View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Dont knock it guys! a bit of feed back on Boards and processors etc. Especially performance:
Rich's experience with motherboards is so worth noting. The guys and me build all our own PC's here.. done hundreds, used everything. For example: I guess most would think that any Intel/Intel motherboard would be ok.... absolute hog!!! MTU hated my last pure INTEL motherboard running a P2/550 . Yet I am using an Intel now with a 2 gig/P4. Apart from the MTU mini quirks.. Rock solid so far.

I always thought ASUS was by far the best.. Some are! The Via 133 series are all very dodgy. I have had FOUR bad Asus motherboards (of different P2/P3 types) in a row. Plus you have to play A LOT with jumpers when they are supposed to be automatic.
A couple of bad AMD's maybe took out a few boards or the other way around.. Took out the first MSI KT (raid version),I had. replaced it with the MSI KT3 Ultra with DDR333 memory.. Hmmmm! Seems very nice indeed ...
On the video side.. we shot a twin P3/900 running on an ABIT VP6. That ran, but probs. Particularly with Raid. So changed it out for a single P4/1.8 gig. Guess what? Nice and stable.... BUT NO more real time renders in transitions on the video,.... not even cross fades... very odd!
FIC.. boards too.. not had a lot of luck with them.