.000 once installed ?

I've been using Microstudio since 2003, have upgraded several times over the years since, was even a Beta tester at one point, and love the Microstudio program. However, the reason I don't have an understanding of the "uninstall" / "reinstall" situation and have never had to be concerned about losing files or the file location of songs etc. is that I had 2 computer crashes in 2005 which necessitated a total reinstall twice. Everything was lost in both instances, so, no need to have a concern about losing song files as they were all gone and had to be reloaded anyway.

Sorry for the length of this posting. Any further help you can give would be appreciated. My best to Doug and all the hard working, fine folks at MTU.
Nytehorse 7 Jerry
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Jerry,
A uninstall of a program is a bit more controlled than a computer crash. When you uninstall version 3.004 only the program files get removed. All other files are left in their original location. So when you install version 4.0 and open the program, your songs will show up in the left window.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

IF... you were to follow the instructions in some Threads in this Forum and manually delete the \Microstudio folder, and your songs are in \Microstudio\Songs, then yes, YOU (not the uninstaller) would delete your songs.

If you want to be absolutely safe, move the files to another folder, such as C:\songs.

Microstudio 4.0 has a Browse button that you can find any folder and make it your new default from then on until you change it again.
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If you want to be absolutely safe, move the files to another folder, such as C:\songs.
Not only would that be safe, it will be more convenient in the future to access the songs folder to make changes. You'd simply open your c: and there would be your song folder. That's what many of us do.

Erectile dysfunction treatment