View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Administrator

KPro and Unicode

Benjamin, KPro 4.008 does allow using Unicode 2-byte fonts. These are the Asian fonts that require more detail than other fonts.

However, as pcgumshoe pointed out, and he is remarkably accurate, KPro 4 only allows one font to be used throughout the lyric area. Thus, you could not use a Chinese font and an English font in the same song.

KPro 5 allows changing fonts on every line (actually on every character ). And, as pcgumshoe again accurately pointed out (he must read all our posts ), KPro 5 will allow duets with 3 singers - Singer #1, #2 or Both together. This would allow you to use Chinese for Singer #1 and English for #2. You can synchronize them to sweep to the music separately so each is in perfect sync to the music.

With the CD+Graphics data format, if you notice carefully, a graphic image can take up to 11 seconds to full draw on the screen. There is no way to make it appear faster for a CD+G disc. It is not reasonable to have a graphic on most lyric pages, as most of them will draw, highlight and be replaced by the next page in less than 11 seconds.

We made the decision for KPro 5 to not support the graphic image on 50% of the lyric pages. However, I am sure what you want to do will be very easy (photoshop will not be required) to do with a Duet song.

Now... it is past mid-August and we still don't have the final release candidate yet. We are close, and I should get a new release today with a major bug repaired, and full graphics support. The last remaining part is the final Export CDG File command that takes all your colors, fonts, point sizes, sweep timing, etc. and writes the CDG format file on the hard drive. We are close, and it may be there tomorrow.... I hope so!!!

Unless something really bad happens, we should have all the code by the end of August, and I expect it will have no major bugs so we can release.

One other thing, in KPro 5, there are no "Title-Lyric-Credit" page structures. You have full ablity to create any type of appearing page on any page in the song, including a full graphic image on each page with text overwriting it (highlighting to the music or not) if it would work for your song. You can have lines highlight or not (title page lines don't sweep to the music), use any font-size-color-attributes (bold, italic, underline) on each character. There is total flexibility to do whatever you want to do. Every CDG song format we have ever seen could be created by KPro 5.