View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:58 PM

Dart Girl,

When it asks you to "Select Input File" it is asking you which track you wish to work with.

Click on the words " Select Input File"

A window will open.

Click on the arrow at the right of the "look in" box. This opens a drop down menu to find the folder where you imported the songs to. They should be listed indivually as you named them.

Double click the song you wish to use.

After selecting the input file, unclick"Create Mono File For Karaoke".

Click the Low vocal reduction control box. The song should start playing. Slowly slide the Low slider to the left until you hear nothing.

Click the High vocal reduction control box. Slowly slide the high slider to the right until you hear nothing.

Click Play Vogone. Repeat the Low and High steps until you get maximum results.

Increase output level back to normal by sliding the Output Amplitude slider up until it is close to it's original level. You can switch back and forth between "Play Original" and "Play Vogone" to check this.

The Remove slider lets you remove less than full removal when desired.

Now comes the part where you will get conflicting information. There is a school of thought that Karaoke players do not play stereo. Not so. Most will play stereo and most of those that won't will automatically convert stereo to mono. It is therefore unnecessary to check the "Create Mono File For Karaoke" block, which compromises the stereo effect. Leave it unchecked.

Now, depending on whether you're in the Play Original or the Play Vogone mode, simply click Stop.

After you've processed it through Vogone and want to save your work, you stop the playback and click "Select Output File". A "Save As" box pops up, with a place to enter the name you wish to give the output file.
I always type in the same info as the input file, except I identify it as having been through Vogone by adding a VG. This prevents overwriting the original and makes the new file easy to find.

I would type in c:\your folder\crazyvg if the original .WAV file was c:\your folder\crazy.wav No need to type in .WAV as the program will do that.

Click "Save"

Click "Write File" at the top.

Dialog box pops up asking if you wish to write file, click "Yes"
when done, dialog box pops up telling you it's finished. Click "OK".

The only thing I haven't mentioned(I hope), are the Loop Start and Loop End sliders in the play control section. These are there to prevent you from having to play an entire song over and over until you get it processed. you set the Begin Loop slider at the beginning of the vocal portion of the song, and the End Loop slider further into the portion of the vocal and that section in between the sliders will keep repeating until you're done. Whatever degree of vocal reduction you achieve between the sliders will prevail throughout the song.

Vogone can also be used on strictly instrumentals to get rid of or reduce an overpowering lead instrument to make the song easier to sing to. Opens up a whole new avenue for creating your own Karaoke cdg's.

DON'T BLAME YOURSELF OR THE PROGRAM IF THE RESULTS ARE NOT AS SATISFACTOY AS YOU DESIRED. VOCAL REMOVAL CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM NEAR TOTAL TO HARDLY ANY NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE MANNER IN WHICH THE RECORDING WAS MADE; THE CENTERING OF THE SINGER AS RELATED TO THE STEREO TRACKS(CALLED CENTER PANNING, IF EQUALLY DIVIDED), THE AMOUNT OF REVERB AND/OR ECHO ADDED TO THE LEAD, ETC.,ETC.,ETC.

You might want to read the posts in the Vogone Forums to get a better handle on this.

Take care,

George

Do as you wish, but to make my life simpler using all these programs, I made a new folder directly on C: that I named MTU SONGLIST. I import all my CDG and .WAV tracks into that folder. The programs(Microstudio,Kpro, etc) will find the appropriate format for you because you will input whether you are trying to use a .WAV or a CDG file. It makes navigation a whole lot easier, at least for me. If you already have a system in place that you're comfortable with, then ignore this idea.

Last edited by George; May 25th, 2003 at 08:41 AM.