View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Frequent Member

"future software support"

....Although I no longer have any memories of which Medit software versions were which, I do remember going through some official release statements I found a while ago that were from around maybe '97 or so when Dave still thought he would continue development. There were all kinds of future promises about multitrack, etc., but they all turned out to be vapor.

I know Dave WANTED to include wordclock input, and had been told he could implement it with the Motorola chip....but I also know that he later realized that some significant Motorola promises were false, and I specifically remember him telling me that this was one of the promises that went up in smoke.

As far as syncing to the AES port, or SPDIF port for that matter, I simply meant that the card will do that anyway when you specify that port as the input port, as long as the input signal is coming from whatever device you want to lock wordclock to. This method of deriving wordclock works just fine, really, and I used it as a means of maintaining sync for a long time on video projects after the implementation of Krystal. This was important to figure out because the initial, very high quality chase ability of the rack mounted analogue I/O was undone the minute you started coming in digital only with Krystal......but it still worked in the same way as all the modern, native computer systems. In other words, as long as Medit lined up with incomimg SMPTE initially, then ran on the right wordclock derived from the incomimg digital signal, it will stay in sync forever.

The original rackmount I/O would actually varispeed the analogue output (by varying the clock) from MTU to match up with incoming SMPTE, but the Krystal card could not do this. The original system would really "chase", which was the initial reason I bought the system.

.......The most important rule about digital is this: Any digital input must sync exactly with the wordclock of the source, or to another wordclock source that is exactly in time with the digital audio source. Before the proliferation of wordclock ports, the only way we had to do this was syncing to the input source.....and many times that is still the only way. I mentioned AES because it is slightly more solid in this way, but SPDIF works okay, too.

When I am clocking my Alesis Masterlink for playback to its AES input, I am actually using an AES output of my master wordclock generator usually......but I would obviously be syncing to the input stream if I was recording on it, or to something else if it had to be in sync to something else....