View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

MTU changed from Plextor because they (Plextor) are no longer certifying their drives as being CDG capable. Most of the major producers have switched to NEC drives which is why MTU chose to do so. No where in the text on the website does it say that you will get a Plextor drive.
As I understand it MTU is only certifying that the drives they sell works with MTU programs, meaning the drive reads and writes CDG format. I doubt they test it on any other programs, but I agree they should work with other programs as well though that isn't an MTU responsiblity.
Have you tried checking with NEC to see if there are any firmware updates?
Quote:
"for the drive to work, you will need Microstudio or Hoster software from MTU."
You have taken this partial statement out of context. What they are saying is that they are only certifying it for MTU karaoke software and no other karaoke software. This means they have tested the drive only with their programs. Any DVD burner should be able to perform all of the rest of the functions with Roxio, Nero or any conventional CD/DVD burner software.
Just because you got a bad drive does not mean all the rest will only work with MTU software. Try sending a Support ticket with your problem and see if they will replace it.