View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Frequent Member

Question

---Making full use of 5.3 and direct-X requires a separate sound card, which of course implies some interactivity with other current audio programs, which implies use of current computer technology. I still have a very functional Pentium 166 in my MTU-configured rig, but I obviously have to upgrade to deal with the world as it now is and MicroEditor as it has become....I also have MicroSync (ISA, right?).

I'm getting ready to spend money to upgrade my computer audio rigs. I think I, along with everyone else, need some heavy direction and advice on upgrading from MTU. We need information on any implications for using new processors, motherboards, SCSI or no, etc. We know from this site that SoundBlaster is problematic. Are there cards that are not problems? We need to know more about interactivity issues of all sorts, and all plans for interactivity.

MTU has, before now, existed in a world alone. This is obviously not now possible in the current professional audio environment and involves a philosophical shift for the company. I need help understanding the new philosophy and the technical implications. Some additional, pertinant particular questions:

-How does MTU specifically plan to implement multi-track support?

-Will MTU support time-stamping of files (Broadcast.wav)?

-Will MTU consider implementing Open-TL, the new Tascam EDL format that I believe will take over the market shortly, wildly surpassing OMF?

-How is MTU aiming at the "software only" issue that has been talked about in the past (i.e., use other folks hardware for I/O?

-With no plans to implement new hardware, can we achieve wordclock lock via master video sync (a la AArdsync)?

-----That should do for a starter.

Geezer