View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM

CDR-DVD Burner, 18x IDE internal mount CDG Certified

This was shipped to me on Nov. 5, 07. On Dec. 2 I bought the Microstudio program.

What would cause it to read the CDG's correctly but the burning is hit or miss? When I say hit or miss when you burn a disc sometimes the title screen will not show on the track. Some tracks will burn one time and not be readable the next time you try to make a back up of the disc.

If read with the Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A from MTU they play fine in microstudio. If the files read from this drive are burned with the Sony DVD RW AW-Q170A which came in this computer they work quite well in a JVC CDG player.

I'm at a loss here. All updates from Microsoft are up to date from the custom menu. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Microstudio today thinking it was somehow corrupted from the MSoft updates to .net framework 3.xxx or one of their other updates.

I had had problems with the .net framework failing to update itself. I spent a few hours yesterday in microsofts knowledge base until they sent me to a third party to wipe the .net and started over from scratch. As I said earlier there are now no possible updates on their site.

The cd's are always read at 6x, for the error correction. Then usually burned at max on the Optiarc burner. I've tried slowing down to 16x and slower with the same varied results. It wasn't until today that I tried to use the files imported from the Optiarc with the Sony. This resulted in excellent copies of the Sunfly and Star Disc CDG's.

Could it be my power supply, doesn't seem likely since the other burner isn't having a problem? Possibly need for a firmware upgrade? Or something else.

Oh and by the way this is not a thread intended to bash the products purchased. Just looking to find an answer as to whether it is my equipment, the drive, or something else.

Windows XP professional Service pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+
512MB ram
Main drive 7200 rpm 250 Gig WD SATA (This is where MS and the imported files are)
DirectX version 9.0c
GeForce 6200 TurboCache with 256 MB ram
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A from MTU in early November 07
Sony DVD RW AW-Q170A came with box
Audio Controller: nVidia(026B)
AC97 Codec: ALC655