View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM

I'm in North Carolina and adversely effected by the economic downturn although I also work as a live musician and business is sill good there...except of course that the first quarter is always slower.

I have seen my karaoke business go way down however and I think one of the main reasons here is that there are a million mom and poppers out there who give away the service. I will stay home and collect welfare before I start my truck for 100.00 or 150.00.

I have worked as a touring musician, dj/kj, events planner and games and rides provider in the private, corporate, club and college market for over 30 years and I can tell you that in the Southeast they are motivated by cost and it is a very cautious market. They will hire an operator with two ten inch speakers and 1000 songs in their books over a true pro to save 25.00 a night.

the economy will turn around and those of us who have chosen to make their full time living as entertainers will ride it out. I've had some super highs and low lows in my life but on the whole the fact that I've never put on a power tie and headed out on I-40 to work at 6:30 am with the rest of the pack makes it all worthwhile.