Thread: KIAA Membership
View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Wink

As i stated, preception is 99.99999% % of the game.

Quote:
IMHO Sound Choice is within their legal rights, to pursue the illegal bootleggers/pirates that have evaded paying for the rights to use the SC karaoke music...
I have read every single posting on this forum on this matter, and i haven't read anything that says sound choice doesn't have a right to pursue their property. No disagreement there. Again..preception.

Quote:
They obviously are testing the water, as how to go about it, and will ultimately ruffle a few feathers, using the legal system to corral the crooks, and allow the legitimate KJ's to do business as usual.
Simply not true. Many innocent individuals have been faulsly accused, a few have had their suits dropped. Not one, not one single apology to these individuals by the sleps. Right now, if i were in virginia, and i owned a bar, and a kj asked me to start up karaoke, what do you think i would say to him? Already there is a 20% drop in available karaoke night spots in virginia already. have legitimate kj's doing business as usual? where? Sir, you are naive.

Quote:
If you are a working KJ like myself and most other KJ's that are reading, and following the test cases of Phoenix, Az. and now Virginia... then you are either worried, or not,
NOT....and heres a news flash for ya. Neither are the majority of crooks. Concerned? of course. Not about the legality issue. But of the manner sound choice is using, costing a loss of jobs, and ruining the reputation of legal kj's. Sound choice does not want a single case to go to trial. They are in this for the money, and they have demostrated, they don't care who gets injustly accused. It is cheaper for an accused legal kj to settle, then to pursue his innocents, and reputation. Sound choice is counting on this.

Quote:
I have a preponderance of Sound Choice cdg's in my collection/library, {that statement makes no sense what soever}and find them to be close to the top of the list of manufacturers when it comes to producing a very good rendition of the original artists that they try to emulate for the Karaoke officianados, whether you are KJ's that make a living using the cdg's, or background music, hobbyists, etc. The quality is there... they paid a lot of money for the licensing rights, and still more in the production costs, for studio time, musicians, duplicating and recording gear, etc
I personally don't own that many sound choice disc. I will say they are actually no better then chartbuster, music maestro or pocket songs. They do the job. However, sound choice does not pay anymore for rights to a song, studio time, duplicating, recording gear, musicians then chartbuster, or any of the other top karaoke manus. And the other CDG manufactures have something sound choice no longer has now. Thats class, and respect of the karaoke community. This is of their own choosing...sadly

This is sounding more like a KIA {A} form letter the more i read it and reply to this.

Quote:
When somebody bootleggs your rights to make a profit from your business endeavor by pirating your licensed property, and shares it illegally, or make copies and then in turn sells it for profit, you would not sit still and take it either...
No disagreement here...Show me a posting on this forum, where someone suggest sound choice sit still for this? please. It's not the pursuit the legit kj's object to..it's the method, and the damage caused by this method. The loss of clubs, the loss of reputation, the bad name this is giving the karaoke industry as a whole. I do this as a hobby. And i'll tell ya...the ripple effect is already starting where i'm at. I predect, clubs will be going to DJ's, single accoustic guitar acts, small combos' piano singalongs, comedy acts, pool tables, video games. And...we have the shoddy messy tactics of the sleps to blame.
Don't come crying to me rikkie.

Quote:
they are going to recoup some of their lost profits by legal action against those that are grossly infringing, or blatently portraying an illegitimate operation that is profiting from the fruits of their labor, and skirting the licensing rights that Sound Choice paid to use, and in turn, profit from...
It's not legal action actually..it's the threat of a legal action. Big difference there. If you think for one minute sound choice is going recoup any substatial lost profits by taking a few kj's and bars to court, and making them settle for 6 grand, then you arenaive. Sound choice is trying to make examples of these poor slobs, and nothing more. And...don't be surprised, when someone holds sound choice to task, and wins... KJ's don't have deep pockets, but the bar owners do...and i can hardly wait. Sound choice stepped on the wrong toes there. The club owners hold the purse strings for the entire karaoke industry..hang on for the ride of your life.

Quote:
Boycotting Sound Choice will only hurt those that are illegal, and worried! Their business (SC), will return when the playing field is leveled, and most of the pirating is eliminated, and the illegal downloaded files can be stopped, so that the company can profit from legal licensing of down loads, and we can move on to the next controversy... and how to improve Hoster, for the future of Karaoke!
Wrong, a boycott of sound choice will also hurt the retailers who legally sell sound choice disc, also any future legal download sites. Also legit kj's. I am a legal operating kj. If there were a boycot of sound choice. I would out of respect for my fellow kj's also not purchase or even play any sound choice disc. And if you think i'm a minority, again...you are naive. I also predict, because of the actions of sound choice, the KIA{A}, the slep costopo, that the download part of sound choice, although i wish their endevour a complete success. Will Ultimatly be unprofitable. Kj's..myself included, by all this confusion alone...will not feel safe downloading anything. Right now, i say over 80% of ALL kj's have absolutly no idea what is a legal download site, or if there actually are any. How the sleps will over come all this mass confusion they have started, is anyone's guess. But i betcha, it will show in profits. Perhaps the slep clan can take all the download sites out there to court to? think so? As i read the majority of forums, and have KJ & dj friends in many states, and hear even way up here. Sound choice is digging their own grave.
Again......remember that perception thing i mentioned earlier? Confusion, rumors, misinformation, threats of law suits, club owners dropping karaoke. It's happening as i type. yep..... {shakes his head and sighs}

Last edited by ddouglass; February 8th, 2010 at 10:45 PM.