View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2001, 02:54 PM

Sound Choice Copying & Quality

Okay, now...let me put in my 2 cents worth to this topic. I do use Sound Choice disks in shows and such. I make a good living at doing this and have for a few years now. I have about 90% Sound Choice disks. For the first two to three years of my busniess, I have loved Sound Choice disks, praised them and recommended to all my customers that they go to the Sound Choice site or those sites that sell Sound Choice. I think the (Sound) quality of Sound Choice is absolutely wonderful. Up until about three years ago, I never had a problem with Sound Choice or their disks.

Now, let me tell you were my problems began. I am now a very disappointed customer of Sound Choice. Most of it is the customer Service that I've received from them since my problems began...but the disks have become a real problem. Since the very beginning until now, I have purchased more than 1000 Sound Choice CDG's. I keep up with all the current disks when they come out...I am aware of all the difference catalog titles...Star, Spotlight, etc. I've spent more than 20 to 25 thousand dollars on these disks.

Why am I giving so much of this imformation? Because I want to show just how much money I've put into building a SOUND CHOICE business and just how I've been treated or repaid for it, I should say. When I originally began, I kept all my disks, in the hard cases (Case Logic) that hold 60 CDG's apiece. As the years went by and my business grew, I got to three cases, then four...when I got to five, there was no longer any room on my tables to put the disks, so I had to change to the (Case Logic) softer cases...the ones that hold 200 to 250 CDG's at once.

I noticed that after a few months of using these cases, the paint started coming off of the front of the CDG's. Now, keep in mind that I have always taken very good care of my CDG's...all I do is slide them out of the case to play and then slide them right back in. Well, as we know, on the back of this paint is a refective material that bounces the signal back off the disk and into the laser eye of the CDG player. Well, without getting too technical, when the paint comes off, the CDG is utterly useless to play.

I began to notice this happening to hundreds of my disks over the next few months. And I even noticed it happening to ones that I would just by a week or two previous. Practically new disks (I have three right now not even two weeks old!!!).

When I conctaced Sound Choice of this problem, they informed me that NO ONE else had ever complained of this phenomina. I was apparently the only one. Didn't I feel priviledged to be one of a kind. Anyway, when I explained to the Sound Choice representative just how many disks that I had doing this and explained to him that I swithed from the hard cases to the soft because of the amount I of disks that I have, he told me....these were almost his exact words...don't use the soft cases anymore. "Really?" I replied. Well, what exactly was I supposed to do? Get 20 of the hard cases? I might as well sit my equipment on the floor with that many.

Then I said...so your telling me that I can't use a case that is supposed to be made for carrying CDG's because your product is too cheap to withstand it? Then he told me that it was just simply wear of the disks. To which I said...really? On a disk that's just a month old? Interesting. Then he told me nothing could be done. They would send me another disk at full price plus shipping. Except on the newer ones...they'd only charge me $5 for those plus the shipping. Wow? Another $10 for a disk that I just bought a couple of weeks ago? Wasn't this shaping up very nicely?

I then went back to check several dosen of my other disks...DK, music maestro, Backstage...ones that have been in my collection since the beginning and some that are played a lot more than some of the sound choice disks that are damaged. So, tell me...if it's wear on the disks, how come all these other disks...that his paint problems has NEVER happened to, seem to be fine?

I have spent a lot of money on these sound choice CDGs to have to just throw them away because they won't play anymore...and since Sound Choice apparently says that I'm one of a kind...I guess I just must not take care of my disks very well.

What am I saying in a nutshell? That I may be one of those people taking out a class action lawsuit against sound choice for their cheap products. I encourage anyone else out there with similar problems to let me know...I am tired of putting up with these disks doing this and nothing being done about it. I'm tired of throwing away money. Arent' you?

Last edited by admin; March 10th, 2005 at 03:32 AM.