View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Hey Bryant,
You've always said that you were in one of the poorest areas in the country. Seeing any changes in Maine?

Jim
Only a little, but not so much in the bar business. As I've said before, there isn't much money around here at all anyway. I have noticed that the drinkers still always go out and find the money to spend on drinks, even those without jobs. They always find a way to get drunk, that's what a lot of ppl around here are good at, and those are the ones that don't work, usually. The normal working person, around here, maybe comes out a little bit less, but those were the type that didn't go out that much to begin with anyway.
The thursday night gig at Applebees that I've been doing for three months and barely breaking even there was just starting to pick up just a little. The corporate mgt. said that they are to close anything down that they are putting out money for even though they were making a lil bit on karaoke, the other applebees in the area were running in the red. But, they said they're gonna call me in the Spring. Funny, too, the place was packed that last night. Another bar called me this morning and asked if I was available this Thursday. Just lucky, I guess.

But, you know, I can't remember a time in history where there wasn't some kind of economic slowdown going on, or some kind of recession coming, or some kind of recession were in. I mean really, do you really ever remember a time where a new (or in-office) president ever said "Boy, times are really good right now, I think we're all set". It seems like every point in history has been a "not so good time right now to spend money", and the cost of this or that will be going up and ppl will be losing jobs.

In fact, I'm thinking right now of retiring from my regular fulltime day job as a teacher with full benefits, including dental and eye care (a 100% paid) and decent salary (for Maine) working only 8 months a year. I'm 58. Iwould be retiring at 61 anyway.

I'll just gig a little more during the week where I have been taking it easy and perhaps promote a few more wedding gigs too.