View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Frequent Member

Norton Ghost version 9.0

Hi, I use Norton Ghost version 9.0 to create a functional system identical to my main system. The "Copy Drive" tool does that beautifully. It allows you to specify several parameters such as whether you want the cloned drive to be bootable, copy the MBR, Drive letter, etc. Since my primary Hoster system and my backup are identical this process works great for me. In my system the C: drive holds all the applications and operating system files and the D: drives holds my kma files. The only thing that I have noticed is that when cloning the C: drive it is best to leave the drive letter of the cloned drive unspecified. When you complete the copy process and put the cloned drive into the backup system Windows will immediately do a disc check and then reboot itself and from that point on it works fine. The D: drive copying is very straight forward and the only thing you may have to do is reassign the drive letter once it is put back into the backup system. You have to be careful to make sure you are cloning the correct drive so paying attention to what you are doing is critical. Also, I have seen the cloning operation fail when programs are running in the background. Other than that it has been a perfect tool for me and I always have a backup system ready should my primary fail.