View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Re: HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN E NORTH
The very first CD recorder I bought was an HP 7200. Great piece of equipment for recording data and music-but it is NOT compatible with CDG recording-period. Don't waste your time trying. Microstudio will NOT work with the 7200-nor will any other CDG recording software.

I later purchased an HP 8100 which definitely IS CDG compatible. I've been using it on and off now for several years. It's reliable but slow-maximum recording speed is 4X.

I use a Plextor 48 24 48U now for my CDG recording-but I've still got that old reliable HP 8100 and still use it once in a while-just for 'old times sake'.

There are still some web sites that sell the HP 8100. A friend of mine bought one a while back for $30.00-brand new in the box ! It would be a good 'starter' recorder until you're able to move up to a Plextor.

Happy recording !

Al North
Just a note here. We sold Sony drives in the past. The drive mechanism was really built by HP, as Sony doesn't make drives. We would buy 10 drives, test them with 3 CDG discs (the best media is REQUIRED to test a drive), and typically reject 4 to 6 of the 10 drives.

Thus, if you buy an older... Sony, HP, Yamaha, or Teac CDR drive, you have a 40%-60% chance that it will NOT work satisfactorily for CDG Karaoke work.

It is well known that the Plextor drives are far superior for READING and WRITING CDG discs. We still have some rejects, but far less than before.

My suggestion... save your money until you can afford a Plextor drive. You'll be glad you did. Our 52x IDE internal mount drive (faster than USB/Firewire drive interfaces) is only $109 plus freight.