View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
VIP

Good vent, Jackielee, I agree with you, and Kilith, too; finally, right, Kilith. I live in the area of "cheap" bartenders as well, never give any extra, even when I stay a little later because of a good crowd. I guess he just wants to keep the bread.

I have heard bar owners remarks before, such as, "Why should I pay this person 25 or 50 dollars more when the other person is gonna bring in approx. the same crowd.".

When there isn't that much to do in an area, no one wants to travel too far because of strict liquor laws anyway, ppl will go to the only place that's open and close by, regardless of who the Dj/kj is. I've heard ppl say, "Man, I hate that KJ at so and so's place, but they go and say "Bryant, you should be playing there". It doesn't matter, other guy charges less, and they still go.

Al-in-all, I've been kind of lucky I guess, I get 150 - 200 a night for regular weekday gigs and all four places are within a mile from my house, get free drinks and food, and either use most of their equip., or bring little of my own and leave it there. No set up, no travel, little wear-and-tear on my stuff.

All of my weddings come from these places by word of mouth, are also in the area of 5 miles from my home,
and I get 450 - 550 for these afternoon gigs. And I don't do it for a living.

But the credit all goes to MTU's "Hoster". This is how all these gigs just flew at me. I play 6 times a week now.