View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
In Australia.... If you are a host that is a superb singer and entertaining, the punters (patrons) don't care. We have a tall poppy syndrome down here. If the best they will cut you down. If you are the worst, they will lift you up. The punters love it when someone sounds terrible. I have some world class singers follow my show because of the quality, and the punters don't even clap. When a crap singer has a go, there is a standing ovation. Karaoke to me is for people who can't sing. As soon as you have a good singer singing to karaoke it becomes a different ball game. It then is a solo performer with backing music, not karaoke. People down here don't want to hear the host sing, even if there are no singers. The host, if they are good singers, should have another show (not karaoke) just for them to sing at. Then you can build a fan base and make your life more rewarding. You have the gear, practice at home and be the star you aspire to be and get out there and do some real gigs. There is nothing worse than a host singing at his own karaoke gig.
Stefan, we are finally in real strong agreement. I agree with everything stated above. I wish it was this way a little more in the States, too. But the biggest complaint I do get about the other hosts is that "it's all about themselves", which simply means they probably sing at their shows when there is no need to.