View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Well, I can say that the economy has had an effect on the bar business, and has had a trickle down effect on just about every other aspect. I am now no longer at a place that I had been running karaoke for over eight years. Business slowed down, people just could not afford to go out as often, and prices went up. There has also been an influx of people buying computers relatively inexpensive and then free downloading their songs, then getting multiple systems and offering to work on a.....sliding scale. It's the old "I will work for free for the first or second night, then we will see" or, I will work for $75.00, and the club owner pass a percentage more, if the bar rings up more." I have stayed consistent with my rates, but, it makes it tough to compete against people that just...POP in for little expense. Sorry, if I offend anyone, but, over the years, I have quite an investment in this business. I have been in the entertainment business for 40 years. I was a traveling musician, then came off the road and played. Bands went through hell for a period of time. It got very cut-throat. When I was 18, I was making $500.00 to $600.00 a week, for 4 night, plus my meals and room. When I more or less quit playing, in Spokane, it was a struggle to get $25.00 a night; because bands would work that cheap. When I first started running karaoke, I was running karaoke during the week, and playing in a band on weekends. BOY, did I catch hell from fellow musicians. They said I was a traitor, and I hurt THEIR business. Actually, I just combined the two. I had a wife and daughter to support. Well, I digress...sorry. Yes, I have definitely seen the economy effect this business. Daryl.