View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I am 100% legal. I have purchased about 600 CDGs and that is all that is on my HD. I also have 3 custom CDGs that a friend bought on the HD so that she does not have to bring them to house parties, but those songs are flagged as hidden in the song book and marked in the title field as 'private' so that I can ignore them on search results. They only exist on her Singers list. I have purchased about 20 custom CDGs from vendors who prove they are properly licenses. Even though 1 or 2 of these vendors have a pay & download option I have always gone the 'ship me a CDG' route so that I have physical proof of purchase. I am not nor ever have been a business. I have purchased everything as a hobby and do home shows with friends and the occasional charity show. At some point I will probably start doing paid shows and when I do I will be legal.

On another note, what about the issue of manufacturers and vendors who claim they are legit and fully licensed when in truth their practices may have been less than 100%. eg. I have 'heard' that Sweet Georgia Brown has questionable tracks. I have also 'heard' that the even Sound Choice has issues, an example being their U2 CDG that was pulled a few years back. I have no details on any of this as anything beyond rumor does not seem readily available. So while I have bought CGDs in good faith, it could be that some of the manufacturers and resellers have have created and sold me the goods in bad faith.