View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeDj38030 View Post
ok uys need some input I just aquired a bar this week , It has been run into the ground as far as a reputation of the previous owner, how do I build it back up to what it used to be, a respectable bar where everybody can have a good time. I have already put the draft beer back into the bar, along with some new items that haven't been out long however I have to Get the PEOPLE back in the BAR for it to make a profit, or was I just crazy for thinking That I could save this bar rom becoming non-existant, which in Tennessee if a bar stays empty for six months with no beer lic. it can never be a bar again it's crazy but that is tennesse for ya. I love this little place have done many a show there when it was a hopping little place and I just want to see it florish yet again.
Don't try to promote the bar. Promote yourself. From the few dealings I have had with you, it seems that would be a better alternative. Don't miss a chance to tell everyone you meet that you are the new owner. Tell them what your vision is. I too, stepped into a situation like you are in. In the span of 2 years I had doubled annual sales. In the meantime, look for ways to economize. It really isn't important to have every new trendy thing that comes out, unless it is a high margin item. Stick to the basics. Try to limit the amount of $$ you carry in inventory. How many employees are we talking about? Could you do with one less?

There are only 2 ways to make more $$ in business. Get more customers, or get more dollars from the ones you have.

Getting customers is easier than you might think. Just talk to people. I don't spend 1 penny on radio ads anymore. They are not worth it. Do look for alternative advertisement with little or no $$ out of pocket. See if there are any local TV shows who would have you as a guest. Sell them on the idea of your karaoke prowess and knowledge. Show them how wonderful Hoster is. They may be interested in a news segment about karaoke. Look for events that you might attend to promote your business. Passing out flyers seems pretty cheesy, but it is very effective in the short term. Don't just paste them on cars though, put them in peoples hands. Introduce yourself.

As for getting more money out of your existing customers, talk to them. Find out what they spend their $$ on. Maybe you can provide something that they are going to purchase anyways. Every little bit helps. Maybe food, cigs, hell birthday cards if it makes you a couple of bucks. If you sell cigs, do you GIVE AWAY matches, or SELL lighters. How about a flower or stuffed animal for your sweetheart? You can have a beer while your shopping for that "perfect" gift. Do you have internet access there? Put in an unsecured wireless modem and offer free WIFI. Maybe they'll have a drink or a corndog while they surf the internet. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. The point is, open your mind to the possibilities. It is very hard work to get your feet under you in a new business. Don't get lazy and complain that people aren't showing up. GO OUT AND GET THEM!!