View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:29 PM

yikes!

Flip:

I'm sory, I did not mean to start a firestorm here and didn't come on trying to tell everyone how to run their business. As the thread indicated, I felt I had an interesting perespective. One with points you may not have heard before. I have seen about 25-30 KJ busineses throughout the country and the list I compiled were things that I noticed about many of them. This was not a personal attack but hopefuly a different perspective.

While I don't know everything about this business, I have seen and read enough to know that the majority of KJ's don't treat it like a business and more like a good time and a night out and the 8 points reflected that.

I appreciate your feedback and that you agreed with a majority of what I had to say (5 out of 8 ain't bad). Hopefully some KJ's will be open to seeing some of themselves in those points and change for the better.

I won't make this post longer by going point by point and responding. I am a businessman who has started and sold a number of businesses, one of which I am still operating. I am naturally interested in operations and in making things better, more effecient and profitable. If you took my post personally, maybe it's because some of it rings true... maybe not.

One point I will contest because I think it was misinterpreted. Karaoke is great entertainment but when the Kj sings regularly in the rotation, takes too much time between songs because he is joking with the crowd or spends too much time socializing and too little on the business at hand, the patrons don't like it. You are right that nobody thinks the KJ goes fast enough. So why take more time between songs other than to thank the last person and introduce the next one? if it is done pleasantly then everyone will be happy

I caught your point that this was my first post. Without knowing any background, though, you assumed I was naive. I have read hundreds of posts on these boards over various topics and threads. I became well acquainted with the business from yours and other KJ's experience here, in discussions with operators onsite as well as my own experiences as a patron.

I'm sorry you read it as an attack on your business. If anyone else who reads this thread takes it personally, I'll apologize in advance to you. These were points that would make every business better if we weren't so quick to dismiss them.

I look forward to contributing to further discussions.