Thread: Major Headaches
View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswisher View Post
Now I had the error log checked by a tech and he informed me on several of the reports it was focused on Hoster and Media Player and deep into the Windows files and in his opinion it would benefit me to reload XP Pro and try again.
Was this by chance Geek Squad? This is their answer to everything. Next, they will tell you you had a virus and they have to charge you more to fix it. There is a side benefit to reloading your operating system. It will clear out anything that you may have inadvertently installed. If you do not take your system on the internet, you probably don't need an anti-virus or anti-spyware. Those can be disabled, and don't require a new operating system install.

I feel like your root problem is with the video card, or lack thereof. There is only so much you can do to try and work around this. I really hate to give this advice, but, I think you should consider a different machine for your gigs. You don't need the latest and greatest processor. I run my shows on a 1.8 GHz pentium single core. I bought the one I am using from PacificGeek for $80. I just checked, and they have a 3.2GHz with XP Pro for $140. What I do spend my $$ on is the video card. I would pair this with the 256MB PNY Verto GeForce 6500 for $52 also upgrade the memory to 2gb for another $40 and for less than $250 you have good solid machine. Please don't think I'm a shill for these guys, I am only pointing out 1 of many options. I would just hate for you to waste your time on a laptop that when it is all said and done, will barely, if ever, run Hoster songs, not to mention videos.