View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Honor Roll

I don't think it's any great secret, but I attribute my success to consistently being fair and transparent. What I mean by that is, I keep a 4'x4' dry erase board for people to sign up. No one sings that hasn't signed up, and the order is strictly adhered to. New singers sign up at the end of list. After the last singer, I start back at the top.

I know lots of other DJs have convoluted ideas of what they think is fair, and I am sure they have the best of intentions. It may even be more fair than my particular system. But if it is not immediately obvious to a brand new customer just walking in off the street, it can appear to be unfair. This is the edge that I think my system has. Everyone can see exactly how the list progresses, and that there are no "favorites".

I learned long ago that it is not enough to be honest and uphold your integrity. You have to be completely transparent to alleviate any HINT of impropriety. People will respect that, and return because of that.