View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

For Geg:
Glad it helped. Interesting about the Abits. They seem mostly
OK with MTU stuff for me. I just built a P4 though with an Asus
P4PE (Intel chipset). The Raid on that is of little use-- will only run true RAID array (Promise chips). But on the Abits the HPT controller has been pretty good. I have one "genuine" Intel Abit and the Athlon machine, also 2 Tyan 1598s with K62AMD500s, plus some other stuff, as well as a pile of older systems (Rev J anyone) too. The Tyans are older but still work fine for most MTU things.

The HPT Raid controller on the Abit stuff seems happy enough to just run a regularly-formatted drive, giving you the extra IDE devices. All our machines have yankable drives, so it's
handy. I keep one system at another studio in NYC to lay stuff down when I'm there, and bring the drives back to edit-land.
The one in NYC is a very vanilla old P200, with a Krystal, an outboard 2 chan i/o and also an Apogee A/D to give me a few
ways to go. Most all I do with it is straight record.

The Asus P4PE is what I'll migrate XP Pro to first. With the Intel
2.40B gig CPU(the B is faster frontside), the thing is extremely fast.
Apps like Cool Edit Pro really seem to like it. And Krystal seems
happy too -- at least with Win98. I was afraid it wouldn't be due to all the IRQs being "native" assigned to all those on the board
peripherals. But two of the slots seem unencumbered enough.

Next machine I build will prob be an Athlon "2000" XP with an Asus board again, probably the A7N8X which is nvidia chipset.
Anyone tried Krystal with that combo?

The Abits do a lot of IRQ sharing too. I wound up with the SCSI card on the first slot next to AGP with those each time, and Krystal next one down with a hard interrupt assigned to it in BIOS from back when Krystal demanded it and I never changed.
(I have SCSI boards in all machines for outboard tape backer-upppers and various other stuff used sometimes, they are mostly cheap Tekram cards with no BIOS on them so cannot boot from a SCSI hard drive-- not impt for me.)

You get mucho USB 2 and Firewire on the P4PE, plus a load of
other stuff. Though neither Asus nor Abit give a whole lot of support , it's become better than it was. My Abit Be6-2 RAID abruptly died one day, and though out of warranty, they replaced it for a $25 US cost, so can't kick on that. First Asus P4PE came through bad out of the box though the reseller was good about replacing it.

Nice web site you have too by the way. But isn't it a little scary to be where you are in the world just now?? (I bet biz is booming for feeds out of there though... )

I checked a little more and the colors I changed with what was in the INI file were the BG gray, it is slightly more washed out looking than default, but the green numbers etc don't break up as they were doing on the Samsung LCD by setting it that way.

I've noted the rubbery cursor thing at the end of segments since the last update to Medit 54 which eliminated the need for an IRQ. It's at times an annoyance, though has been workable for the most part. Of course it let MTU work on many m/boards that Krystal didn't like, apparently-- so I guess that was pretty impt.