View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM

Private clubs?

I recently returned from a vacation in Mexico. We asked around where they might be karaoke and the only place the hotel staff were aware of was a certain restuarant/bar. We showed up at 6:30 for dinner. Karaoke stared at 7 and for the 1st hour things were fine. Then between 8-9 all of the local regulars showed up and we noticed that the 'tourists' were no longer being called up to sing. After waiting forever we left, without leaving the karaoke host a trip. (In Mexico wages are low and everyone has a tip jar). I had a healthy tip put aside, but once we determined the lay of the land, no tip.

Walking back to our hotel we passed another restuarant with a karaoke advertized for 2 days later and went there the appropriate evening. This restuarant/bar catered to tourists and well as locals and we had a great time. We later found a 3rd restuarant/bar that worked the same way.

So, was there a problem with the 1st bar? That they catered to locals at the expense of tourists is not a problem. That is their right and privilege. That they played it both ways and did not inform the tourists (so as not to lose tourist dinner revenue) is a problem. Ultimately they do lose tourist revene because tourists talk to each other and give the place a bad rep. eg. We told people not to go there because their food/ambiance was no better than anywhere else, while we did recommend the 2nd karaoke bar (among others) because their food and drink was the best we found (we went there 5 times over 2 weeks). And if you wanted to do karaoke, avoid the 1st bar.

In the circumstance starting this thread I see a small established place with adequate regulars. To inform the public of the way things work (so that you don't have the same problem in the future) I would consider switching the sign from 'karaoke' to 'live entertainment', your quality regulars being the live entertainment. If anyone wants further explanation just say it is a public bar with private karaoke. Anyone is free to enjoy listening, but singing is by invitation.